Multitrack Recording

shider

Multitrack Recording

Post by shider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 am

Hi there,

i wanted to ask if you are doing some multitracks recordings of yourself and if so, how your process looks like..

I've dabbled in it before, doing some recordings on my phone with an app, which syncs up the different video tracks and offers the option to play a clicktrack over headphones, but the result is at most mediocre (largely due to my own playing, but also because the app has its limits) and i would like to know if there are alternatives which are easy to set up and could be used to practice (i view this kind of recording mostly as practice on intonation, playing in time and to keep oneself motivated)

Greetings,
shider
imsevimse

Re: Multitrack Recording

Post by imsevimse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 am

I have done some multitrack recordings most with a portable 8 track studio. Biggest problem is intonation and time.

If you want a glimpse of my work they can be found at various places at my page
https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Process has been different.
Tried playing parts in order 1, 2, 3, 4 or in the reversed order or 1,2,3,4 and finally a new recording of 1.
Intonation is the problem when you do this, and to have all parts play together since I don't use a click track.

I guess a click track helps. I have not jet tried to record with a four part piano accompaniment as a support. I think the harmony could help intonation when doing the first parts and in the end it could be removed. That might be something to try out.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 am

I've done some, though not in a while.

I used Audacity on a laptop, an H2 connected for the microphone, and an Audacity generated clicktrack on an earbud in one ear.

I should really try again, I've improved my playing since last time.
Finetales

Post by Finetales » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:06 am

Audacity is the easiest way. It's really easy to do.
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:45 am

I do it in Audacity also.

The real question is what mics you use and how you place your mics. I think this can make or break a recording.

Return to “Technology”