M&W Custom Trombones is now open!

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

M&W Custom Trombones is now open for custom work to existing instruments, repairs and general service/cleaning for all brands. Contact us at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] or [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] for more information on pricing, etc. For those of you waiting on M&W Custom Instruments...We're almost there...stay tuned!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Woot! Good luck guys! Can't wait to see your work!
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Congratulations
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Great news!  If nothing else a good shop just north of Chicago is a great thing to have.

Good luck!!
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

ImageQuote from: BGuttman on Jul 27, 2015, 07:50PMGreat news!  If nothing else a good shop just north of Chicago is a great thing to have.

Good luck!!

ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

Where are you in Wisconsin?  Anywhere near Elkhorn?
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

We're in Jackson, WI, which is about an hour north of Elkhorn....

Matthew
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Can't wait to see the horns that appear!

Also, I am kinda amazed that no one had grabbed the "www.customtrombones.com" domain before. Good score!
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Hmm...  I wonder if M&W is the best choice of company names.  The name M&W is similar to M&M.  M&M is an importer of tubas from China.  I don't know the M&M folks and certainly don't have anything against them, but I just don't think "quality" when I come across their name.  I think "Chinese." 

Just thinking out loud here...    Image
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

M&M is also a candy.

I don't think M&W Custom Trombones is marketing to people who can't figure out the difference.   Image
ttf_Horn Builder

"M&W" stands for "McLemore" and "Walker". The 2 people who own and operate the business.

Hope this helps clarify....

Matthew

ttf_Jox

Post by ttf_Jox »

I'm sure you guys are qualified to do a cleaning/fixing on Greenhoe sections Image I'll try to have a valve section sent to you guys this summer. I'll contact you then
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: greenbean on Feb 28, 2016, 07:48AMHmm...  I wonder if M&W is the best choice of company names.  The name M&W is similar to M&M.  M&M is an importer of tubas from China.  I don't know the M&M folks and certainly don't have anything against them, but I just don't think "quality" when I come across their name.  I think "Chinese." 

When you front the capital and build a hell of a custom trombone, you can pick the name.  Image
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: Horn Builder on Feb 28, 2016, 10:31AM"M&W" stands for "McLemore" and "Walker". The 2 people who own and operate the business.

Hope this helps clarify....

Matthew

Thanks, Matthew!  No offense intended.  Best of luck!
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Feb 28, 2016, 09:07AMM&M is also a candy.

And we all know that M&Ms don't play trombone.

ttf_Socal77

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

From what I have seen from Matthew and Michael so far, their trombones will speak for themselves and the name will be well recognized by market they are catering to.

The name will not matter. After all, trombone/brass manufacturers have had some interesting branding.  Frank Holton created a great brand name by selling snake,.... I mean slide, oil.  And the first word in "Conn" is ...well, "con." What was CG thinking?  Only Vincent Schrotenbach was thoughtful about naming, shortening his name to "Bach" to make one think of J.S. Bach, and calling his instruments "Stradivarius" despite the fact that the only wood and strings, if any, involve a valve..  I wonder if Vincent could have gotten all that passed the FTC today.
ttf_Horn Builder

"Conn" was in fact the last name of Charles Gerard, the guy who founded the Conn company....

M
ttf_Socal77

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

Quote from: Horn Builder on Feb 29, 2016, 05:29PM"Conn" was in fact the last name of Charles Gerard, the guy who founded the Conn company....

M

Hello Matthew. Yes, I am aware of that Conn was Charles Gerard's last name.  Only making a point that just as Conn had no difficulty establishing a good brand-recognized following despite a pronunciation that does not conjure up a positive image, a couple of guys with last names starting with "M" and "W" will not have any issues either, contrary to the concern raised about a Chinese producer with a name that is similar.  Image

Good luck at the show in D.C.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Add to the mix "M-W" for Meinl Weston......high quality German brass instruments.
I think the M&W guys are in good company!!!

The site and instruments look fantastic.
Suggestion for your web master: Allow the product photos to enlarge when clicked, to show off the details of your workmanship!
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

Got to spend a little bit of time with the bass trombones so far at ATW. That dependent horn is on my short list. Very enjoyable to play.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I don't mean to revive a fairly old thread, but how's it going? It's been a fairly long time since I've seen M&W trombones mentioned around the forum/internet
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Follow them on Facebook.  They seem to be doing well and are making some absolutely stunning instruments! 
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Haven't seen them in person, but there are some great players with the horns out there.

They're definitely on my short list for the future.
ttf_SethMatrix

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

I love mine!

I've seen 3 in the wild.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Man I have quite a few friends that are playing them now. I look forward to blowing one at TMEA!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The ones that I was able to try at Midwest were in my opinion the best large bore tenors there. I am primarily a small bore player but these were incredibly easy to play including the trigger register. They did some work on my King (converting it to a screw bell) a while back and the craftsmanship was absolutely perfect. Even my tech (who is very picky about other people's work) said before I told him who did it, that it had to have been performed by someone with a lot of experience that knew exactly what they were doing. Check out the horns when you can, I'm sure you'll be impressed.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Baltimore Brass has a bass trombone for sale that hasn't hit their website yet.  Red brass bell, dependent; a 62H inspired trombone like one at the last American Trombone Workshop. Not sure of the price.  Plays like how I would imagine a sports car driving!     
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: KazKruszewski on Jan 25, 2017, 09:32AMBaltimore Brass has a bass trombone for sale that hasn't hit their website yet.  Red brass bell, dependent; a 62H inspired trombone like one at the last American Trombone Workshop. Not sure of the price.  Plays like how I would imagine a sports car driving!    

An M&W bass trombone?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Wade, who is Wade on the forum, has owned more trombones than anyone I have known, has one now. From what I understand, he really likes his. I tend to agree with the idea that it matters who is building the product. I have played some the Bachs that Dan Oberloh has rebuilt and they really played much better after they were put back together.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

ttf_Lou Natunze

Post by ttf_Lou Natunze »

Quote from: greenbean on Feb 28, 2016, 07:48AMHmm...  I wonder if M&W is the best choice of company names.  The name M&W is similar to M&M.  M&M is an importer of tubas from China.  I don't know the M&M folks and certainly don't have anything against them, but I just don't think "quality" when I come across their name.  I think "Chinese." 

Now,  I grew up in a life based on

Agriculture,

and to me,

'M&W' is a name famous for both

Quality  and  Utility.

Even today,

many people earn their income by

making reproductions of M&W products.

Amongst the many entries on this page, see          "M&W Gear, Gibson City, Illinois".

M&W Turbo Charger

M&W was best known for their after-market turbo-charger 'conversion kits',

which were designed to be used on the engines of many popular

agricultural tractors of the day (  1960's, 1970's ).

( Gee, I wish we had one on Mom's John Deere 4020 !  )

To me, the name M&W means a significant increase in Power !

And you might say that an M&W moves a lot of air !

Oh, and here's a used kit for sale.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all,
I see there aren't many reviews by M&W Custom trombone owners in this thread, so I'd like to offer one here. 

The more time I spend with my M&W 322-2R trombone, the more I love it.  It is a very easy and efficient instrument to play.  Even so, I've been told by listeners in the orchestra hall that my sound has been projecting with incredible clarity, while still blending well in the section.  I also find it is possible to blend well with the other various instrument timbres in the orchestra and the instrument's colorful sound is wonderful for chamber and solo rep.  It gives a nice balance of breadth and focus, with plenty of core and a full spectrum of overtones in the sound.

I've really come to appreciate the horn's focus - when I increase my dynamics, it feels like I'm turning a dial that extends the distance of projection.  The sound doesn't want to spread; it want's to penetrate farther into the room (which actually relates very intuitively to the corresponding air stream).  It's quite an accomplishment to make such a colorful instrument that is able to maintain focus so well at higher dynamics! 

I'd say that the biggest benefits of playing my M&W are the ease and efficiency of sound production, articulation clarity/response, and the extremely well-sorted intonation.  IT JUST WORKS!  It even seems to encourage air/embouchure efficiency - my playing consistency and endurance have both improved as I've played my M&W for the last 7 months. 

I've found the M&W bass trombones to be equally efficient and well-designed, with excellent ergonomics and craftsmanship!  The independent valves play incredibly evenly between the various combinations with smooth, quick operation.  You can really feel the quality of the instrument even just by activating the valve levers while holding the horn.  The smal details are done right and every element of the design was thoughtfully considered. 

I'm convinced that Matt and Michael are the premier trombone artisans of our time.  The fit, finish, design, and attention to detail that goes into each instrument is truly second to none.  I highly recommend that all trombonists try out M&W Custom trombones! 
I'm very excited to try the designs they come out with next!

If anyone has other questions about my experience with their instruments, I'm happy to answer.  I play-tested the basses pretty extensively on two occasions and have, so far, played my 322-R tenor in the orchestra, brass quintet, trombone quartet, trombone choir, solo rep, in the pit for multiple ballets, with organ & brass in church, and with an intimate orchestra/choir/soloists (Mozart Requiem - both on the alto part and tuba mirum). 

All the best,
Daniel

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all,
I see there aren't many reviews by M&W Custom trombone owners in this thread, so I'd like to offer one here. 

The more time I spend with my M&W 322-2R trombone, the more I love it.  It is a very easy and efficient instrument to play.  Even so, I've been told by listeners in the orchestra hall that my sound has been projecting with incredible clarity, while still blending well in the section.  I also find it is possible to blend well with the other various instrument timbres in the orchestra and the instrument's colorful sound is wonderful for chamber and solo rep.  It gives a nice balance of breadth and focus, with plenty of core and a full spectrum of overtones in the sound.

I've really come to appreciate the horn's focus - when I increase my dynamics, it feels like I'm turning a dial that extends the distance of projection.  The sound doesn't want to spread; it want's to penetrate farther into the room (which actually relates very intuitively to the corresponding air stream).  It's quite an accomplishment to make such a colorful instrument that is able to maintain focus so well at higher dynamics! 

I'd say that the biggest benefits of playing my M&W are the ease and efficiency of sound production, articulation clarity/response, and the extremely well-sorted intonation.  IT JUST WORKS!  It even seems to encourage air/embouchure efficiency - my playing consistency and endurance have both improved as I've played my M&W for the last 7 months. 

I've found the M&W bass trombones to be equally efficient and well-designed, with excellent ergonomics and craftsmanship!  The independent valves play incredibly evenly between the various combinations with smooth, quick operation.  You can really feel the quality of the instrument even just by activating the valve levers while holding the horn.  The smal details are done right and every element of the design was thoughtfully considered. 

I'm convinced that Matt and Michael are the premier trombone artisans of our time.  The fit, finish, design, and attention to detail that goes into each instrument is truly second to none.  I highly recommend that all trombonists try out M&W Custom trombones! 
I'm very excited to try the designs they come out with next!

If anyone has other questions about my experience with their instruments, I'm happy to answer.  I play-tested the basses pretty extensively on two occasions and have, so far, played my 322-R tenor in the orchestra, brass quintet, trombone quartet, trombone choir, solo rep, in the pit for multiple ballets, with organ & brass in church, and with an intimate orchestra/choir/soloists (Mozart Requiem - both on the alto part and tuba mirum). 

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Instruments”