Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just me, but I always try to get a seat close to the back. That way I'm in the first group onto the airplane (after 1st/business class). You can talk about your trombone to the flight attendants and they're usually interested and help you out.

NEVER the book last row. That's where they put the dirty seat cushions. The more budget the airline, the bigger chance of dirty seat cushions.
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

Any experience with united airlines? I upgraded to the early boarding option.

My aircraft is a Boeing 737-800, non-stop
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: trombone addict on Jul 16, 2013, 03:41PMAny experience with united airlines? I upgraded to the early boarding option.

My aircraft is a Boeing 737-800, non-stop

99.9% sure you'll have no problem. Have a good trip.
ttf_trombone addict

Great to hear! Thank you!  Image
ttf_Slod

Post by ttf_Slod »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Jul 16, 2013, 03:46PM99.9% sure you'll have no problem. Have a good trip.

You should be good to go. I didn't know the SKBs are small enough to fit in overhead.

Just my ignorance, not trying to scare you.

ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Slod on Jul 16, 2013, 04:44PMYou should be good to go. I didn't know the SKBs are small enough to fit in overhead.

Just my ignorance, not trying to scare you.

If it has a dimension measurement less than 14in, it'll fit.
ttf_trombone addict

It surprisingly fit in the overhead w/o problems on my flight from Chicago. On its side of course...
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: tbonedude89 on Jul 19, 2013, 06:09AMGood news for all of us that fly with our instruments regularly:

http://www.bmi.com/mobile/news_entry/congress_passes_bill_standardizing_airline_rules_for_musical_instrument_sto

My understanding is that this isn't in practice because the Transportation Department has not yet issued the actual regulations to the airlines. It's the "Pending issuance of final regulations..." part of the above announcement.

US Musicians should probably contact their senators and reps to encourage them to encourage the new Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx get this one done. 

Until the regulations are issued the airlines can still make their own policies.

ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jul 19, 2013, 07:39AMMy understanding is that this isn't in practice because the Transportation Department has not yet issued the actual regulations to the airlines. It's the "Pending issuance of final regulations..." part of the above announcement.

US Musicians should probably contact their senators and reps to encourage them to encourage the new Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx get this one done. 

Until the regulations are issued the airlines can still make their own policies.
From the linked file above:

Quote...the new FAA rules won’t go into effect until final regulations have been issued, which, according to the bill, will be “no later than two years after the date of enactment.”
Gotta love this great country, don'tcha? The report is dated "FEBRUARY 1, 2012.—Ordered to be printed." It was "passed"...signed, sealed and delivered...through Obama's desk on 2/16/12.

And yet..."...the Transportation Department has not yet issued the actual regulations to the airlines. It's the "Pending issuance of final regulations..." part of the above announcement." If this is true...a link would be nice, robcat...ten about a year and a half after it was passed with some kind of bureaucratic promise that “no later than two years after the date of enactment” it would go into effect, another part of that same bureaucracy has not taken care of the business of iunforming the airlines exasctly what those "regulations" may be.

Gotta love it.

Bureaucratic gridlock, up and down the system
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: sabutin on Jul 19, 2013, 09:50AMIf this is true...a link would be nice, robcat...

I will grant you that it is a bit confusing.  Here is the text of the whole bill.

If you skim it you will note that this FAA Modernization Act covers many more issues than musical instruments.  It's possible that getting some of the other, more critical (safety?) items right has taken priority over our particular interest.

Near the top of the bill is this broad direction:

QuoteSEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.

Except as otherwise expressly provided, this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

However, many of the subsections, including the musical instrument subsection (quoted below) have one of those "otherwise expressly provided" time limits allowed (bolded below)

Quote    (a) In General- Subchapter I of chapter 417 is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘Sec. 41724. Musical instruments

‘(a) In General-

‘(1) SMALL INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE- An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if--

‘(A) the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and

‘(B) there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft.

‘(2) LARGER INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE- An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a musical instrument that is too large to meet the requirements of paragraph (1) in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to the cost of the additional ticket described in subparagraph (E), if--

‘(A) the instrument is contained in a case or covered so as to avoid injury to other passengers;

‘(B) the weight of the instrument, including the case or covering, does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft;

‘(C) the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator;

‘(D) neither the instrument nor the case contains any object not otherwise permitted to be carried in an aircraft cabin because of a law or regulation of the United States; and

‘(E) the passenger wishing to carry the instrument in the aircraft cabin has purchased an additional seat to accommodate the instrument.

‘(3) LARGE INSTRUMENTS AS CHECKED BAGGAGE- An air carrier shall transport as baggage a musical instrument that is the property of a passenger traveling in air transportation that may not be carried in the aircraft cabin if--

‘(A) the sum of the length, width, and height measured in inches of the outside linear dimensions of the instrument (including the case) does not exceed 150 inches or the applicable size restrictions for the aircraft;

‘(B) the weight of the instrument does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft; and

‘(C) the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator.

‘(b) Regulations- Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this section, the Secretary shall issue final regulations to carry out subsection (a).

‘(c) Effective Date- The requirements of this section shall become effective on the date of issuance of the final regulations under subsection (b).’.

(b) Conforming Amendment- The analysis for such subchapter is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘41724. Musical instruments.’.

These new rules might seem like common sense but I'll note that the airlines and other industries have a long history of not behaving with common sense where the public is concerned until big bad government came along and made specific regulations that forced them to behave as if they had common sense.

Yes, it is slow-moving bureaucracy but without the bureaucracy it would not happen at all.

ttf_Jeb Bishop

Post by ttf_Jeb Bishop »

I'd like to share my recent experience flying American Airlines.

I flew to San Francisco via LA on July 24 for a project there. As I always do, I had my horn with me at the gate (Conn 78H in a hard Eastman case) and expected to take it on board. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky, but I haven't had anyone stop me from doing that, ever, on planes where it will fit in the overhead, in over ten years and hundreds of flights with the horn, on many different airlines. Employees have often gone out of their way to help me find a place to put it even on smaller planes where it really won't fit in the overhead. Sometimes in those cases I've had to gate-check it, which is understandable.

However, on this occasion this was a plane (737) with plenty of room in the overhead, but the guy at the gate would not let me board with the horn, period. I'll spare you the details of the back-and-forth, but he was a typical inflexible rulebook-parroting type. I had to gate-check the horn to LA. (When I boarded, there was an empty overhead bin directly opposite my seat.) It was fine upon arrival, luckily, but I don't want to have to bet on that regularly.

The trip involved three more legs, all on AA: LAX-SFO, then returning a week later SFO-DFW and DFW-RDU. No one gave me any trouble about boarding with the horn on any of those, as per my usual experience.

When I got home, I wrote a letter of complaint to AA about it. I made the usual arguments, emphasizing also that if AA is going to be inconsistent in this way I'll have no choice but to stop flying with them.

The reply, which came promptly, stated that AA is making a renewed push to train agents to comply with their (AA's) rules, and that, essentially, according to their rules I should not be allowed to board with the trombone.

That got another letter from me, which ended as follows:

"In light of these considerations, I have no choice but to stop flying American Airlines, effective immediately, and to communicate to as many colleagues, friends, fans, and followers on social media as I can that AA is not a musician-friendly airline, and that I recommend against flying AA. If AA changes their policy in the future, perhaps as required by the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, I'll be happy to revisit my decision then."

So -- please consider that communicated!

[Edit:] I found this part of their reply weird: "Case dimensions may not exceed 45 linear inches (width+length+height). The only exception is guitars; they can exceed the 45-inch restriction but must be safely stored in an overhead bin or approved area in the cabin."
Why only guitars?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Jeb Bishop on Aug 15, 2013, 02:08PM
 essentially, according to their rules I should not be allowed to board with the trombone.

They actually said that? Yikes.
ttf_Jeb Bishop

Post by ttf_Jeb Bishop »

Jeff: not in those words, but it is directly implied by "Case dimensions may not exceed 45 linear inches (width+length+height). The only exception is guitars"; etc., and by what she said about current training of agents. I'll forward you the reply I got.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I carry on my double case, and usually get a lot of trouble for it, but i always fit it up top once i fight it through TSA and the Preflight people
ttf_Jeff Albert

Post by ttf_Jeff Albert »

Jeb: we all know how seemingly random it can be, or arbitrary given the agent's whim. Like the flight in Spain, where he let you put yours in the closet and made me check mine, and we were standing right next to each other with identical cases.

Given that response from AA, I might go over her head. That seems like the wrong answer on a couple of levels.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

I flew US Airways to ITF, my first flight that was not on southwest in a very long time. I had issues with the gate agents, but none once I got on board. (Never flyiing with the, again though) I had an agent chase me, yelling, down the jetway with a gate check tag...after I had scanned my boarding pass etc. and another forced me to leave to gate and go to a supervisor.

I just flew back east from CA on southwest. No issues. Other than the toddler having a screaming tantrum all the way from SAN to BWI. I felt bad for those parents....and impressed by that kids stamina.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Sometimes it's best to just take the gate check tag, put it in your pocket, and carry your horn on the plane.
ttf_Jeb Bishop

Post by ttf_Jeb Bishop »

Doug: I actually tried that this time, but the guy made me leave it with him at the top of the jet bridge, instead of dropping it off right before getting on the plane.
ttf_Frank Longino

Post by ttf_Frank Longino »

Next week I'm flying with a bass in one of the new protec cases with a styrofoam cone in the bell as suggested by Doug Yeo.  I'll be on three different planes there and back, two of them small planes so its going to have to be checked.  I'll definitely be taking it to the gate so ill have as much control of the horn as possible.  Maybe I'll get lucky and I can get it on the the larger plane.  I'll let everyone how it turns out.   I really have no choice since I can't afford to buy a seat for the horn.   Il be using all the tips and tricks learned here but it seems that it's basically a craps shoot.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Doug writes:

QuoteSometimes it's best to just take the gate check tag, put it in your pocket, and carry your horn on the plane.
And Jeb writes:

QuoteDoug: I actually tried that this time, but the guy made me leave it with him at the top of the jet bridge, instead of dropping it off right before getting on the plane.

Here's the deal.

The corporate world is our enemy, almost everywhere. We do something that is not common, and corporate clones...on any and every level...are in the business of "the middle." Why? 'Cuz that's where the money is. Duh.

Ok...what to do, what to do?

Fool 'em every chance you get and cover your rear end when you can't fool 'em.

As follows:

1-Be sure to put your horn in a case that is airplane and...hopefully... TSA proof. I use an SKB Universal case for my tenors. If I travelled w/a bass I'd use an SKB golf case and check it into luggage.

2-Try to get the early clones...the ones at the check-in procedure...to let you gate check it. If they absolutely, positively will not, insist on watching the TSA inspection procedure. Otherwise the TSA minimum wage monkeys are liable to repack the horn backwards and upside down. You are legally allowed to do this...if the various clones with whom you have to negotiate know the law. If not? Either say a prayer or be ready to go on the no-fly list.

3-You are fairly sure to get through the TSA personal inspection/security line w/out incident, especially if you put your case through the x-ray tunnel before you let them see your m'pces, etc. The people who work there are usually at least smart enough to recognize a musical instrument and to be able to differentiate it from a rocket launcher, but if they see small metallic objects...and you should always carry your m'pce(s) outside of your case so that if said monkeys somehow reroute your horn to the wrong continent  or steal it for scrap metal you will have some chance of playing a borrowed/rented horn w/out having to deal with a trashed Herco 12C m'pce or worse as well...if they see small metallic objects in a backpack w/out first seeing an instrument they are liable to panic, especially if you have a tube of Trombotine or a container of Yamaha Slide oil and an empty spray bottle in the same bag. Always remember the underwear and shoe bombers. The monkeys do. Bet on it. We could be the next wave. Also...leave the gate check tag on the case until after you have passed through the security area. After that? By all means, take the tag off of the case and carry both the tag and the receipt in your pocket.

4-Assuming that you have made it to the waiting area near the gate, it is then time to take every precaution possible to make sure that the gate monkeys do not see the case!!! My SKB is a little unwieldy for this part of the deal, but I manage. I carry a raincoat whenever possible...or a long winter coat...and I keep the case covered while I wait for the plane to start to load. Covered and as far away as possible from the gate monkeys at my particular gate. I also try to get a seat that will load in early rather than late, because the flight attendants generally are much more amenable to cases before the hordes of desperate passengers trying to save a dollar-three-eighty in baggage check-in fees flood the plane with their belongings.

5-So there you finally are, on line to board the plane. Find the biggest, ugliest, noisiest, most obnoxious people on line and stand behind them with your case as well tucked under your armpit as you can manage and your raincoat draped over that shoulder, making sure that the gate attendant is going to be on the opposite side of that shoulder. Try to look as inconspicuous as possible...I find that wearing drab-colored clothes, a pair of cheap drugstore glasses and an old baseball cap is very effective, myself...and have your boarding pass and whatever else they may want in your free hand. Either do not meet their eyes or give them a cheerful...but not too cheerful...greeting. They most often won't even know you there, let alone your horn.

6-And on into the tunnel. Try to stay as close behind the big, ugly, obnoxious people as you can, and look ahead to suss out on which side the gate check watchers, flight attendants etc. are standing. Shift your horn to the other shoulder if you must, keeping it well covered by your coat. If they do not take it away from you despite your best efforts...this sometimes happens, and that's why I use an SKB Universal with a  good luggage tie around it so that it will not fall open when the plane hits an air pocket or lands badly...you are pretty well there.

7-And on into the plane. You have it made by now...if of course your case actually fits in the overheads. The flight attendants generally have more things to worry about than you and your trombone. Flash your seat assignment at them and be gone.

Of course, all kinds of things can go wrong here. However, on the numerous flights that I have taken since I started using the SKB case about 10 years ago, I would say that I have been successful in getting my horn on the plane well over 90% of the time. Better 90% than never. Flight attendants are usually the friendliest, smartest people on the whole line of folks with whom you will have to deal, and a number of times they have helped me...put the horn in a closet or in unused luggage racks near the rich seats...when all seemed lost.

There 'tis.

Seven Steps To (Airline) Heaven.

Check it out.

Later...

S.
ttf_salsabone

Post by ttf_salsabone »

Great advice Sam,
I had no problem with my Pbone to and from New Orleans recently.  Of course, it is not as big as a regular trombone case!!!!
salsabone
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Hey everyone, I'm flying out to Washington for a week to visit family. I need to practice since the day I get back is the first day of classes.

I'm going to take my 50B in my Protec tenor case- it fits pretty well and as far as I know, I can take the protec on board with no problems. Any opinions there?

Also, what is the word on lubes? I don't think I'll need to take everything, but I would like to take slide stuff and assorted valve lubes. I'm not planning on checking any luggage.
ttf_trombone addict

I always put my lubes in my luggage but since you're not bringing luggage I doubt you could do much.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 04, 2014, 04:20PMAlso, what is the word on lubes? I don't think I'll need to take everything, but I would like to take slide stuff and assorted valve lubes. I'm not planning on checking any luggage.

- Don't bring anything with a needle tip
- Make sure no bottle/tube is more than 3oz
- Put in a clear 32oz plastic bag along with all your toiletries
- Keep all the trombone stuff toward the center of the bag, hidden by the "normal" stuff

The more it looks like a typical bag full of shampoo, toothpaste, etc the less likely it will be noticed. Different is a red flag, normal goes unnoticed.

ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Jan 04, 2014, 05:20PM- Don't bring anything with a needle tip
- Keep all the trombone stuff toward the center of the bag, hidden by the "normal" stuff

The more it looks like a typical bag full of shampoo, toothpaste, etc the less likely it will be noticed. Different is a red flag, normal goes unnoticed.

Alright. I'll probably just hide my Yamaha slide stuff with my toothpaste and not in the case (and no valve lubes).

ttf_Doug Elliott

D.C. or State?  If it's D.C. give me a shout.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Jan 04, 2014, 05:20PM- Don't bring anything with a needle tip

I haven't had an issue getting my trombone stuff on, the only specification is on the size of the container. I do bring the oils with the needle tips etc without a problem.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: LizM on Jan 04, 2014, 06:44PMI haven't had an issue getting my trombone stuff on, the only specification is on the size of the container. I do bring the oils with the needle tips etc without a problem.

I've not had an issue either. I leave the needle tips at home just because if anything will raise an eyebrow it'll be that. I fly a lot and have been for 30+ yrs. My #1 rule that has allowed me to fly w/o hassle is do everything to blend in and don't draw attention.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jan 04, 2014, 06:06PMD.C. or State?  If it's D.C. give me a shout.

I wish, other side of the country though. May be moving nearer you in a few months!

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Jan 04, 2014, 07:08PMI've not had an issue either. I leave the needle tips at home just because if anything will raise an eyebrow it'll be that. I fly a lot and have been for 30+ yrs. My #1 rule that has allowed me to fly w/o hassle is do everything to blend in and don't draw attention.

Guess I'll shave my huge beard and leave the headwrap at home Image
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 04, 2014, 08:36PMGuess I'll shave my huge beard and leave the headwrap at home Image

Depending on who is working the security screen, needle tip valve oil may be more of an issue.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Harold, I'd like to ask you for some advice here,

I'll be flying from Chicago to Norfolk, VA soon to visit my son, and don't want to lose momentum on the horn. In the past, I've packed up my Holton TR-180 with a Styrofoam cone, a few kitchen towels and some foam rubber, wrapped the case with electrical tape and checked it in with the skycaps at O'Hare as luggage. Flown several times and never had an issue.

This time I want to take my new (to me) Shires bass (BI2RGLW) in it's Marcus Bonna case. Typically, the Chicago-Norfolk flights are on those aircraft that seat about 50 people and have 2 seats on one side of the aisle and one seat on the other side. I always see people checking in strollers , luggage, etc... as they get ready to board. Larger than a "puddle jumper" but not a huge aircraft.

What would be your recommendations to me in order to ensure complete safety of my horn and what procedures must I follow? I read what you had to say about the valve oils, etc...

(I always check my suitcase as luggage, but carry on a Land's End soft "shoulder bag" as well as a CPAP machine in it's carrying case.)

Many thanks,

Ron Rosenbaum
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: Swingray on Jan 05, 2014, 01:29AMSlightly off the subject, but have you seen this?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2014/01/01/customs-officials-destroys-flute-virtuoso-instruments/HRnFgh1FwIqY5n2FdoKlMN/story.html

Yes. Thankfully, most trombones aren't made out of exotic/illegal woods. At least as far as I know.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Complete safety of your horn?  Leave it at home.

Too much risk, don't take it.  You won't be able to carry it on.

ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Evil Ronnie on Jan 05, 2014, 12:56AMHarold, I'd like to ask you for some advice here,

I'll be flying from Chicago to Norfolk, VA soon to visit my son, and don't want to lose momentum on the horn. In the past, I've packed up my Holton TR-180 with a Styrofoam cone, a few kitchen towels and some foam rubber, wrapped the case with electrical tape and checked it in with the skycaps at O'Hare as luggage. Flown several times and never had an issue.

This time I want to take my new (to me) Shires bass (BI2RGLW) in it's Marcus Bonna case. Typically, the Chicago-Norfolk flights are on those aircraft that seat about 50 people and have 2 seats on one side of the aisle and one seat on the other side. I always see people checking in strollers , luggage, etc... as they get ready to board. Larger than a "puddle jumper" but not a huge aircraft.

What would be your recommendations to me in order to ensure complete safety of my horn and what procedures must I follow? I read what you had to say about the valve oils, etc...

(I always check my suitcase as luggage, but carry on a Land's End soft "shoulder bag" as well as a CPAP machine in it's carrying case.)

Many thanks,

Ron Rosenbaum

Hi Ron

Well what Doug said is right.... nothing is 100% safe or fool proof. However, we do need to travel with our horns so we do the best we can....

That said... I try NEVER to check my horn "as luggage". (ie, at the curb or ticket counter) It seems a lot of the issues occur from the time it leaves your hand there 'til it gets to the tarmac. Pack your horn in the MB case as you did with the cone, towels, etc (no need for duct tape though) and treat it as a carry-on bag. Removing all the lubes and packing them with toiletries will greatly reduce any potential hassle at the security check.

Once at the gate, if it's a full size jet, you're golden - it'll fit in the overhead. If it is a small jet or turbo-prop (like your flight to Norfolk) get a tag from the gate attendant and ask that it be "checked like a stroller" (hand carried from the end of the jet-way to the tarmac and returned to you in like fashion). Once the boarding process starts, take the horn to the plane and ask the flight attendant if you can stow it in the coat closet. You'll have a 50/50 shot with this as the crew usually stows their bags there and the floor may be taken up with their stuff or especially this time of year, they may need the space for actual coats!! If they say OK -- You're set.

If you get a "sorry, no can do", you'll have to gate check. Avoid leaving it on a luggage lift or unattended by the jet-way door. Ask if you can wait to hand it off to someone to hand carry it to the tarmac and have it returned in like fashion. (that is why you got a "stroller tag" from the gate attendant) Hand it to the person, ask them to please stow it carefully.

FWIW, despite most of the horror stories on this thread, I've had good luck and decent success on MANY flights using this method. (knock wood) I flew for 20+ yrs with a leather RB bag and for the last 8 with an Accord Case.

Another travel tip is whenever possible, try to get on the plane in the first 1/4-1/3 of the boarding process on a full size jet. Either buy up to a "premium seat" or boarding spot or book a seat toward the rear of the plane. This will increase your chances of getting space in the overhead bin.

Good luck and safe travels.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I flew 5 times last month going through security both here and in Eastern Europe. I had needle tip valve oil, slide-o-mix, tuning slide grease, and an empty spray bottle in the baggy and had no issues. I had the bag out on top of my coat in the tray so they could see it.

Others in the ensemble had bags checked for things such as mouthpieces in the bottom of their bag. Or in the case of a clarinetist, her dangerous reeds and clarinet stand.

When I checked my bass here in the states I asked and was told that if it was opened it would be after going through the x-ray tube by check-in so I could watch there to see if they would open it. In Europe it was always opened and I just saw the sticker on the other end telling me they opened it. The 3 times they opened it there they did not seem to understand how to use the velcro on the slide properly...
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

In your luggage, wrapped with lots of clothes.
ttf_trombone addict

Here's an update. So far on my college auditions, I've carried my large bore shires tenor in an SKB 462 case onto all the flights I've taken. Granted, I make sure I fly a 737 at the minimum and the 767 I flew to San Francisco had more than enough room for my horn in the overhead.

I haven't had any problems getting it onto the plane so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed; I still have to fly to and from Boston and NYC...
ttf_basstrombonist

Post by ttf_basstrombonist »

What mutes?
ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

Here is one for you....  In 1977 I flew from Little Rock to Merida, Mexico with my 88H in the old original black case.  While in Mexico I bought a giant machete in a leather scabbard.   Like the dumma$$ college kid I was, I put the machete in my trombone case, locked it with the little cheap key, and checked it.   I went through customs in New Orleans and flew on to little rock without any problems.   The horn was fine and the machete was still there.    I still have it, but sold the horn years ago.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Recently a friend of mine flew to NYC to perform in the Mary's Parade, on the way there he left it right outside the plane door just like strollers, wheelchairs, etc. On the way home he was forced to check it as luggage, therefore he literally covered every square inch in fragile stickers. He was using a generic marching euphonium case. When we arrived home the case was completely bashed in on the sides, the hinges broken off, the corner broken off to where some of the foam almost revealed the instrument, but whenever he went to the luggage claim at OIA he was told they couldn't do anything about it since "nothing on the inside was damaged. American Airlines at its best.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Today I was informed by American Airlines that their policy is to not gate check or check instruments unless absolutely necessary.

HOLY CRAP! 

The said if it didn't fit in the overhead they would talk to the crew about finding room for it in the closet… they've never actually volunteered that information before - this must be a new policy with them regarding musical instruments.

Imagine that - a business looking out for it's business customers.  I was floored.  I had to send them a thank-you letter on their facebook page I was so stunned.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Wow. That's good to know. I've been using an skb462 for all my traveling.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Didja' here about the Canadian recorder (flute) musician who had some very old, very rare and very precious recorders CONFISCATED by TSA because they were made from exotic woods?

Wow...  I wonder if he/she ever got them back? 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi All. I have read the Forum from time to time but this is my first post. One of the bands I play in is going from Seattle to Seoul to Shanghai to perform in a parade and then back home. For the marching band I have a P-Bone. The horn in its case is about 4" or 6" over the carry-on limit for Korean Airlines. Does anyone have have any experience in international travel and horns? Is there any affordable hard cases for a P-Bone? I am kind of stressing over this right now.
ttf_Doug Elliott

I can't imagine that Korean Air is any different from all the others.  People carry on things all the time that are over the official size but they fit in the overhead.

Just like all gig bags, carry it so it's always behind you and the gate agent doesn't see it.

On one flight in China I had a window seat and I held my gig bag right in my seat between my leg and the wall.
ttf_Manexbi

Post by ttf_Manexbi »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Aug 08, 2014, 01:10AMI can't imagine that Korean Air is any different from all the others.  People carry on things all the time that are over the official size but they fit in the overhead.

Just like all gig bags, carry it so it's always behind you and the gate agent doesn't see it.

On one flight in China I had a window seat and I held my gig bag right in my seat between my leg and the wall.

That would make me a really unconfortable trip but could be good for small guys!!!

ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: bildotcom on Aug 07, 2014, 10:30PMt. One of the bands I play in is going from Seattle to Seoul to Shanghai to perform in a parade and then back home.

Is this The Beat Goes On Marching Band?
ttf_bildotcom

Post by ttf_bildotcom »

Quote from: SilverBone on Aug 08, 2014, 06:42PMIs this The Beat Goes On Marching Band?

Yes this is.

It sounds like our travel agent has finally contacted the airlines and let them know what we have and we should not have problems with carry on.

Thank for everyone's input.

Bill C.

Return to “Instruments”