Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!

ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

flew out of Nashville on Sunday about 9 AM.  This time I was no. 26 to get on, from KC, I was no. 19.

again no problem, two guys with what looked to be guitars (naturally) also walked on with their instruments.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

news you might have to know:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-23/travel/flier.protection.rules_1_lengthy-tarmac-delays-passenger-rights-international-flights?_s=PM:TRAVEL

QuoteAirline passengers get new protections
August 23, 2011|By A. Pawlowski, CNN

Flying may get just a little less frustrating and a bit more transparent starting Tuesday, when new federal airline passenger protection rules go into effect.

"It's huge," said Kate Hanni, founder of FlyersRights.org, who has fought for the changes for years.

"If you're flying on (Tuesday), you're 400% better off than you were before." . . .

Bumping compensation gets a boost

Passengers involuntarily bumped from oversold flights are now eligible for more money.

Under the new rule, bumped passengers can get up to $650 if the airline can get them to their destination within a short period of time (within one to two hours of their originally scheduled arrival time for domestic flights), or up to $1,300 if they are delayed for a long time.

Before Tuesday, the amounts were capped at $400 and $800 respectively.

Inflation adjustments will be made to the compensation limits every two years.

Always take cash rather than flight vouchers, Hanni advised. . . .

International flights get tarmac delay limit

International flights stuck on U.S. airport tarmacs more than four hours must now allow passengers to get off the plane or face huge fines, with exceptions allowed for safety, security or air traffic control-related reasons.

Macsata called it a step forward, but said he would have preferred for this protection to be consistent with the three-hour rule that already exists for domestic flights. . . .

International airlines operating to and from the United States must now post contingency plans for lengthy delays, customer service plans and contracts of carriage on their websites.

Bag fee refunds

If you pay extra to check a piece of luggage and the airline loses your bag, it must now refund the bag fee. (Airlines already must compensate passengers for lost or damaged baggage.) . . .

fees.

More to come

This isn't the end of new rules for fliers.

The federal government postponed a handful of other consumer protections that were scheduled to go info effect Tuesday after airlines and travel agents said they needed more time to implement the changes.

Those rules, now set to begin on January 24, 2012, will require airlines to prominently disclose all potential fees on their websites and will ban carriers from raising prices after a ticket purchase.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey all,

I know its an old thread, but I have an interesting problem...  I need to fly out to Arizona (from JFK) in mid February for my grad audition at ASU.  I'm flying jet blue and plan on bringing my bass trombone in the new protec contour bass bone case.  Does anyone know if this will fit in the overhead of an Airbus A320?  I'm pretty sure it will fit (although it exceeds the dimensions set out in the airline's musical instrument policy, which contradicts its normal carry-on size requirements).  If I need to, I'll buy an extra seat (though I don't want to unless I absolutely need to).

Thoughts?

Peter Celentano
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Peter, buying a seat might not actually work. I believe the letter of the regulation is that they can't put anything in a seat that extends over the top of the headrest, so they might not let you put it there anyway. Good luck getting a refund in that case.

Here's my strategy these days:

First, carry your horn in a compact hard case, preferably one you can wear as a backpack. I use the Shires case, but the ProTec is also pretty good.

Whatever you do, don't say a word about your trombone until you are at the gate waiting to board. And even then, don't say anything until you are actually boarding. Then, very politely, ask the flight attendant checking boarding passes for a gate check tag. Tell him or her that you want to carry it on if at all possible, but that you would like a gate check tag just in case.

Then, carry your trombone with you onto the plane and assess the situation. If it fits in an overheard, put it there and don't say another word to anyone. If it doesn't, work your way back to the front of the plane and out to the area just outside the door of the plane and plant yourself there. If anybody asks, tell them you are waiting for the person who carries the hand-carried gate-check items, because you have a musical instrument and it needs to be handled with care, and you want to ask that person to please be careful with it. Explain to anyone that will listen that you are a music student on your way to an audition (or a professional musician on your way to a performance) and you really can't afford to have the instrument damaged.

Smile, be polite, but be very clear that you are determined to talk directly with the person who carries the bags. Sometimes a flight attendant will decide to be nice and put your trombone in their closet, where they usually have just enough room for an item like that. Worst case, you wait until the gate check guy shows up, and you put on the same smiling, polite face and explain the situation. I have gate-checked my horn this way several times...so far so good, no damage at all.

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: tbonedude89 on Dec 27, 2011, 02:32PMI'm flying jet blue and plan on bringing my bass trombone in the new protec contour bass bone case.  Does anyone know if this will fit in the overhead of an Airbus A320? 

A bass Trombone in an overhead compartment?  I'm doubtful.  It might fit but it would likely take up two other people's share of the space beyond yours. You'd want to be the first one to that compartment, at the least.

Buying an extra seat is a standard strategy for cellists and a cello in a cello case is bigger than a bass trombone in a bass trombone case.

Buying an anvil case for your horn might be on the same cost level as an extra seat and you'll still have the case for future journeys afterward.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

If the bell of your ProTec case has a dimension that is less than 14in it should fit in the overhead of any full size jet.

I've flown JetBlue several times over the past few years and my Accord case fits no problem.

Follow Gabe's strategy and you can't go wrong. If you can, get a seat toward the rear of the plane so you'll be one of the first to board. If they offer an upgrade for early boarding it might be worth the extra $$.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

I use a SKB golf case. You could also try shipping the horn. Up side is that you will be able to insure the horn.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've done it EXACTLY how Gabe described it, and it works without a flaw...the key is being polite, appear to be unassuming at first, and if need be, be pointed.  BUT, don't pull THAT card out until absolutely necessary!  Being polite will get you MUCH farther than anything else...smile a lot! The worst that has happened to me was I had to retreive my instrument at baggage once.  But it was brought out to me and handed to me by a baggage handler, with a statement that he had personally pulled it out from under the plane.  I opened it right there with him standing there and the horn was fine!
I have a ProTec Contour...

G
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Dec 28, 2011, 12:26AMYou could also try shipping the horn.

Works great if you're visiting Grandma..... maybe not so much if you're auditioning or on a multi city tour. Image
ttf_miketrombone

Post by ttf_miketrombone »

I still say check it in as bulletproof a case as you can, then you don't have the stress of wondering whether or not you'll get on the bad side of a power-tripping airline employee!  It's worked for me, no damage in 15 years of international travel.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Dec 28, 2011, 06:29AMWorks great if you're visiting Grandma..... maybe not so much if you're auditioning or on a multi city tour. Image

I used to send bicycles cross country like this when I managed a bicycle racing team. The team would spend two weeks racing on the east coast every summer.  The key is making sure that you contact the Hotel that you will be staying at to make sure it is something they can do. I used to pack $2,500.00 wheelsets and hope the baggage butchers didn't destroy them. The year I saw them load the bikes on wrong the plane was when I started sending the equipment UPS. The only time this was a problem was when UPS went on strike and we weren't sure if the bikes made it to Pa. Image It does require more planning and cost, but the peace of mind can be worth it.

Honostly, I have heard many carry on stories with happy endings and bad ones as well. Ralph Sauer designed the travel bone because he had a bad ending. Before that happened, he told me he always carried his horn on. I guess it comes down to what level of risk or inconvenience you are willing to take.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I know this has been discussed at length, but I cannot seem to find any specifics on this one. In March, I have to fly Delta for an audition and I am debating on how to take the horn. I have a "Tank" case, but the dimensions (I believe) put it 64 total linear inches. This is two inches above their requirement and it could be considered oversized baggage. The fee for oversized baggage is $175 each way.
     Because of this, I think it may be just as easy to purchase another seat for the horn since I only paid $310 for the round trip flight. I am getting a Cronkhite small double case and I have read a couple of posts that have said that they have problems purchasing the extra seat and since the trombone goes over the headrest, they have to check it.
     Can anybody provide some recent advice specifically as it pertains to Delta?  The audition is going to be stressful enough without having to deal with the flight!  Thanks everyone.

JP
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

If you're going to use your Tank case, check it. They may not even measure to see if it's 'oversize' esp if it's close enough. If you're using the small Cronkite, carry it on and put it in the overhead.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I don't fly so much because I don't like to be so high up in the air, its not natural, its many many years since I did it. But this summer I had to do it. Long flight... Image Image

I had my trombone with me. Inside the plane, with my trombone case. It did go in the drawer over the seat. I just told them I had to bring it with me. I told it was to much value to go the regular way under the plane. It did go OK after some talk.  Is it really so difficult to get the trombone inside the plane? Well it will take years before I do it again. I was so happy to be home on the ground again. All safe, both the trombone, me and my daughter.

Leif

ttf_JPMcAdara

Post by ttf_JPMcAdara »

After looking at another website, the Tank case may be 76 linear inches!  I know Delta is really tough on carry ons as well. Seriously frustrating.

JP
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I know this isn't what you want to hear JP, but I avoid flying Delta if at all possible, for exactly these reasons. In my experience they are the least helpful to  musicians with carry-ons. If I can, I fly either JetBlue or Continental.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

My experience with Delta is they used to be bad, they got better a couple years ago. I fly them more than I'd like due to they are the #2 airline in Tampa. A few months post-9/11 they gave me a real hassle on a return flight from KC. (still got my horn on board though) Recently they actually went out of their way to put my horn in a coat closet on a small regional jet. (w/o being asked!!!!)
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I just flew American to China and back, and also several different Chinese airlines on the tour.  I carried on my 2-piece gig bag with no problems, and the other players had full size cases that they also carried on every flight with no problems.  On the last leg the gate attendant tried to say my gig bag was two bags, but I replied that it was one instrument and that it was easier to stow that way.  Another agent said "that's a good line" and let me on.  The best way is to hold it low and walk with it parallel with your legs, on the opposite side from the agent so they don't even see it.  Most cases will fit in most overheads, and most flight attendants are more helpful about it once you're on the plane than most gate agents are before you get on the plane.

With a gig bag, my preference is to be the LAST person to put stuff in the overhead, because I can always find a place wthout worrying about somebody stuffing a suitcase on top of it.

On one of the Chinese airlines, they let me hold it vertically in front of me because with a 60 piece orchestra we had a plane full of instruments that filled the overheads.  You could probably get away with that on any airline by putting your coat or a magazine on top so they can't see it.  Just don't call attention to yourself at any step along the way.
ttf_JPMcAdara

Post by ttf_JPMcAdara »

I searched through and could not find anything on this one; has anyone tried to take a small Cronkhite double case on board? 

JP
ttf_Doug Elliott

Quote from: JPMcAdara on Jan 10, 2012, 03:10PMI searched through and could not find anything on this one; has anyone tried to take a small Cronkhite double case on board? 

JP

A failed attempt with something that questionable would not be worth the consequences.  If you have to take two horns I would check one or both inside an SKB golf case.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: JPMcAdara on Jan 10, 2012, 03:10PMI searched through and could not find anything on this one; has anyone tried to take a small Cronkhite double case on board? 

JP

A former student of mine plays in Germany. He flies internationally carring on his tenor/alto RB double.

As long as you have a dimension under 14in a case/bag will fit in the overhead of a full size (737 or larger) jet. The issue you may have with that bag is that it LOOKS big/bulky and may catch the eye of a gate agent. If you can't talk your way on, a gig bag will not fare well in a gate check.
ttf_JPMcAdara

Post by ttf_JPMcAdara »

Another little interesting loophole is that the website says that they WILL charge for an oversized instrument, but they WILL NOT charge for an oversized golf bag. I am not really sure why they give preferential treatment to golf bags. I think what I may do is check it in an SKB case and not say anything about it being an instrument. They won't even realize it is an instrument until it gets to the X-Ray and by that time it is past the gate agent.

JP
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: JPMcAdara on Jan 10, 2012, 04:24PMAnother little interesting loophole is that the website says that they WILL charge for an oversized instrument, but they WILL NOT charge for an oversized golf bag. I am not really sure why they give preferential treatment to golf bags. I think what I may do is check it in an SKB case and not say anything about it being an instrument. They won't even realize it is an instrument until it gets to the X-Ray and by that time it is past the gate agent.

JP

Keep in mind, TSA can and does open and check checked luggage.  There is no guarantee they'll put things back the way YOU packed them.  Elsewhere in this thread there is, I believe, a recommendation you ask to have TSA inspect the bag in front of you, so you can be sure they don't jam it in wrong, or leave a latch unlatched.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

If you check it in a golf case it'll never get near a gate agent. The gate agent is the one who scans your boarding pass when you board.

IMO, you need to relax.... you're way over thinking this. Doug Yeo has some great travel advice on his site. Steve Ferguson does as well on www.hornguys.com . People like Gabe Langfur, Sam Burtis and Doug Elliot who do tons of traveling have contributed great advice to this thread.

Read those things, choose the route that works best for your situation and go with it. It's really not as difficult as some on this thread would have you believe. Also the airline sites make it seem hard and have 'guidelines' that they themselves rarely follow. The key is act like you know what you're doing, don't tell them things they don't need to know and don't ask if it's OK- assume that it is OK.
ttf_JPMcAdara

Post by ttf_JPMcAdara »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Jan 10, 2012, 04:48PMIf you check it in a golf case it'll never get near a gate agent. The gate agent is the one who scans your boarding pass when you board.

IMO, you need to relax.... you're way over thinking this. Doug Yeo has some great travel advice on his site. Steve Ferguson does as well on www.hornguys.com . People like Gabe Langfur, Sam Burtis and Doug Elliot who do tons of traveling have contributed great advice to this thread.

Read those things, choose the route that works best for your situation and go with it. It's really not as difficult as some on this thread would have you believe. Also the airline sites make it seem hard and have 'guidelines' that they themselves rarely follow. The key is act like you know what you're doing, don't tell them things they don't need to know and don't ask if it's OK- assume that it is OK.

Thanks, Harold. I did mean ticket counter.  I have read quite a bit of the things and you are correct that I may be over thinking this.  There is quite a bit of conflicting info and it is always tough when you want to make sure your horn gets there in one piece. The more you look like you have done this a million times and you know what you are doing, the better off you will be, though.

JP
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

The first thing you need to look at is the type of plane you'll be on... big jets? small jets? turbo-prop? If it's all big jets either book yourself toward the back or pay a little extra to board early (some airlines have that). If you're going to be on some small planes you might consider checking the horn in your Tank or an SKB Golf if you don't have a good (Bonna, Accord, etc) case. If you carry on in a small plane try for the coat closet, if that doesn't work a gate check will be needed and a gig bag is REAL risky with that. One of those two-piece Cronkites might work for a small overhead.

Anyway.... good luck. It's not as bad as the horror stories you hear. Most of those are the exception rather than the rule. Visit Doug and Steve's sites, read some of the more rational posts on this thread and use what fits your situation and comfort level.

ttf_Doug Elliott

If you do use a golf case, make bubble-wrap pads several inches thick to put in the ends.  I fold several thinknesses of the big bubble type and tape it into one thick pad.  That way if it's dropped on the end, the gig bag will bounce off of an air cushion instead of slamming into the end.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

I have lately had good luck carrying on my horn with Southwest. Their overheads are two 'doors' with-out a divider, so the trombone case fits in. They also don't charge for checked bags; meaning that everyone doesn't have a carry on bag, a laptop, and a personal item. I've also been paying the $10 to get early check-in so I am one of the first people on to the plane. I have also been using a NY Custom case, as a back pack, and just carrying it on. When I get into the plane I haven't had any negative comments from the employees on board, many are helpful to find a place to put my horn if I was not early to board.

Auditions start in another week, lets hope that Southwest keeps up the good customer service, and I'll keep flying with them. Image
ttf_Doug Elliott

Yes, in my experience Southwest is the best bet for instruments.  They even have a specific written policy for upright bass trunks: I think it's only $50 and it has to be under 100 lbs.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Southwest is great... if only they did international.
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

I fly a lot on Southwest, they are great about instruments - there are two pilots I see on some runs who carry their guitars on! Several times, I've had flight attendants open the closet at the front and tell me to put the horn in there - then bring it out to me as we deplane - good service. Some even know that it's not "golf clubs" or a "saxophone"...
ttf_miketrombone

Post by ttf_miketrombone »

My dad was an airline pilot, so I did a lot of flying growing up.  In the old days when I was a kid in University before 9/11, sometimes the pilots would have me put my gig bag in the cockpit if there wasn't room elsewhere.  You can't even imagine that now!
ttf_lowcatjb

Post by ttf_lowcatjb »

Quote from: JPMcAdara on Jan 10, 2012, 04:24PMAnother little interesting loophole is that the website says that they WILL charge for an oversized instrument, but they WILL NOT charge for an oversized golf bag. I am not really sure why they give preferential treatment to golf bags. I think what I may do is check it in an SKB case and not say anything about it being an instrument. They won't even realize it is an instrument until it gets to the X-Ray and by that time it is past the gate agent.

JP

I've done this three times over the past year or so, and it's true that they generally don't say boo when they see "golf clubs."  The TSA doesn't care when they see an instrument in the case, because they only care that it won't blow up.  I've just been checking my "clubs" without saying anything about what's in the case at all.

I also haven't had any damage occur.  I have to put the horn in my old Reunion Blues bag, since my ProTec case doesn't fit, and I put in my mutes, trombone stand, and some socks and underwear to help pad things, and there has been no damage to the horn so far.  Even so, you might want to get some bubble wrap or something for extra padding.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Has anybody had recent experience with Delta?  I have to fly on a Delta flight in a few days.  I know they used to be a pain about instruments.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Feb 03, 2012, 12:04PMHas anybody had recent experience with Delta?  I have to fly on a Delta flight in a few days.  I know they used to be a pain about instruments.

They've loosened up a lot.  Just try and get on the plane relatively early so that there's space!
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Feb 03, 2012, 12:04PMHas anybody had recent experience with Delta?  I have to fly on a Delta flight in a few days.  I know they used to be a pain about instruments.

Hey Doug,

In the past, Delta was the worst of all the airlines for instruments...Northwest, which was purchased by them, was a lot better, so maybe they are better now; I've avoided Delta for a long time because of a couple of anguishing experiences with them (turned out okay but was a big hassle).
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

No problems for me with Delta in the past few years.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

From an AFM press release dated 2/7/12 -

[paraphrased] In the just passed FAA Re-authorization Bill, language is included which creates a uniform policy for musical instruments on airplanes. Any instrument that can fit in an overhead or be stored underneath a seat may be brought on-board as carry-on luggage. Weight and size requirements for checked instruments have also been set as well as allowances for a seat to be purchased for larger, delicate instruments (like cellos) which can't be checked.

The AFM has been lobbying Congress for this policy for over a decade. It passed the House 248-169 and the Senate 75-20. The President is expected to sign the bill.
ttf_digitaltrombone

Post by ttf_digitaltrombone »

Things change, but I have never had any trouble getting my gig bag onboard, plenty of room in the cabinet above the seat, also in smaller jets. But things can change...
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Just saw an article in the paper the other day, saying that many airlines are upgrading the size and/or access to their overhead storage. Seems that lots of folks are having trouble stowing their carryons, because more folks are using them, rather than pay a fee for checked bags. So, things may get a little easier as far as stowing our horns.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Hey Wally !

As an all-too frequent business traveler, I'll be interested to see how this plays out.  The changes that airlines have been making to storage bins over the years have generally made them deeper, to be able to accommodate roll-aboard bags wheels first (thereby fitting more than if the wheels were to the right or left).  Odd shaped cases and the like, while they will fit in an empty bin, will continue to be a challenge depending of where you are in the boarding pecking order.  I marvel at the amount of stuff (and how stuffed!) the bags people carry on are!  As jet sizes continue to be optimized to routes and flights are more crowded, the fight for overhead space will cointinue to be fun!  And while the new rules that I read about in the IM will make it easier to avoid the arguements with staff at boarding as you ty to get the horn on board, its not necessarily going to help you find space once on board.

The key really is to get on the flight as early as you can so you can get space, even if it means trying to keep yourself on one carrier as a rule and earn your way into a higher tier in their rewards program which allows early boarding.  As an aside, I recently flew JetBlue to Buffalo, and paid $20 more for more leg room.  To my surprise, that included expedited screening queues at JFK and early boarding!  That was a pleasant surprise!

Just my view .....

Pete

Good luck!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I fly twice a week and ALWAYS book myuself in row 20 to guarantee that I'm on board in the first group. I always fly on JetBlue. The folks in Rochester know me, so I NEVER have a problem there. JFK can present a bit of concern, but it's rarely been warranted.

DG
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all,

I've been flying a fair amount recently, but have noticed that it's becoming more difficult to get my trombone on board with me. Most often, I can only take my case to the plane, whereupon it is taken to be stored with the strollers and golf bags. So far, I haven't had any damage on my horn.
I have noticed that more and more passengers are taking bigger and bigger bags with them on the flight, means I can't store my instrument even if I get onboard with it!
The more expensive carriers are normally more flexible with luggage, and I find are cheaper than the "cheap" carriers (and less fully book too Image
ttf_JPMcAdara

Post by ttf_JPMcAdara »

I just wanted to tell everyone about my mist recent experience flying Delta from LAX to Atlanta.  I decided to use my TANK case and let it go under the plane, but I decided to ask if I could supervise them during the security screening.  At LAX, the woman who did the security screening for TSA was incredibly nice.  She told me that she hates to have to work with golf clubs, but that all of the screeners have a real affinity for instruments and take very good care of them.  All she did was open the case and swab around the edges, but she handled the horn like it was a priceless Stradivarius. It made me feel that at least someone cared about it.  Now, what happened when it went down to luggage, I will never know, but my case and horn came out in great condition.
     In Atlanta, I was late to the airport due to getting caught behind an accident and they said it was too late to check the horn and they could not get me a later flight.  When she asked me what was in the case and found out it was an instrument, she said to try gate checking it.  I RAN with my TANK through security and got to the gate with it.  I asked if I could gate check and they said it would not be a problem at all.  The bonus with that was that I did not have to pay ANY extra baggage fees.
     All in all, it was a very good experience with Delta and my TANK held up perfectly.  This has not always been the case for me, but I was very happy how this trip went.

JP

ttf_Norberg

Post by ttf_Norberg »

Most European flights will let you put your horn on board.

A few general tips - which has been stated several times in this thread:

1) Be polite! Smile. Ask, don't tell. Say please. If you are nice, the odds are that the person you are facing will help you.
2) Emphasize the value of your instrument - in a polite and subdued manner. People get scared when faced with "this instrument is worth 5000$, I can't do anything but bring it onboard myself".
3) Emphasize that your horn will not fair well if bumped and tossed around. As a last resort, remind the airline staff that they will be liable.
4) Emphasize that the last time you flew with (INSERT AIRLINE HERE) there was no problem.

You'll be facing a few hurdles though:

1) Check in counter. In Europe, this is the largest hurdle. As stated numerous times in this thread, hide your horn behind you - not hiding it, but just act like it's a backpack and no big deal. The more inconspicuous you are, the better your chances are of getting your horn on the plane and in the overhead compartment. If you have no bag to check in (rare occasion, you usually need an extra pair of socks etc) then you are golden - just use one of the self-check in counters and go to the next hurdle; security. If you pass the check in counter, people usually assumes that your bag is ok and will let you through without asking. Some of my friends have, when travelling with friends, asked them to look after their gigbag while checking in. Not exactly by the book, but it works. If you are asked about your bag, and you are approved, get a "carry-on approved tag" - but this approach places you under the scrutiny of the check in personnel, not really recommended by me.
2) Security. They check what the heck is in your bag "Please open this, Sir." etc. I have on one memorable occasion been asked to play my horn in a security check in La Guardia - much to the amusement of fellow travellers - but this is rare. Again, be polite, smiling, and explain what it is you are carrying.
3) Boarding. This usually isn't a big deal - when you have passed check in and security, you should breeze through. But, to be safe, book a seat way back so you get on the plane with the first group. If possible, get to the counter when the "special needs" people get to boarding. The "special needs" approach again puts you in the search light, so might not be the smartest solution. Play it by ear.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone ever have a problem having a mouthpiece in your carry-on?

I have a 2 day trip and I'd like to take my mouthpiece to buzz while I'm away from my horn.
ttf_fluor

Post by ttf_fluor »

It will fit in the overhead compartment, yes.

Haven't tried megatone, though
ttf_mellotbone

Post by ttf_mellotbone »

Well I mean that it will show up on the X-Ray machine and will the TSA people know that it's not a weapon

Return to “Instruments”