Fitting a slide to a Yamaha YBL613

modelerdc

Fitting a slide to a Yamaha YBL613

Post by modelerdc »

I have a nice Yamaha YBL 613 bell section complete but no slide. I have an unemployed Getzen single bore bass slide that I'd like to adapt to it. Local repair shop would greatly prefer to change the tenon on the slide to match the bell instead of the other way around. Does anyone know what slide tenon I should buy and where to get it to make this change? Thank you
Burgerbob

Re: Fitting a slide to a Yamaha YBL613

Post by Burgerbob »

That's a Yamaha only part. If you can source one from Yamaha, it may be the way to go. They changed to Bach size with the 613H.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

First of all, go here and create a login to the US Consumer portal: yamaha24x7.com

Then, you can type in a model number and order available parts right off of the schematic drawings.

What I think you're going to find is that the slide tenons on the 6xx series are integrated into the cork barrel, and in some cases, the cross-brace. It's only on the 8xx series where you can buy the tenon piece separately:
6xx.jpg
vs.
8xx.jpg

Now, I suppose that if you bought a compatible 6xx-series tenon/cork barrel/brace assembly that there could be a chance for some creative amputation of the tenon piece but the success of that would depend on what & where it could be cut in order to be properly fit and securely attached to the Getzen slide. Being the owner of a few 6xx series bass trombone slides (613, 621, 613H & 620G), looking at them, I don't see a path for guaranteed success there. There is not a obvious point where the slide tenon is soldered on to the cork barrel where it could be taken apart or cut. I could be wrong, but it also seems like this approach is likely a lot more work than swapping out the slide receiver. Is there another shop where you could get a second opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Changing a handslide receiver on a Yamaha is a pain. The entire receiver, cross brace and bell diamond have to come off. Much easier to change the shank on the slide.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Well then...I guess I was wrong about that :good:

I was looking a little closer at my 620G slide when I was practicing tonight, and got my 613 out for a bit as well. (It had been a while, the valves needed oiled anyway). If the tenon/cork barrel assembly can come apart, it sure doesn't appear as if it'd be much easier. Maybe down inside the cork barrel somehow?
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Thanks for the replies, it's funny how the 613 bell takes the same sized slide tenon as Bach/Edwards/Yamaha later than 613H. But the nut on the bell section won't thread with the slide. I'm guessing it's Conn threads, like earlier Yamaha but with the larger tenon. Because of this I'll try to order part with the slide tenon for a 613 from Yamaha and see if it can be adapted. Thanks for all the replies.
BTW, the bell section had only the G slide for the second valve. but I have a few Yamaha parts and I had a E pull from a Yamaha YBL 321. I know it would be hard to find a D slide for the 613, but that Yamaha uses a lot of the same parts in their various bass trombones. I thought if I'm lucky the crook on the E pull will be the same crook on the G slide, so that the E pull could be used for a D slide. I tried it and it works perfectly!
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

bassclef wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:18 pm Well then...I guess I was wrong about that :good:

I was looking a little closer at my 620G slide when I was practicing tonight, and got my 613 out for a bit as well. (It had been a while, the valves needed oiled anyway). If the tenon/cork barrel assembly can come apart, it sure doesn't appear as if it'd be much easier. Maybe down inside the cork barrel somehow?
The inner slide assembly would need to be modified/rebuilt, and the donor part would need modified as well, but yes, doing the work to the handslide is considerably less "invasive" than a handslide receiver replacement.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”