It happens every time

tbdana

It happens every time

Post by tbdana »

Sure enough. We stop to address an issue, and the leader/conductor says, "Okay, let's start at bar 152," or some such. And then, no matter how much time was given or how many times bar 152 was announced, someone will pipe up in the middle of the count-off, and ask, "Where?"

Every.

Damned.

Time.
Posaunus

Re: It happens every time

Post by Posaunus »

100%
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

The leader speaks too softly.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

AtomicClock wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:51 pm The leader speaks too softly.
Or it's something that could happen to anyone who wasn't paying attention. :D
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I'm sorry. What?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Maybe it’s my hearing going but there’s always someone talking, coughing, sneezing, dropping their bow etc.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

162?
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The gentleman who sits next to me in one band is somewhat hard of hearing. One of my responsibilities is to make sure he knows where we're starting. The conductor is aware of the situation and makes allowances for it.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

JohnL wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:46 pm The gentleman who sits next to me in one band is somewhat hard of hearing. One of my responsibilities is to make sure he knows where we're starting. The conductor is aware of the situation and makes allowances for it.
My 3rd and 4th bones in big band are both deaf. Not only do they constantly say, "Huh? What'd he say?", but they're ALWAYS out of tune. As founding members of a 35 year old community group, they cannot be shown the door, therefore we all suffer.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

You know, this happens to me, and I'm one of the most diligent listeners there is. It happens usually because the percussionists are constantly talking louder than the conductor, and of course they are much closer. And because we're in the back row, often the conductor doesn't even see our raised hands. Or miss us when we miss our entrance, or when she cuts the orchestra off right before we would have come in.

Not that I'm bitter about not being noticed. Oh, yeah, I forgot. I stopped playing with that group for a reason.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

tbdana wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm
That is really, really funny
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I feel this pain.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Lastbone

Post by Lastbone »

And the light is always in someone's eyes. And it's too dark in the back row...
mgladdish

Post by mgladdish »

I've noticed it gets more common the older the musician. I've had the pleasure of playing with some of the best in the business who are now in their eighties. It's stunning they're still here, never mind playing so well at that age, but it takes about 6 attempts to get them to start from a specific bar number.

And don't get me started on the talking, never mind widdling, between stopping and trying something again. Even if the chat's about something else in someone else's part, shut the f' up and listen, it may well affect how you play your part. If nothing else, talking, or even worse playing, over the top of others is astonishingly rude. I don't know any other business where this is tolerated.
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:54 pm You know, this happens to me, and I'm one of the most diligent listeners there is. It happens usually because the percussionists are constantly talking louder than the conductor, and of course they are much closer. And because we're in the back row, often the conductor doesn't even see our raised hands. Or miss us when we miss our entrance, or when she cuts the orchestra off right before we would have come in.

Not that I'm bitter about not being noticed. Oh, yeah, I forgot. I stopped playing with that group for a reason.
... and then the conductor says:

Trombones... you're too loud there!!
blast

Post by blast »

mgladdish wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 am I've noticed it gets more common the older the musician. I've had the pleasure of playing with some of the best in the business who are now in their eighties. It's stunning they're still here, never mind playing so well at that age, but it takes about 6 attempts to get them to start from a specific bar number.

And don't get me started on the talking, never mind widdling, between stopping and trying something again. Even if the chat's about something else in someone else's part, shut the f' up and listen, it may well affect how you play your part. If nothing else, talking, or even worse playing, over the top of others is astonishingly rude. I don't know any other business where this is tolerated.
It's our string section that talks and plays whilst the conductor is speaking. We have to ask where we are going from quite often.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

……..And then thee are the rude gits that can’t leave their cell phones alone during rehearsal 😬😡
blast

Post by blast »

Fidbone wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:07 am ……..And then thee are the rude gits that can’t leave their cell phones alone during rehearsal 😬😡
You don't do a lot of opera Chris😂😂😂
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

blast wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:11 am
Fidbone wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:07 am ……..And then thee are the rude gits that can’t leave their cell phones alone during rehearsal 😬😡
You don't do a lot of opera Chris😂😂😂
Dorset Opera, but I prefer to play the trombone :mrgreen: :clever:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

mgladdish wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 am I've noticed it gets more common the older the musician. I've had the pleasure of playing with some of the best in the business who are now in their eighties. It's stunning they're still here, never mind playing so well at that age, but it takes about 6 attempts to get them to start from a specific bar number.
True, and as an old person myself I can't deny the issues about both hearing, listening, and playing in tune. But it's not confined to old people or to the percussion or back row. Often in the (quite good) band I'm playing in now, it's the front row woodwinds who are chattering. Then there are the younger people (and not so young people) who sit with their phones accessible so they can monitor their email, check on their children, or watch the ongoing Cubs game. But yeah, I finally left one band I'd played on and off with for many years because the intonation, organization, and level of music to which it had sunk became just intolerable. If you get to the point where you can say "I was in a much better musical group in 7th grade," you need to make a change.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Performance”