Edwards trombones buzzing sounds

CrisHagmannBone

Edwards trombones buzzing sounds

Post by CrisHagmannBone »

Hello all! I recently dropped my horn in my case (Marcus Bonna) about 3 feet from a chair. After inspecting my horn I decided to play on it just to make sure the horn was functioning the same. Unfortunately I noticed that it started to have this buzzing/ringing sound when playing D/Db above the staff it even feels a little stuffy now in that partial. When talking about it with some of my peers that also play on Edwards they talked about how they had the same issues when they either accidentally hit their horn, dropped it in their case, or accidentally hit it while it was in the case and they were packing it away. I wanted to know if this was a common issue with Edwards and if there are any solutions, or explanations as to why this happens. I’m not sure if this post is allowed so if not, please feel free to take it down, thank you for taking the time to read this.
harrisonreed

Re: Edwards trombones buzzing sounds

Post by harrisonreed »

Is the Edwards a modular horn (350 style)? If it is, I would completely take the horn apart, grease the threads and slides as appropriate, reassemble it, and see if that fixes it.

Common vibration points are any of the threaded connection points, any of the tuning slide tubes, the threaded slide lock, threaded leadpipe, all joints and valve bearings, and the old tab braces (if your horn had the bracing conversion).

If your horn is not modular (396 style) and/or greasing the tubes and slide lock didn't fix it, it could be that knocking the horn compromised the solder somewhere. That usually takes a friend holding down different brace points to figure out.
Elow

Post by Elow »

That drop must have broken a solder joint.
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Sometimes the brace connecting the f attachment loop to the body can come loose. You will notice an immediate buzzing and/or lack of projection and a dullness to your sound. That has happened twice w my b454.
Mine is an early 90’s build…
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I can confirm, during the tour I'm just finishing up, that the big culprit of buzzing I had to deal with in the middle of a recital was the bell tabs left over after the brace conversion on my Edwards bass. I had to apply a bit of pressure on the F tube during some multi-rests so that the tab wasn't touching it and it stopped immediately.

Return to “Modification & Repair”