Edwards/Bach tuning slide adapter

bassboneman69

Edwards/Bach tuning slide adapter

Post by bassboneman69 »

Hi all,

Curious if, and forgive if this has been postulated already, it is possible to have a bass tuning slide adapter made that would accept both Edwards and Bach main tuning slides.

If this is a ridiculous notion please be kind in your retorts?

Sam
Burgerbob

Re: Edwards/Bach tuning slide adapter

Post by Burgerbob »

Those two slides are (in trombone terms) pretty vastly different at both tubes, much less tapers. I don't think this would really be advisable.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Thanks Burger….
I assumed there would be an obvious reason why this wouldn’t have been done already.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I gave it some consideration many years ago. The results of my experiments were not favorable, and I decided it was just too much compromise to be worthwhile. FWIW.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

So, what parts are you thinking of putting together? You will pretty much have to change a tube somewhere.

For example, with a quick measurement of tubes I have, the Getzen/edwards large tuning slide receiver is ~1.015” a Bach tuning slide receiver is ~.963” Could a sleeve be made? Maybe, but it’s easy enough to swap out that tube and ferrule (on either the bell or the tuning slide). Easier than making a custom tube and lapping it for inner AND outer fit to two slides.

On the small side, I don’t have any edwards bits handy, but you would have to reverse something to make them play together.

The Getzen/Edwards tuning slides are in a world of their own with the tapered inners. Unlike Shires, which uh, seem to work just fine with a reversed Bach bass setup…

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Modification & Repair”