New horn

willythekid

New horn

Post by willythekid »

I am in the market for a new f trigger horn. Any suggestions?
BGuttman

Re: New horn

Post by BGuttman »

You really didn't give us much to go on.

1. Do you currently have a trombone with F-attachment? Are you borrowing one?
2. What level of player are you?
3. Do you have a budget?
4. Are you convinced you must have a new instrument or would you be open to a good used one?

Whatever you can tell us can help us help you.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
rudytbone

Post by rudytbone »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:53 pm You really didn't give us much to go on.

3. Do you have a budget?
4. Are you convinced you must have a new instrument or would you be open to a good used one?

Great questions above - adding - is there anything specific you're trying to do with this horn?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

[chanting] 3BF, 3BF, 3BF [/chanting]

passivist.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OompaLoompia

Post by OompaLoompia »

If you want a smaller F-Attachment Horn:
King 3BF is where it’s at. Really versatile. Can be used for jazz, concert band, brass band, pit orchestra. Only exception would be for an Orchestra.

If you want a medium bore:
Bach 36B/O
Getzen Eterna 725
King 3B+ F (hard to find)

If you want a large bore:
Can’t go wrong with a good Bach 42B/O or Conn 88H. I have a Getzen Eterna 1047 and love it.

Looking at your profile, looks like you’re relatively new to the instrument, in community bands, and taking lessons. Welcome! I’d highly recommend used unless you really have the money and a desire to splurge on something shiny. In which case - Shires, Edwards, or one of those other boutique companies are typically what people go for.
1947 King 2B Silvertone
1949 King 2B Liberty
1978 King 3BF
Getzen Eterna 1047F
1976 Olds O-21 Flugabone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I would even use a 3BF in certain instances in an orchestra. But that's only if I actually had a job in an orchestra.
willythekid

Post by willythekid »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:53 pm You really didn't give us much to go on.

3. Do you have a budget?

Sorry for the delay, I got busy and forgot about this. I am a relatively new player, and just feel that an F attachment would help my playing. I don't have an F attachment horn. I don't think that playing tome is the issue as I have been working on some pieces and need to be able to do runs faster than I can do with double tonging. I would definitely be open to a used one. I would like to find something a bit cheaper than a Shires.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Firstly, a Shires, Edwards, Rath, Thein, etc. horn is for advanced players who need only the best.

Second, I've never been able to play using an F-attachment faster than I can double-tongue. If you need to double tongue faster and/or move your slide faster to keep up with your double-tongue, you need some lessons from a good teacher.

There are some good intermediate F-attachments that would probably do you quite well and won't break the bank (especially if it's the Bank of Mom and Dad). Look in the Classified Ads section here. You will find instruments ranging from $500 to $1000 that are excellent and would be a good step-up from a typical student horn.

In addition to the King 3BF, look at the King 607 or 608; Olds A-15 Ambassador with F or S-15 Superstar; Yamaha 356, 446, or 448; JP-Rath (Chinese made, but QC'd through John Packer in England); Wessex Tubas (Chinese made but QC'd through an English company); Getzen 725 (I think; with F-attachment); Holton 682 or 680;
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
willythekid

Post by willythekid »

Thanks! That was very helpful.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I suppose an F trigger can come in handy for fast runs which pass through C or B natural in 6th/7th, is that what you’re thinking of?

In your position I might look at a Holton 150/158 or Benge 165F/190F alongside the usual options such as Bach 36B, Conn 88h and Bach 42B and various Yamaha medium and large bore horns, perhaps also a King 3B+/F for something a bit brighter. All of these should hold their used value pretty well if you buy sensibly.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

A King 4B-F would also be a good choice in large bore tenors.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

I’ll have a Kanstul copy of a Bach 42T up for sale shortly if you’re interested! Thayer valve, .547 horn.
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
willythekid

Post by willythekid »

MrHCinDE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm I suppose an F trigger can come in handy for fast runs which pass through C or B natural in 6th/7th, is that what you’re thinking of?

In your position I might look at a Holton 150/158 or Benge 165F/190F alongside the usual options such as Bach 36B, Conn 88h and Bach 42B and various Yamaha medium and large bore horns, perhaps also a King 3B+/F for something a bit brighter. All of these should hold their used value pretty well if you buy sensibly.
Yes, it is. Thanks a lot!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Maybe it‘s a question of personal preference but I find it easier to double-tongue for example a Bb major scale using the F trigger than without so I get why you’re looking for a new horn. Even more so for those passages where you pass through C/Bb/B etc. multiple times in both directions.

There is another point of view (see Bruce‘s post) that you could improve your slide work which is never a bad thing in general. I’ve done that to some extent but am still faster with a valve on the trickiest passages.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

One use I found for an F-attachment is if I'm playing a C above the staff (C4) and I need to turn the page I can play the note in 1st with the F-attachment and hold the instrument and slide with the left hand and turn the page with my right.

Above F in the staff (F3) I have found little use for the F-attachment except for the Stupid Human Trick of playing a 1 octave Bb scale from Bb at the top of the staff (Bb3) to one octave up (Bb4) using only the valve in 1st position.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I prefer straight tenors to f attachments and tune the f side to a good b natural in 7th position. The f attachment is required for Bach’s Cello Suites. But i don’t mind faking the low c on a straight horn. I only got an F attachment after I got to university and then it was not required at that moment in time. I wish now I hd kept the 78H. Sometimes a player with a straight horn gets aced out of olaying 3rd or 4th parts because of the conductor’s perceptions. There may only one or two notes that are unplayable on a straight horn, or none. Let’s hear it for Stupid Human Tricks.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Instruments”