Did Conn ever sell a gold plated 5G?

dj4eagle

Did Conn ever sell a gold plated 5G?

Post by dj4eagle »

Many years ago, after cycling through a couple different Griego mouthpieces (4.5 Deco, 5M NY both in Silver) and a Wick 5AL, I ended up purchasing a Gold plated Conn 5G off eBay.

I had played the stock Conn 5G that came with my 88H for years, but at the time, foolishly thought there was something better/nicer/cooler out there. Turns out, I was wrong, I have yet to find a better fit + sound for my embouchure and horn (though I liked the colors I was getting with the Griego pieces more), and the gold plating made all the difference! I feel 0 need to try anything else. I prefer the rim design a lot over Bach mouthpieces.

Did Conn actually produce gold plated non-Lindberg mouthpieces, or was this likely done by a cheap replating service? In case something happens, does Conn even sell mouthpieces directly, or did this come stock with an instrument?
MStarke

Re: Did Conn ever sell a gold plated 5G?

Post by MStarke »

dj4eagle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 pm Did Conn actually produce gold plated non-Lindberg mouthpieces, or was this likely done by a cheap replating service? In case something happens, does Conn even sell mouthpieces directly, or did this come stock with an instrument?
Why would you think it's been a cheap replating service? Any issues with the plating?

Anyway I think the silver-plated Conn 5G is included in basically every modern 88h variation that's sold new globally. So there are lots of them around and certainly some that are not needed. I think I have at least one of them lying around here (but won't sell it...). Could also be that they are sold directly.

In addition I could imagine that they are actually the same mouthpieces that are also sold under different names. Maybe they are simply a Bach 5G? Maybe produced by Lausmann? Pretty unknown name but from my knowledge they produce many many stock mouthpieces.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

dj4eagle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 pm I had played the stock Conn 5G that came with my 88H for years, but at the time, foolishly thought there was something better/nicer/cooler out there.

I prefer the rim design a lot over Bach mouthpieces.

Did Conn actually produce gold plated non-Lindberg mouthpieces, or was this likely done by a cheap replating service? In case something happens, does Conn even sell mouthpieces directly, or did this come stock with an instrument?
I was in the same boat. Got my 88H and did not touch the mouthpiece until I forgot my main one at home. Used the stock mouthpiece and the sound was so much better, the higher range was easier and the low range had great color. I soon said it has got to get better than this but I keep coming back to the Conn 5g.

You are correct the design is a little different from the Bach 5g.

I do not think you can get the piece directly, maybe you could get a replacement under warranty. IDK . Gold plating can be done locally and you can always replate. I need to get myself another Conn 5g before they are harder to find or Conn might change the design. You can buy them cheap off people that just think they are a cheap stock MP.
OldNobody

Post by OldNobody »

A friend had a Conn 88H that was old back in 1986, when we were playing in high school. IIRC, it had an original mouthpiece with a gold-plated rim.

Louis

Return to “Mouthpieces”