Shires 5VNY Bells

arich621

Shires 5VNY Bells

Post by arich621 »

Is anyone familiar enough with the Shires “5” bells to know the difference between the 5VNY and the Chicago bell (besides the CHI being gold brass), or the 5VNY vs. a TII 5YLW? Just curious how you’d describe the VNY bell in terms of weight or any other treatment with their standard markings. Thanks!
JeffBone44

Re: Shires 5VNY Bells

Post by JeffBone44 »

I can't speak for the tenor trombone bells, but I have one on my bass trombone. It's the best Shires bell on that horn that I've had yet. It's snappy enough where I feel comfortable in big band, yet it still holds up well in loud dynamics in orchestra.
StPetersBone

Re: Shires 5VNY Bells

Post by StPetersBone »

I play on a tenor Vintage New York. It's still (in my opinion) the best large bore tenor from Shires, for me. I suspect the "X" tuning slide and bass crook are major factors as well.

Having owned and played a few vintage Bachs, I think they did a great job in replicating what made those bells special. It seems thinner, more responsive and more resonant than their other options. I recently play tested a good portion of their artist and Q series models at NAMM... no buyers remorse in choosing the VNY. In fact, the only other large bore tenor at the show that really stuck out was the Courtois Creation Florida edition (made in partnership with Joël Vaïsse of the Florida Orchestra). Amazing ergonomics and a joy to play across the entire range.

I have not had the opportunity to play test a TII 5YLW, but that is likely a very similar configuration.

Return to “Instruments”