Mute recommendations please

Rededshred

Mute recommendations please

Post by Rededshred »

We've been having brass meet ups with the trumpet players to go over material as a section but using mutes because of the neighbours etc.
My Yamaha silent brass I'm using is to quiet.
I tried a sshhmute it felt great but you couldn't play a G in any position without it backing up, sounding awful and being hit and miss whether you'd make any sound at all, not sure if it was a duff one but I did find it really heavy anyway and massive.
I'm after something that isn't as quiet as the Yamaha, doesn't affect intonation too badly and added bonus if it can fit in the bell in the case.
Was looking at the Wallace compact but I read it wouldn't be great for rehearsing with others as it plays way to sharp or flat, can't remember.
I also heard the best brass mute intonation is way out as well.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
It's to fit a king 2 and 3b
Burgerbob

Re: Mute recommendations please

Post by Burgerbob »

Pampet practice mute, on Amazon
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Why not run the Yamaha into a speaker, and then amplify it to whatever level you like? Take advantage of those electronics.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Anything that fits flush with the bell is going to play sharp and need more tuning slide pull... there's no way around the physics.

I've been meaning to try that Amazon one. Of the more expensive case-fitting options, Mutio is great but requires care finding the moveable foam ring position to give the best partial tuning. Okura is good too. I like the Wallace bass compact; haven't tried the tenor.

But they're all in the same region volumewise as the Yamaha, and I wouldn't want to play any practice mute for long... for a sustained period I'd far rather it was a nice cup (or harmon, though weight would be more of an issue). A section of H&B Mic-A-Mutes would have a certain charm and take the wall-penetrating edge off.

Honestly, it just sounds like you need a better venue. Or if it's one set of adjoining neighbours rather than a whole building, commit to a set period at a reasonable hour and then pay them off with wine.
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

Will check it out thanks.
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:49 pm Pampet practice mute, on Amazon
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

A better venue is ideal but if we can make this work muted just to run arrangements it'll be sweet.
Will look into that okura mute.. looks real similar to the pampet one.
ithinknot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:04 pm Anything that fits flush with the bell is going to play sharp and need more tuning slide pull... there's no way around the physics.

I've been meaning to try that Amazon one. Of the more expensive case-fitting options, Mutio is great but requires care finding the moveable foam ring position to give the best partial tuning. Okura is good too. I like the Wallace bass compact; haven't tried the tenor.

But they're all in the same region volumewise as the Yamaha, and I wouldn't want to play any practice mute for long... for a sustained period I'd far rather it was a nice cup (or harmon, though weight would be more of an issue). A section of H&B Mic-A-Mutes would have a certain charm and take the wall-penetrating edge off.

Honestly, it just sounds like you need a better venue. Or if it's one set of adjoining neighbours rather than a whole building, commit to a set period at a reasonable hour and then pay them off with wine.
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

ithinknot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:04 pm
But they're all in the same region volumewise as the Yamaha, and I wouldn't want to play any practice mute for long... for a sustained period I'd far rather it was a nice cup (or harmon, though weight would be more of an issue).
I'm relatively new to the mute world other than the silent brass. You mentioned a nice cup mute for playing for longer. Want to try as well. Anything you would recommend? Great if it's not heavy either.
Thanks
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Rededshred wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:32 am I'm relatively new to the mute world other than the silent brass. You mentioned a nice cup mute for playing for longer. Want to try as well. Anything you would recommend? Great if it's not heavy either.
Thanks
All the cups are going to be significantly heavier than the little plastic practice mutes. But it's a more musical sound, the blow is nicer and it doesn't feel like it might mess up your face.

Did some hardcore science with all the cups I have. 3BSS, highly paid assistant on the other side of a closed wooden door commenting on perceived volume/brightness/"cut"/annoyance factor. The adjustable cups were moved to match the distance you get from the Humes and Bergs.

very old H&B standard cup - 149g
newer H&B Mic-A-Mute - 233g
Soulo adjustable cup - 179g, but mine has had the cup cut down slightly so probably more like 195g new
Denis Wick adjustable cup - 214g
Wallace TWC-411-S (their new small bore specific adjustable cup) - 323g

From the other side of the door, apparently they're all basically the same volume, but the Soulo was the most obviously bright/piercing, and the Wick the "deadest"/least obtrusive. The Wallace might be marginally louder, but it's a much warmer/softer sound, so not more disturbing. Of course, all the adjustables could be tightened down further to be even quieter.

(From me: the Wallace has a gorgeous sound and plays much better than any of the others. But it's too heavy for sustained practice use. Of course, in normal contexts you're not leaving it in all that long so it's no problem.)

Bear in mind that the 2B and 3B have quite different bell throats (3B is tighter) so mutes won't fit to the same depth. For max quiet, you want to set the cup pretty tight to the flare, so the adjustable models are a definite advantage.

I'm assuming you're in the UK, in which case I'd just get a used Wick for ~£25 on FB/eBay and play around with that for a while. If you hate it or it's too heavy, you'll be able to shift it quickly. If you end up liking the general concept, then the new Butler carbon fibre cup mute might be worth a look. Much lighter, much more expensive.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Rejano practice mute
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

Nice one, great info there and much appreciated.. I've found a 2nd hand wick adjustable cup mute, will try it out.
ithinknot wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:39 am
Rededshred wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:32 am I'm relatively new to the mute world other than the silent brass. You mentioned a nice cup mute for playing for longer. Want to try as well. Anything you would recommend? Great if it's not heavy either.
Thanks
All the cups are going to be significantly heavier than the little plastic practice mutes. But it's a more musical sound, the blow is nicer and it doesn't feel like it might mess up your face.

Did some hardcore science with all the cups I have. 3BSS, highly paid assistant on the other side of a closed wooden door commenting on perceived volume/brightness/"cut"/annoyance factor. The adjustable cups were moved to match the distance you get from the Humes and Bergs.

very old H&B standard cup - 149g
newer H&B Mic-A-Mute - 233g
Soulo adjustable cup - 179g, but mine has had the cup cut down slightly so probably more like 195g new
Denis Wick adjustable cup - 214g
Wallace TWC-411-S (their new small bore specific adjustable cup) - 323g

From the other side of the door, apparently they're all basically the same volume, but the Soulo was the most obviously bright/piercing, and the Wick the "deadest"/least obtrusive. The Wallace might be marginally louder, but it's a much warmer/softer sound, so not more disturbing. Of course, all the adjustables could be tightened down further to be even quieter.

(From me: the Wallace has a gorgeous sound and plays much better than any of the others. But it's too heavy for sustained practice use. Of course, in normal contexts you're not leaving it in all that long so it's no problem.)

Bear in mind that the 2B and 3B have quite different bell throats (3B is tighter) so mutes won't fit to the same depth. For max quiet, you want to set the cup pretty tight to the flare, so the adjustable models are a definite advantage.

I'm assuming you're in the UK, in which case I'd just get a used Wick for ~£25 on FB/eBay and play around with that for a while. If you hate it or it's too heavy, you'll be able to shift it quickly. If you end up liking the general concept, then the new Butler carbon fibre cup mute might be worth a look. Much lighter, much more expensive.
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

Dennis wick adjustable cup mute is great, worked great for little front room brass meet up.. trumpet players used straight mutes/ Harmon mutes, I used the Dennis wick cup mute and the alto sax just played quiet . Sounded pretty good, not to many tuning issues. i had to adjust my tuning slide a bit but pretty successful and no complaints from the neighbours or barks from their annoying barky dogs. 👍👍

Return to “Accessories”