If anyone's near Metamora Illinois and wants to deal with an auction...

ryebrye

If anyone's near Metamora Illinois and wants to deal with an auction...

Post by ryebrye »

Looks like a Conn 88h is up for auction with no shipping allowed on it, so the potential buyer pool isn't very big. The number of people who recognize it might also be pretty low.

https://hibid.com/lot/183247302/conn-trombone-and-case

I've got no association with the auction house or seller, haven't seen it in person, but thought someone on here might be interested.

No pictures of the slide stockings, no pictures of the bell engraving... Obviously buyer beware...
AtomicClock

Re: If anyone's near Metamora Illinois and wants to deal with an auction...

Post by AtomicClock »

I think this item from the same site will be very popular here:

Lot Of Slatwall Trombone Holders
https://hibid.com/lot/182440221/lot-of- ... f=lot-list
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

Yeah, that site is weird. It's kind an aggregator of different auction houses in the country - each with their own policies and stuff.

They also have a bunch of bell covers you can bid on if you want to be ready for the next pandemic 🤣
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I think that's a 72H.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

Oh good catch - I didn't look as closely at the wrap as I should have... and I've not seen a lot of 72H's before
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Definitely a 72H - look at the main tuning slide (not over/under like an 88H). Also it's yellow brass, and the bell looks too big to be 8.5 inches in relation to the rest of the horn. Looks to be in good shape though.

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I initially thought 88H, but as noted the wrap and tuning slide are different. But one of the mouthpieces in the case looks like a Remington, which I think was only shipped with the 88H, and is not a bass trombone piece. It's not a Connstellation 3B. Must be the seldom-seen Conn 4 bass trombone mouthpiece.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Picked this up today, will probably post impressions once I've had some time on it. It was in decent condition, aside from a few dings that didn't really show in the photos. Might take it in for some dent work if they bother me.
Posaunus wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:52 pmBut one of the mouthpieces in the case looks like a Remington, which I think was only shipped with the 88H, and is not a bass trombone piece. It's not a Connstellation 3B. Must be the seldom-seen Conn 4 bass trombone mouthpiece.
It's a Remington, which I'll have to try to pass along to some vintage 88H fan; it's useless to me. The other was a Bach Corporation 2G in Morse shank.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Remington 5CL (Conn 88H style) - not appropriate for a 72H bass trombone. Very small throat (6.15mm / 0.242"), small cup.
Constellation 3B would be a great match if the 72H has a Remington taper receiver!
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

It's in the shop now. On closer examination the valve was in too sorry a state to even give it a test run. Getting the dents smoothed out since I already had to make the trip to drop it off.

Return to “Instruments”