Greg Black sound?

Bach5G

Greg Black sound?

Post by Bach5G »

Someone recently said their mpc had a typical Greg Black sound.

What would that be?
Burgerbob

Re: Greg Black sound?

Post by Burgerbob »

Lots of low and middle overtones, perhaps a bit less of the high side. Dense, a certain quality to the articulation as well.

I would assume Greg said that, since nothing else sounds like those pieces.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:10 am Lots of low and middle overtones, perhaps a bit less of the high side. Dense, a certain quality to the articulation as well.

I would assume Greg said that, since nothing else sounds like those pieces.
Not in my opinion. With all due respect. His 1 and 1/2G sounds bright to me in every instrument I've played. Articulations are clear but I find nothing dense about the sound either-low overtones are lacking.. Sorry-I really like Greg and respect all he has done. I do, however, have a GB 1 and 1/2G with a Conn shank that I cannot wait to try in my Conn 62H project once it's complete!!!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Could have just been your particular example... I think they are still handmade. One of the most complete bass trombones I've ever heard was on a GB 1 1/2G.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Don't think so. I've owned several throughout the years. Compared to my MV 1 and 1/2G it's not even close. However I know someone who plays on one who sounds amazing. It's a personal choice as is everything else.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Never having played a Greg Black Mouthpiece , I was just a observer here.
Today I played a few of Greg`s pieces at the FMEA Conference in Tampa
I ended up buying a 1 3/8 G, Medium weight. I can`t stop playing my Bass.
I have a few Bass Mouthpieces but nothing that is even top to bottom on the horn and the sound
is rich and beautiful.
The other one I tried was the NY Legend JJ Johnson Giardinelli/Black
NEVER have I played a small shank mouthpiece that had a sound that was that lush and thick.
I`m not sure how it would cut in a Big Band but for solo playing, quartet/quintet - it would be beautiful.
I`m sold.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Good question! I definitely think GB mouthpieces have a particular sound to them. It's hard to describe, adjectives that come to mind are:

Solid
Reliable (articulations)
Dense
Lush

Hope that helps.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I don't think it's unreasonable to say there is a "Greg Black" sound. I have a bass piece that I like though I seldom use it because the number of classical bass trombone gigs I've ever gotten is probably in the double digits. Maybe malleable is a good word? Not all of the pieces have the same feel though and so you end up in the same problem that you get when you're comparing "Shires to Edwards" to reference that thread that's currently ongoing. There are so many combinations that... well... hard to attribute anything to all of them.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

I recently switched to GB mouthpieces a few months ago and they definitely have a sound. I like SwissTBone’s adjectives, very similar to how I feel about them.

Before that, I cycled through several modern CNC mouthpieces that are more efficient than the hand made Greg Black. For certain purposes and in certain trombones with vintage quirks the CNC stuff can really help. But the GB pieces (I have 2) just produce a more robust and “mature” sound to my ears. It’s a trade off, but I’m closer to the concept I’m after.

I am in my Yamaha/Greg Black era and it’s a really wonderful sound, I think the mouthpiece gives a certain life and color to the clear Yamaha fundamental, a nice combo.

My only complaint is that there is a certain “latency” in articulation with the GB pieces that I don’t get with a piece like Patrick or AR Resonance.

Hoping to visit GB later this month to see if I can find the best of both worlds, wish me luck! lol
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I just got another one for bass, after not playing any for a couple years. Yup... instantly recognizable.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

If you think there’s too many mids and lows, you can get the light weight versions. Or send it to Ken Titmus and him him shave some weight off. Easy fixes.

Fridge

Return to “Mouthpieces”