Hello from Phoenix AZ

Spin your yarns here.
slideandtraps

Hello from Phoenix AZ

Post by slideandtraps »

Hello,

First post. Played clarinet as a kid in the 70's. New Year's is reminding me to reverse to age 39.
As Jack Benny said, "There's nothing funny about 40." I wished I'd thought of this earlier to head to 29.

Complementing other instruments in life, a nice serviced Conn 18H Director is on the way as a first horn.

Fink, Kleinhammer and Wick have been good company as nightly reads.

Trombone Craft and Reinhardt books to follow. I'm a reader. Thank you forum.

Looking forward to meeting folks here.

Dennis
slideandtraps

Re: Hello from Phoenix AZ

Post by slideandtraps »

Second post. Following clarinet, play piano, semester of harpsichord, sang bass in a barbershop chorus, tenor uke, guitar and brush drums. Work professionally in the visual arts. CalArts grad long ago.

Listening to Jack Jenney and Tommy Dorsey, Urbie Green and Welk players Barney Liddell and Bob Havens and today's Eijirō Nakagawa, Rita Payees and found Paulina Tarasenko with nice tone.

Enjoy ballads and 20s fox-trots through 40s big band sweet solos and Baroque music that invigorated improvisation, a.k.a ancient basso continuo shredding and classical music.

Looking at mouthpieces. Have a 12C for buzzing and considering a Purviance 4*3, but reading to ask a resident expert here. Appreciate suggestions. Down the road, multitrack at home, Martin TR4501 or King 2B.

I've enjoyed reading posts this last year. Thank you for the collective wisdom that guided a selection.

Dennis
Last edited by slideandtraps on Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotSoTrickyNotSam

Post by NotSoTrickyNotSam »

Hi Dennis, just saw your answer on my "hello from..." thread. CalArts in the 80s, what a concept! But no need to clutter the board getting into that, I'll PM when able.

It sounds like, as of a week ago, you didn't yet have a trombone, is that right? If so, and if you still don't have the instrument, here's a word of caution about buzzing on the mouthpiece—my apologies if you know all this already. Buzzing the mouthpiece is a very different act and experience than playing the horn! When you buzz a note on the mouthpiece, you're forcing that note to sound. Playing the horn, it's much more like you're just allowing the note to sound, which is a much gentler proposition. I imagine that a little buzzing is fine because it gives you the general idea of how to hold your lips and blow so the instrument makes a sound. But once you have the instrument and make a sound, I'm not sure how helpful/appropriate mouthpiece buzzing is.

That's a good question for the forum, because there's nothing at all controversial about mouthpiece buzzing (SARCASM).

* Robert Zimmerman
* Durham NC
slideandtraps

Post by slideandtraps »

Hi Robert!

Yes it is here as of Saturday. I'd heard and read some opinions on to buzz or not to buzz. Thank you for the reminder and look forward to PM.

Originally bought a 12C with first books to understand what they referred to.

Learning handling and primarily, Dennis, keep your pinky under the slide and lock it when standing to empty the spit valve.

It was chem-cleaned per Ebay, but disassembled and gave it a thorough wash, very light polish with Mother's Mag and aircraft wax and lube. Remembering Art Blakey is quoted that he polished his kit like he was taking care of himself. Fortunately my self routine does not yet require brass polish and aircraft wax.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tangents”