RIP, Dr. Irv Wagner

Discuss the people that make the music here.
afugate

RIP, Dr. Irv Wagner

Post by afugate »

I am saddened to report that my friend, Dr. Irv Wagner, has passed on. Doctor Wagner was trombone professor at the University of Oklahoma for over 50 years.

I've never met a person more passionate about the trombone and encouraging of those of us who play. Doc. was a remarkable man, both on the stage and off.

I would not claim to know the thoughts of the Almighty, but it would not surprise me to know that Irv is now providing a command performance on the spoons and trombone just inside heaven's gates.

Requiescat In Pace, my friend.

--Andy in OKC
bwgunia

Re: RIP, Dr. Irv Wagner

Post by bwgunia »

For several years I wrote profiles for the ITA Journal on their various award winners. Irv was one of these and he was an absolute joy to talk to. For one thing, from the beginning he talked to me like he'd known me forever and had the greatest stories. Of all the trombonists I profiled, Irv might have been my favorite.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Dr. Irv Wagner's memorial service / performance will be held at the Nancy O'Brien Performing Arts Center in Norman, Oklahoma, at 2:30pm on March 24. All are invited to attend.

Per the family,
Former students and fellow trombone players, we have asked the OU Trombone Bone Choir to play under the direction of Dr. Nathaniel Brickens and we would like to invite others as well. Please email [email protected] if you are interested in playing.

--Andy in OKC
timbone

Post by timbone »

What a wonderful man! Influenced everyone he touched! I knew him quite well and we did a cd project together. The trombone community, the Univ. Of Oklahoma, and academia lost a great man!

Return to “Musicians”