Greg Black New York... yes!

Garoissimo

Greg Black New York... yes!

Post by Garoissimo »

Greg Black New York model:

Well, I know that Greg has told people at times that these are identical to the old Greg Black-Alessi designs, simply re-branded. I also know that a lot of people seem to disagree with this, and find these New York's to play very differently from the the legendary Black-Alessi design. Some even claim that he has, at times, admitted they are not identical, and some people have done their own measurements showing they are different.

Be this as it may, I needed a small shank piece for a new .500 bore horn, and I wanted to try the New York 7M because it is the classic GS cup (Like the old Alessi's), in a slightly larger rim dia, and with a larger backbore and throat than the classic Bach 5GS, and a similarly rounded and fat rim like the old Alessi's.

Well, I love it! It must be close enough to the 1st Black Alessi design that for me there seems almost no difference. It is like an upgrade from the Bach 5GS that I have always loved for small bore work. For me it is like having a slightly smaller, small shank version of my 5M.

For me the New York is a total winner, and WAY more like what I find great about the original Black-Alessi design.

Also, what a nice shopping experience too:

I ordered this piece on a Sunday, submitted with a request to change the stamping to the standard old style Black stamping. I received an email early Monday (within 24 hours) regarding my order, indicating that the model was in-stock for immediate shipping, and custom stamping would require a custom production and stamping fee adding 3-days and extra cost. I replied that I would stay with the regular in-stock stamped model and the piece was shipped within an hour! It arrived to me in California exactly 48 hours later!

What a great shopping experience, and for me a really phenomenal mouthpiece!

Return to “Mouthpieces”