New Member Introductions

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
dpsychs

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by dpsychs »

Hi all,

I'm an old bone player, on-again off-again since around 1975. Played in HS, did not play in college, picked back up again in graduate school to play with a "community" group made up of lots of alumni from local-ish college bands around the San Francisco Bay Area. The group is called California Repercussions. That group has been a blast, but I've been on a break from it for a couple of years, and am just now working to pick up where I left off. I'm going to retire within the next year or so, so I'm expecting to have more time/energy for practicing and potentially joining some other local groups.

I'm in the Sacramento area, so if there are any other bone folks floating around here and you want to get into some duets or something, reach out!
MJFreets

Post by MJFreets »

Hi everyone,

I'm Mike in Edinburgh, Scotland. I play bass trombone in a few local groups, mostly orchestras and big bands. I've lurked on this forum for years and learned a huge amount here, so I thought it might be nice to get a bit more involved.
rockyband

Post by rockyband »

G'day folks. Kevin from Rockhampton (Aust) here. I used to frequent The Trombone Forum back in the day and only recently found this site. I learnt tbn back in high school in mid-70s and have played in community bands ever since - nearly 40 years now. I now play either tenor or bass, depending on who's missing from rehearsal, including covering for the Eb bass player.

Even though I'm well into retirement, I still enjoy learning.
jeanmix

Post by jeanmix »

Bonjour à tous, je ne sais pas bien si c'est là qu'il faut poster une présentation...je suis apprenti tromboniste depuis 4 ans environ et je joue dans la formation Tarace Boulba à montreuil (France).
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

jeanmix wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:37 am Bonjour à tous, je ne sais pas bien si c'est là qu'il faut poster une présentation...je suis apprenti tromboniste depuis 4 ans environ et je joue dans la formation Tarace Boulba à montreuil (France).
Bonjour et bienvenue!

Nous prefere communiquer en anglais. Peut etre utiliser Google Translate a traduir votre presentation a anglais.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Horndon

Post by Horndon »

Hello,

I originally played trombone in junior high/high school from 1958 to about 1963. When arthritis in my fingers caused a drastic tapering off of my guitar playing, I picked up trombone again about a year ago. I joined a local Colorado community band last September, and enjoy playing more now than in my beginning years. I hope to get to the point where I can play New Orleans/Trad jazz one of these days.

Through band and this site, I'm finding there is a lot more to learn than I was aware of in H.S. pep band, and expect to enroll in private lessons before too long.

Don H.
Colorado Springs
Indi830

Post by Indi830 »

Hi from Northern NSW Australia. I used to be a member on the old TTF but don't remember what my user name was.
I've been hanging around here for a while as a guest but decided I should join again. I generally prefer to look and listen so probably won't post very often - I need one of those "introverted (aspie) but willing to discuss trombone" shirts :lol:

I'm strictly an amateur player who plays for enjoyment. I started playing in 1981 when the trombone chose me at age 11 - band conductor gave it to me because my arm was long enough. first time I showed it to my dad and blew a note he said it sounded like a foghorn :o :lol: Have had periods where I didn't play for a few years, and have often been in bands where I was the only trombone.
My partner also plays which is great I - he started on trumpet as a kid, but has now seen the light and come over to the dark side :biggrin:
I play 1st in a local community concert band, and my partner plays second.
I play bass trom in our local community orchestra and my partner plays second.
I help out sometimes with another little local concert band on tuba but don't always go to rehearsals - there are some ... difficult .... personalities there :roll:
I've been playing bass trombone in our local community orchestra for about 7-8 years now - absolutely love it. wish I had been introduced to the bass trombone earlier (I got the chair because our sometimes bass trombone moved away and I had a large bore trigger - a beautiful mid 1970's silver 42B I purchased off DJ through the old trombone forum - in the days when international shipping to down under was still a reasonable price) My partner plays the 42 now and loves it as much as I do. I decided I wanted a double trigger bass - love the low notes and I find going low easy which my partner hates as he'd love to be able to play low but is pretty dismal at it :) So I bought a Xeno 830 which I absolutely love. its light (for a bass), easy to play, sounds great.
BEngland

Post by BEngland »

Hello Everyone,

I was a member here before but it has been so long I forgot all of my account information. I am primarily a bass trombone player, but I often double on tenor trombone and euphonium. I am currently a Middle School music teacher in Southern California and enjoy playing every time I can. I am mostly playing on a Shires bass. I look forward to being vetted so I can buy more mouthpieces (that I might not need!)

Brennan
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Welcome back to the trombone community Brennan.

If you're within driving distance from Santa Ana, you should consider joining a bunch of us (typically 30 or more) at Bones West - every Saturday morning from ~9:00am to 11:30am at Musician's Association (AFM) Local 7. Lots of great charts for bass trombone (as well as tenor) - legit and jazz.
Last edited by Posaunus on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bastian709

Post by bastian709 »

Hello all trombone enthusiast. I finally pulled the trigger on registering because i want to ask for advice about a weird old duo gravis bass trombone with one trigger i found in my bands instrument storage. Before that, a bit about my self.

Im 24 years old from Denmark (so excuse my poor writing) who loves playing music in my spare time.
I mostly play the bass trombone, and tenor trombone nowadays, but i started on euphonium. I play in various different bands and orchestras. I play bass trombone in a old time jazz bigband, a small fusion jazz ensemble, and in my marching bands marches through the cities and also our tattoo show. I play my "big" tenor trombone in a New Orleans inspired street parade band, and in a small band where we play for special occasions. I've played piano since i was 9, and started learning percussion at age 15 when i started in marching band before switching to brass.
Right now i also play mallet percussion in my marching bands concert band, because we have a lot of low brass players and no percussion player who could read sheet music.

I've always "lurked" on these forums and different facebook groups, but never actually contributed much. Denmark is quite small and doesn't have a that many brass repair shops, that does custom work, and none of them sells top-end instruments. There's not much online presence in the Danish brass community, so I'm looking forward to learn from the experiences of people from all over. Especially overseas, where marching band culture is just amazing. My marching band has participated in the Calgary Stampede a number of times, and I've had the pleasure of going twice already. Experiencing Canada, and the stampede, has been some of the best experiences of my life.
bastian709

Post by bastian709 »

Apparently i cant add my instrument collection to my profile yet, but these are the instruments i currently use :wink:

Antoine Courtois Prestige Orchestra 500 R
Bach Stradivarius 42BOF Centennial
Bach 16 with custommade slide from B.A.C
Hertz (Danish brand) Flugabone
Besson sovereign euphonium
legendary27

Post by legendary27 »

Hi. New member just joined. Bass trombone player of some forty years now (how did that happen ?!). I was a long-time member of the old OTJ forum, but had stopped playing a while back due to embouchure issues, so did not register here. Doing a bit of playing again, so I thought it as good a time as any to get back online to see how the world of trombone playing has advanced in my absence.
KingThings

Post by KingThings »

Hello...I am a new member to the forum today and hope to be vetted!

Plus my trombones are being cleaning and adjusted this week.....so I am a happy camper.
aWest

Post by aWest »

April West here. This is my first post, ever, to any chat. Here goes. I am freelancing in San Diego, mostly older jazz and R & B. I have a gig coming up at a great local festival, Gator By The Bay. I have to arrange a set of songs for 4 trombones. Gonna be awesome!

I just registered here hoping to find someone who can tell me where to buy the Slide Hampton arrangement of "Lester Leaps In" (from World of Trombones album). Help?

Now that I'm registered, I'm sure I'll visit more. Thanks!
iranzi

Post by iranzi »

Finally found a dedicated introductions thread! Originally I added a short intro to my first post in an unrelated thread about a month and a half ago.
Just want to say hello to all of you here. I've been playing soprano saxophone for nearly 30 years, all of my "adult" life. During COVID lockdown I picked up trumpet and been studying it since that time. And very recently I've switched to trombone - about 3 months ago. I was reading that great Gunther Schuller book The Swing Era. Really enjoying the section on great soloists from that period (1930-45). There is a chapter on Jack Teagarden and Jimmy Harrison, new names for me at the time. The author's excitement about their playing styles got me really curious. That chapter also mentioned J.C.Higginbotham, Dickie Wells, Jaroslav Cimera, Jack Jenney, Sandy Williams, Miff Mole, etc, etc. Since then I've been exploring the trombone universe daily and nightly. And being continuously astounded by the breadth of trombone music, the variety of trombone styles and sounds from different periods and parts of the globe. Jamaican, Afro-Cuban, Mexican, Turkish and Balkan Roma sounds and rhythms. And of course jazz trombone - a whole universe right there.
I'm learning trombone now and hopefully will become a proper trombonist. TromboneChat forum has been such great help and joy! I'm really looking forward to conversing with all the great and knowledgeable trombone players, students and teachers here.

Denis
drbone

Post by drbone »

Hey y'all. My name is Devin Roark. I'm primarily a bass trombonist but I've been playing more tenor and tuba lately as well. Graduate of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and Stetson University. Studied with Pete Norton among many other great musicians. Originally from Pensacola, Florida, I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio where I freelance as a trombonist as well as a baritone vocalist. I'm the bass trombonist of the Firelands Symphony Orchestra in Sandusky. I have a day job in tech. Thanks for letting me join!

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”