New Forum Members!

ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Stephen Hoffman »

Quote from: "greg1216"I guess you could say that I'm kinda new-ish, well, sorta, but I've never introduced myself.  My name Is Greg Simpson (not related to Bart, Homer, etc.) and I live in Conway, AR (no, I am not a redneck).  I am 14 years old and in the 8th grade.  I play euphonium in concert band and am 1st chair (out of 5, big deal!)  and I play trombone in jazz band and at various churches when needed.
Wow, funny, I'm from Missouri and I am not a redneck (it annoys me when people call me a redneck just because I am from the Mid-West Image .)  I also will be entering the 8th grade.
ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Quote from: "SilverPenguin"New member here... my name's John, I'm from Youngstown State University where I'm a junior, in a little bit over a week I'll turn 21, and I'm a music performance major on, of all things, the trombone.

Happy 21st, Silver!!!! Image  Image  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey Guys!!! I'm Sandra a 19/f Tenor Trombone player. I'm currently going to the University of Central Oklahoma and my applied teacher is Dr. Kent Kidwell (Doc). He is awesome and has helped me evolved in to a great trombone player. I'm in the jazz band, symphonic band, trombone choir, and orchestra (whenever they have trombone parts). I enjoy playing my King 607 f-attachment but it is kind of a wimpy horn but love it anyways, it will work until i get a Conn 88H but that won't be for awhile. Well I'm glad to be getting on this forum.  Can't wait to get into it. Talk to you guys soon!! TROMBONE CHICKS RULE! Image
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "skennedbonechick"Hey Guys!!! I'm Sandra a 19/f Tenor Trombone player. I'm currently going to the University of Central Oklahoma and my applied teacher is Dr. Kent Kidwell (Doc). He is awesome and has helped me evolved in to a great trombone player. I'm in the jazz band, symphonic band, trombone choir, and orchestra (whenever they have trombone parts). I enjoy playing my King 607 f-attachment but it is kind of a wimpy horn but love it anyways, it will work until i get a Conn 88H but that won't be for awhile. Well I'm glad to be getting on this forum.  Can't wait to get into it. Talk to you guys soon!! TROMBONE CHICKS RULE! Image
Haha, funny my teacher Dr. David Collings goes by Doc as well, funny. Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

hi mama im a boner from uk i was in the grenadier guards for 25 years and now teaching.i collect trombone and any brass virtuoso type cds now moving on to dvd's lol.at the moment im addicted to ebay and going for a bone 2nite
when i get back from a rehearsal in chelsea london.im brass mad as you can see ,i even bought a mendez cornet because im a huge fan lol ,hey mama i live in chatham on a LUTON RD lol how you doin mama nice pic Image
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "elkartian"hi mama im a boner from uk i was in the grenadier guards for 25 years and now teaching.i collect trombone and any brass virtuoso type cds now moving on to dvd's lol.at the moment im addicted to ebay and going for a bone 2nite
when i get back from a rehearsal in chelsea london.im brass mad as you can see ,i even bought a mendez cornet because im a huge fan lol ,hey mama i live in chatham on a LUTON RD lol how you doin mama nice pic Image
Hmmmmm, I believe that someone may be lying about their age with that pic, looks possibly like an older picture from years ago... hmmmmm... or possibly not... but maybe.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been around the OTJ Forum for awhile, but lost my job last summer and now at my new company started up a new OTJ profile. I usually only log on from work because I'm too busy at home to use a computer.

I'm 45 years old. been playing since I was 10. I picked the trombone back in '68 in 5th grade. I chose 'bone because it was the one we always imitated when playing by moving our hand back and forth. I didn't really know what a trombone was.

I went to a small high school in central Wisconsin, my teacher never told me there was such a thing as "all state", so I never auditioned. I did send a tape to a N. Wisconsin honors band once and got in. Also sent a tape for McDonalds all-american marching band, but never heard back.

I played in college too, studying it pretty seriously, but for fun. I wasn't a music major. I majored in Football. All thru college i played in just about everything from brass quintets to symphonic band to jazz band to orchestra. Even made money gigging around town at various churches and venues.

When I got to college my teacher took one look at my Olds peashooter and told me to get a better horn. A kid was selling some old yamaha with an f trigger. It was a 2 tone job with a little larger bore. It took me 7 payments of $50 back in '76, but i paid it off.  That was 28 years ago and I still play the same Yamaha, and I don't even know what model it is.

I play in a church worship band every other weekend with other horns along with the guitars, bass drums and keyboard. The horn charts used to be pretty lame, but they're getting better now. I like playing hard rythyms in the upper range.

Now i have teenagers too that are guitarists and play in various rock bands. I keep asking them if I can play in their rock band but they usually ignore me.

My dreams are to go back and study trombone seriously some day after i get my kids thru college, play in the Minneapolis Trombone Choir, and maybe play professional gigs some day part-time. I'd like to regularly play in a Christian rock band similar to BS&T, a traditional brass quintet, a blues/rock big band and a small jazz ensemble. Until then i won't have any time because I have a telecom engineering career, reff basketball on weekends to pay for my kids activities and music lessons, coach weightlifting and build things like Guitars and Electric Upright Basses and kayaks for my kids.

Mark Carey
Minneapolis, MN
ttf_SinginJohnny

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_SinginJohnny »

My name is John Maresca. I will be 54 in June and I live in New Jersey. I am a relatively new member and I don't play trombone but I sing music from the early to mid 20th century. I sing mostly jazz, rhythm and blues, and music from the big band era. I also love singing harmony and am a big fan of the Four Freshmen. I also love classic rock & roll such as doo-wop harmony singing. Being of my generation, I also sing a lot of 1960s music. I also play rhythm guitar. I have a particular interest in the trombone though I don't know if I would ever get around ot actually playing one. I grew up listening to the sound of the instrument and being enchanted by it. The wide variance of sounds that can be derived from it are simply astounding. I often find myself singing in the same manner as a trombone with the associated slurs and also conciously imitate the warm, rich sound of the instrument. My vocalizing tends to stay in that vein and the smoother the better. I particularly model my vocals on early Frank Sinatra records such as "I'll Never Smile Again" but use my own voice and depart from trying to sound exactly like he did. He is inimitable anyway. Nat King Cole is another one of my major influences as he also has a warm, beautiful sound. I use the present tense when talking of these artists because, for me, they are always here and never diminish. Their music, along with countless other wonderful artists will always be here for us.

One of my favorite trombonists is Tommy Dorsey. Once again, that warm singing sound that he had is the root of my love for the trombone. I also love the sound of Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton with his amazing use of multiphonics using the pixie and plunger mutes. I also think that the fact that more and more women are making themselves known with this instrument is just beautiful. I never believed that certain genders should play certain instruments. That is such a ridiculous concept. Artists such as Annie Whitehead, our host Christine Woodcock, Sarah Morrow, Jennifer Krupa, Gail Brand, Karin and Mimmi Hammar, and many others are bringing a whole new and wonderful dimension to the instrument. I am happy to see and hear them and look forward to their even greater prominence.

Well, that about sums it up for me. I would welcome the opportunity to sing with a big band some time or even sing a duet, etc. with a trombonist. After all, we would both be singing as the trombone is so much similar to the human voice. Keep on playn', people!!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi people! Image

I am VERY new. In fact, this is my first post.
My name is Hannah, and I live in texas and go to school w/ bassbonechick1.
I play tenor trombone. woo hoo...
I am a very nice person, and I make a good friend.

thats about all you need to know about me...
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

great, another girl...I mean HI! we love to see new faces, as long as they arn't female...I mean....uh.....oh yes, we have a girl named hannah in our section, are you loud? self concious? or a air head? if so you might be twins. anyways, welcome.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Suppose this means me, too. I'm Joe O'Carroll, a student and trombone player from San Diego. I enjoy video games, movies, fine liquers, and long walks on the beach. I love San Diego because it's a pretty huge military city and the Marine/Navy bands are great to watch at almost every large gathering. I play ska and jazz for fun, but study classical styles mainly, and pretty much just toil away in obscurity. I'm your average Joe, when it's all said and done, pun intended.
ttf_JoeDanger

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_JoeDanger »

A bit off topic...but reading this reminds me that I think I'm the only guy who has no clue what bone I'm playing on. I know that:
1)It's very very old, but oh so sweet.
2.) The etching on this instrument MIGHT say 'LaSette 194X (something or other)'
3.) Yard sales are great. Lady thought it was a tuba. 75 bucks. HAH!
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "homestar_runner"I don't suffer from insanity...
I enjoy every moment of it! Image
Haha, I love that quote, one of the funniest things ever said (origionally about E. A. Poe right?)
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

hi im Ron. i'm 2nd trombonist in both BHS Jazz and concert band.  im 16 years old.   ive been playing since fifth grade (about 7 years).   however, i didnt even begin to get decent until i got in high school.  middle school taoguth me absolutely nothing.  now i feel that im not too bad. i play a yamaha tenor and i have recently taken up the tuba.  i also play in a ska band (http://www.purevolume.com/theangrytoasters ).  

i think that covers it.
ttf_Lou

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Lou »

I am Michael Beck yes Steve Becks son fo thoes who know him. I am 15 i go to DeWitt High School. My two horns are a conn 88H-O (o/w but its the same thing) that is my symphonic horn that im using for jazz at the moment cuz i like it more than my marching horn. my marching/ pep band horn and it should be my jazz horn but isnt is a Reynolds Contempora w/ a F attachment. thats about it.
-Michael
ttf_BBC1

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BBC1 »

Quote from: "homestar_runner"Hi people! Image

I am VERY new. In fact, this is my first post.
My name is Hannah, and I live in texas and go to school w/ bassbonechick1.
I play tenor trombone. woo hoo...
I am a very nice person, and I make a good friend.

thats about all you need to know about me...

Hi Hannah,

I feel sorry for you for having to go to school with bassbonechick1.  Someone should do something about her......Still looking for someone though.....Image
ttf_homestar_runner

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_homestar_runner »

Quote from: "Chang"we have a girl named hannah in our section, are you loud? self concious? or a air head? if so you might be twins. anyways, welcome.

Loud, when I need/want to be
Self concious, maybe...
Air head, most definately Image
ttf_BBC1

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BBC1 »

Quote from: "homestar_runner"Quote from: "Chang"we have a girl named hannah in our section, are you loud? self concious? or a air head? if so you might be twins. anyways, welcome.

Loud, when I need/want to be
Self concious, maybe...
Air head, most definately Image

Hmm, a SMART air head though....Image

ttf_homestar_runner

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_homestar_runner »

Quote from: "bassbonechick1"

Hmm, a SMART air head though....Image

Thank you courtney! Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My name is Andrew Platta. I'm from Columbus Ga (no im not a redneck) I've been playing trumpet for 7 years and I recently found a love for trumpet..weird I know. my school is in need of a trombone section we only have freshman t-bone players and with no experiance in the section I was asked to lead them all 6 of us. I am really excited about playing.

p.s. Brass kicks.. well you get the point   Image  Image  Image
ttf_ParLawGod

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ParLawGod »

Hi Andrew!  Welcome to "THE DARK SIDE"  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm working on converting my friend. Welcome aboard.
ttf_AndrewsStrad0587

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_AndrewsStrad0587 »

Im gonna try and so far its coming along great! Thanks for welcoming me!

Also feel free to add me to your AOL instant messengers! Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well, I'm semi-new myself, but I'll throw my name in here:

I'm Staff Sergeant Paul Menz, United States Army. I've been playing since 5th grade (basically when most everyone in the world starts elementary school band). Did that through middle and high school, and I was an aspiring music education major at Bowling Green State Univ. in Ohio. I didn't get my degree due to reasons beyond my control (although some of it I should have controlled), so for al intents and purposes, i ran off and joined the US Army as a trombonist. Yes, I did go through Basic Combat Training ("boot camp") in 1994 and went to the Advance School in Norfolk Virginia. I was then assigned to the 282d Army Band at Fort Jackson, SC. My trombone playing has taken me halfway across the world (1 year with the 8th United States Army Band, Seoul, Korea), and on top of the world (9th Army Band, Fort Wainwright, Alaska.) Since November, I've been back with the 282d here at Ft. Jackson, where I serve as a trombonist, Operations Sergeant, and associate Drum Major for the Band.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey ya'll,

I don't really talk like that, but I'm new to the forum.  I play bass and tenor trombone.  Currently, I'm teaching band in South Texas and play in the South Texas Symphony Orchestra and have for 9 years.  I attended Michigan State and studied with Curtis Olson.  I've done a variety of playing in Michigan and Texas, including chamber, opera, pit orchestra, as well as regular orchestral stuff.  Like to listen to High Anxiety Bones, Randall Hawes, Ralph Sauer, Bob McChesney in recent days.  

Cheers,
Don Curry
ttf_VoodooChild42

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_VoodooChild42 »

Cool. Texas is a great place to be in a band. I'm considering checking out colleges down there. Welcome.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, I'm Josh.
         I'm the principal trombone, and lead and jazz trombone at quaint little Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth, where I'm a junior music major. Studied under Dave Butler, John Allen, and now Bryan English, along with midi and jazz voicings under Lou Carfa and jazz arranging under Aaron Lington. I do whatever freelance work floats my way, and have a small working group as well.
       Started playing in the 6th grade after I was told the saxophone would be too easy for me and I should play the trombone, but I never made all-state or anything mostly because of a general disinterest in big horns and legit playing. Anyway, I got over that and was lured to a small school by three alumni from my high school. My rig is an Elkhart 88h with a Conn 5gr
and an unidentified Holton with a Schilke 47.
        Besides the trombone, I'm into accumulating random bits of trivia, cigars, and Dallas Mavericks Basketball
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey alll!
I be Dave

I come from South Africa (that be in the southern hemisphere)
Been playing since 1997, I play here and there, but still trying to make my mark in a big way on the gig scene in SA (comes from moving around...)

Anyone else from SA?

i PlaY a Yamaha 681B, I like my Yamaha 6891B, I keep it for a while Image
I started playing in standard 6 (grade 8 i think...), went to Hilton College, then started studying at University of Pretoria (translation S.African University = U.S.A College) from 2002-2003
2004 moved down to Durban, studyin at University of Kwa-Zulu Natal.

Kool!

Anyone in S Africa, look me up Image
ttf_ParLawGod

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ParLawGod »

Welcome to the forum Dave!  Looks like you have quite a background already!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Been here for a week or two now, but I figured there'd be no harm in me posting.

I'm Sean, and I'm not really a trombonist. I sit second chair in the euphonium section at Lycoming College, Williamsport PA. Sat first chair in my high school in Morrisville, PA. I just don't tell people that I was the only euph player there. Oh wait...I just did..drat...anyway, I'm working on picking up tuba, I've dabbled in trombone, but I'm leary on working on it over the summer by myself, don't want to learn anything wrong. Gonna wait to get back to school next year where I a. have access to a trombone, and b. have access to my instructor. I love this site, by the way, it's helpful to those of us who don't play trombone, too.
ttf_dave_solo

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dave_solo »

Hey Sean!

nothing wrong with being a euph player, it's an orchestral intrument too! (i personally stick to the trom).
I am familiar with the "I am the only one!! aagh!" scenario, back in school I was the player picked,

(wait for it)

Because I was the only one!!!
(actually, there was one other trombone player, but he no good!!)

If anyone is ever in South Africa, give me a ring, I can hook you up with da scene here! (there is a reason so many people don't go back......)
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "dave_solo"Hey Sean!

nothing wrong with being a euph player, it's an orchestral intrument too! (i personally stick to the trom).
I am familiar with the "I am the only one!! aagh!" scenario, back in school I was the player picked,

(wait for it)

Because I was the only one!!!
(actually, there was one other trombone player, but he no good!!)

If anyone is ever in South Africa, give me a ring, I can hook you up with da scene here! (there is a reason so many people don't go back......)
I know a guy that used to live in South Africa (went to college there and all) due to his fathers work, but now he lives here in the US.
ttf_phonyreal98

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_phonyreal98 »

I'm new, I haven't been here since March!  Do I count as new?  Huh? Huh?
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi Ya'll ,

Yes, being from Arkensaw I do talk like that, well sometimes.
My real name is Harold and I've lurked around here for a few weeks, first looking for information on a good Jazz horn to buy and now I find myself rather addicted.  I am a 41 year old computer programmer who still plays just for the joy of playing.   Having 3 teenagers keeps the playing time down to just Sunday mornings in church and other small gigs around the community where I live.   But now that they are driving themselves more, maybe I'll have more time for fun.   Image
Thanks to all the regular posters on this site who seem to have a vast wealth of knowledge.   This is a great web site.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

heya!

its gonna be rather messy here! ...come from singapore (and singapore is not in china!!!). thought i'd say it cos everyone i've met on yahoo games asked me that!

heheh...am playing trumpet/trombone in a local ska band, bass guitar in another local experimental band (think sigur ros, godspeed you black emperor!)

used to play euphonium in secondary school and then junior college symphonic bands! but havent touched euph for a long time now  Image
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "kwitchyrbelyachn"Hi Ya'll ,

Yes, being from Arkensaw I do talk like that, well sometimes.
My real name is Harold and I've lurked around here for a few weeks, first looking for information on a good Jazz horn to buy and now I find myself rather addicted.  I am a 41 year old computer programmer who still plays just for the joy of playing.   Having 3 teenagers keeps the playing time down to just Sunday mornings in church and other small gigs around the community where I live.   But now that they are driving themselves more, maybe I'll have more time for fun.   Image
Thanks to all the regular posters on this site who seem to have a vast wealth of knowledge.   This is a great web site.
Hiyah, your a mid-westerner like me (or at least I was born in the midwest until our recent move.)  Well welcome to the forum.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey,I'm Jeff,I got to Robinson High School in Texas.I am a Bass Trombone,and band is basically my life.I'm in 9th grade,and made All-State as a freshman here,(which doesn't happen every-day here,in fact I'm the 2nd trombone in 30 years to do it.)

I hope to learn a lot of things over the course of my high-school career,and I plan to go to UNT(University of N.Texas.)
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "BassTrombone021"Hey,I'm Jeff,I got to Robinson High School in Texas.I am a Bass Trombone,and band is basically my life.I'm in 9th grade,and made All-State as a freshman here,(which doesn't happen every-day here,in fact I'm the 2nd trombone in 30 years to do it.)

I hope to learn a lot of things over the course of my high-school career,and I plan to go to UNT(University of N.Texas.)
WOW!  Sounds like your an awsome trombone player, second in 30 years, and this is Texas, its not some tiny state.  Well welcom to the forum.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Wait,let me fix that,I'm the 2nd freshman at Robinson to do it in 30 years.Still good though.The first is a Jr. in high-school currently.He's an awesome player.

But I still made it to State,which I'm very proud of.
ttf_BillyB

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BillyB »

I've been here about a week, so I guess I should introduce myself...

I'm from Huntsville, AL- I went to Grissom High School, first chair for 3 years, all state band and principal all state orchestra for 5 years, Studied with Marta Hofacre at Southern Miss for 3 years, transferred to The University of North Florida, where I studied trombone with John Moak, Scott Whitfield, Marc Dickman and Paul Weikle... Studied improv with Bunky Green and Jack Peterson, and arranging with Bill Prince. I worked for Universal Studios Florida and Disney (both coasts, not abroad though) for a few years, Toured with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, Royal Caribbean Cruises, and most recently on Bourbon Street and in Destin, FL at John Wehner's Famous Door 5 nights a week for 5 1/2 years. That's the reader's digest version, anyway... I'd start listing people I've played with, but that would take a while, and no one really wants to read it anyway. Currently I play principal with the Huntsville Opera Theater orchestra, Madison Community Chorus orchestra, the Twickenham horns, The Brass Band of Huntsville, I've started working with local high schools and area players to organize a (or several) trombone choir, gig around where I can, and teach privately. I own an Elkhart 88H, 2 Yamaha 691s (one's 18 years old, one's 2) and a Yamaha 612 Bass bone. I love Jazz (my degree from UNF is in Jazz studies) but will listen to most anything. Someone once said "There are only 2 kinds of music- good and bad." I try to stay away from the bad... and encourage the good. Anyone else from Huntsville??
ttf_Andrew

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Andrew »

I'm close to Scottsborro, does that count?
ttf_BillyB

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BillyB »

Quote from: "Andrew Swann"I'm close to Scottsborro, does that count?

Yeah, that's close. Do you ever make it down this way? I did a gig in Scottsboro a few weeks ago... a funeral. The wanted a New Orleans style wake.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi,  I remember using a Mac SE  to get email posts from the Trombone-L from Missouri.  I havent posted much over the years.  I have had a educational time reading everyone else's posts.  there are some very smart people out there.

I grew up in Billings MT.  in fifth grade a saxophone was twice as much as a trombone so dad bought me a trombone.  I was second trombone in all state my  junior and senior year.  I wanted to do something different so I joined the USMC in 1989 as Infantry.  I was in the embassy evacuation of Liberia Africa and then in desert storm.  Imoved to NC in 1993.  I went to Western Carolina University from 1994-1999.  while I was there I was in the Warner Bros. movie "My Fellow Americans"  with James Garner and Jack Lemon.  I was a Dorothy in the All Dorothy Marching Band.    Check Out My Profile Pic.    It is my one and only professional experience.  it is kinda cool having a W2 from Warner Bros.

Now I am a store manager for Things Remembered.  Take your mouthpieces there to get your name engraved.

I play in a contemporary christian band and i audition next week for the 2nd trombone in the Blue Ridge Civic Orchestra.

IU am also an MP in the NC Army National Guard.   Any other tbn in the Asheville, area drop me a line...
ttf_Andrew

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Andrew »

Quote from: "wbargetzi"Quote from: "Andrew Swann"I'm close to Scottsborro, does that count?

Yeah, that's close. Do you ever make it down this way? I did a gig in Scottsboro a few weeks ago... a funeral. The wanted a New Orleans style wake.

I come out there a little but, usually gigs with the jazz band I'm in. But it is the local college so we are done until summer is over.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've just been appointed Jazz Trombone/Jazz Comp/Arr Professor at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.  I've got a limited number of openings for jazz trombone students for 2004/2005.  There is still some scholarship money available for graduate and undergraduate jazz trombone students who apply before July 1, 2004. Rutgers has a world class jazz faculty: Stanley Cowell(Piano), Ralph Bowen(Sax,Jazz Theory),Victor Lewis(Drums), Mike Richmond(Bass),and Vic Juris(Guitar), to name a few. Prospective jazz trombone students would have these faculty members for theory, improv, combo, jazz history, etc., and study trombone, composition, and arranging with me. Any one interested can contact  Lois Fromer at Rutgers admissions: [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] or me directly at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. Feel free to visit my web-site at www.conradherwig.com. I would appreciate if you could spread the word that I am now teaching exclusively at Rutgers. All the best
ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Hello Conrad!

Welcome to the forum.
ttf_Dubya

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Dubya »

Well, I'm relatively new, and I'm still officially a "New Member," so here it goes.

My real name is Alex Wyatt. I'm a Junior in high school in Central Iowa, though I will be a Senior at the end of this week. I've played the tenor trombone since 5th grade. I originally tried out for French Horn (only God Himself knows why, or maybe not), but I couldn't buzz into the mouthpiece to save my life. The lady told me to try a trombone piece, and I've been stuck with it ever since, and haven't regretted it for a second.

I use a Bach 36 with a messed up screwpiece for concert band, and my original King student horn for jazz and marching. I'm learning to play the baritone so that I can march in a drum corp. My favourite horn of all of them is the King, because I feel best with it, I don't know why. I prefer Jazz over all else.

I've been active on the forum for the better part of this calendar year, and have contributed a few posts that total less responses than the smallest thread I've seen from RHM. I'm still trying to find the perfect thread to get everyone's attention.

Oh yeah, and the guy to told me about this site is none other than the great Paul McKee.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey you Guys, Im a new member here... not really because i have been reading this excellent forum over the past week or two. my name is andrew zager and i am in 9th grade in kenmore washington. (this is a suburb close to seattle) i play a getzen 3047 AF and i just bought a 3508 Y custom Jazz. I study under cathy cole (if any of y'all know her let me know!) this year i was principle trombone at our all state band. i really like this forum and have already learned a lot, and im sure i will have questions in the future to ask you.
P.S.- to all of you german trombonists out there i am studying deutsch in HS so i might have language questions to ask.

ttf_bluenite

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_bluenite »

wbargetzi:  Seeing that you play with the brass band of huntsville, you must know Dr. Daniel Hornstein, small world, I know him Image  Image . He was my euph. private lesson instructor when I went to the college in Minot State University in Minot, ND. I learned a lot from him  Image  Please say  Image  for me. If he asks who I am, my name is Paul Routledge, that Canadian euph. player from The Pas, MB. I will be moving to Brandon, MB in a couple of weeks or so.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i'm new.  I was known in high school as the one who did it all.  i started on woodwinds, then moved to brass....i can now play....flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto/tenor/bari sax, baritone/euph, trumpet, and bone.  Um, right now i would be at NIU, but i was rejected after keeping me on a waiting list for four months, and they're going to be sorry they passed me up.  Until then, i'm at home, working, practicing, messing around trying to amuse myself....

that's me in a nutshell, but if anyone has any forum questions or anything related to instruments other than bone, i may be a pretty good resource, as i've done my rounds just about everywhere! Image  Image  Image  Image

Return to “Chit-Chat”