Learning to play loose!

ttf_demaxx1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Hi Guys, I picked up the trombone again after 25 years about 6 months ago. I got my chops back in shape by practicing every day. My tone has returned. My tone has always been good. I am having the same problem I had when I was younger. I play the slide very stiff. I watch other really good players and they are so smooth with the slide, they seem just to glide. I move like a robot. Is there any drills that I can do to learn to loosen up? I am now playing with our Community Band, and at church. I want to be better.
ttf_BGuttman

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I had a drill like this:

Play "tuning" Bb: 8 tones.  Now start moving the slide from 1 to 3 trying to hit the note as the slide passes the proper place, so you do Bb, A, Ab, A, Bb, A, Ab, A, Bb.  Finish up with 8 Bbs.  Now move down to 2nd position.  Same pattern.  You probably can't go beyond 5, but if you have an F-attachment you can use the trigger range the same way.

Good luck.
ttf_Stewbones43

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Do you move your slide from the elbow or from the wrist?

I try to use a combination of both!

Try playing notes in 1st,2nd,3rd,2nd,1st,2nd,3rd etc, over and over, getting faster all the time, starting on middle Bb, top of the stave.
Then do positions 2,3,4,3,2; then 3,4,5,4,3 etc.
Change the starting note, D or F or low Bb.

In order to speed up you will have to use a wrist action.

Then try Bb major scale starting on Middle Bb top of stave and going up 1 octave using positions 1,3,4,3,1,2,2,3.

Good luck.

Cheers

Stewbones

ttf_ssking2b

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

All good advice so far.  Here's a little more.  Your right hand should grip the slide with no more than thumb and 2 fingers. Thumb and 1 finger is fine (I do this).  The first knuckle on your thumb should be facing your chops, NOT facing upwards. DO NOT rest the weight of your hand or finger(s)/thumb on the slide.  They should be at the almost bottom of you hand grip but NOT resting on the slide.  Loosen up the "Death Grip" you probably have on the hand brace.  That will kill smooth motion in a heart beat.  Then follow the advice the guys gave you above. 

Proper technique starts the moment you touch the horn, not just the moment you start to play.

ttf_W/SBTRB

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_W/SBTRB »

Try this.
Do glissando from 1 to 7 position and back counting in your head 123456-123456. Count 6 will always be either position 1 or 7. Use a metronome to help keep a steady 6/8 feel or a 3/4 waltz tempo. After glissando use legato tonguing. Then regular tonguing finally staccato tonguing. Once you are using the tongue notice if you are trying to stop at every position. This exercise comes from Allen Ostrander's Bass Trombone Method.

One other thing to notice is if the left hand grip on the trombone is tight or you feel like you are squeezing it. That tension has a way of transferring everywhere and particularly the right hand. If you squeeze with one you also squeeze the other side so the slide arm will have jerky motions.

I remember a master class by Ernest Lyon, professor of trombone at the University of Louisville (This goes back along time) doing a relaxation session. He had us all laid down on our back and beginning with the toes telling each body part that moved t0 relax. As crazy as it sounds it does work. Also say it out loud. Toes on the left foot relax. Say it calm and softly.
ttf_demaxx1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Oct 15, 2017, 07:45AMDo you move your slide from the elbow or from the wrist?

I try to use a combination of both!

Try playing notes in 1st,2nd,3rd,2nd,1st,2nd,3rd etc, over and over, getting faster all the time, starting on middle Bb, top of the stave.
Then do positions 2,3,4,3,2; then 3,4,5,4,3 etc.
Change the starting note, D or F or low Bb.

In order to speed up you will have to use a wrist action.

Then try Bb major scale starting on Middle Bb top of stave and going up 1 octave using positions 1,3,4,3,1,2,2,3.

Good luck.

Cheers

Stewbones

I unfortunately use mostly elbow. My techniques of holding the horn and slide seem to be correct, from what I have been reading here! There is some good information here. When I was younger my reflexes were quick enough to make up for bad technique. Not any more! I want to play it correctly. If it takes me doing wrist drills, and note drills, hitting the note as I pass. I will add them to my practice session everyday. Good players I have watched look so smooth, and look like I am having a seizure jerking around.

Thank you!

ttf_demaxx1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 15, 2017, 07:44AMI had a drill like this:

Play "tuning" Bb: 8 tones.  Now start moving the slide from 1 to 3 trying to hit the note as the slide passes the proper place, so you do Bb, A, Ab, A, Bb, A, Ab, A, Bb.  Finish up with 8 Bbs.  Now move down to 2nd position.  Same pattern.  You probably can't go beyond 5, but if you have an F-attachment you can use the trigger range the same way.

Good luck.

I just did this drill, I can see how it will loosen me up, and cause me to move smoother. I guess if I keep doing these type of drills over and over they will become second nature, and I will continue to do them while I am actually playing a piece.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Also keep in mind efficiency. Do racecar drivers slam on the brakes to a complete stop then floor it comin in and out of corners? It’s all about making the most effortless and most accurate transitions.
ttf_Geordie

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Buried in all the helpful suggestions was reference to using a metronome. I have found this to be a great way of being able to get a measure of progress and challenge by gradually increasing tempo over time. Keeping the tuning and tone right as you speed up becomes the goal.
ttf_demaxx1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: Geordie on Yesterday at 12:34 AMBuried in all the helpful suggestions was reference to using a metronome. I have found this to be a great way of being able to get a measure of progress and challenge by gradually increasing tempo over time. Keeping the tuning and tone right as you speed up becomes the goal.

I tried last night with my metronome, I noticed I immediately started jerking again, trying to keep up with the beat! I think this is going to take me some time, to get rid of bad habits.

I watched a trombone quartet last night on YouTube. The guy playing the lead, on position 1-3 he never moved his arm, the only time he moved his arm was when he went to forth or lower. Everything else was wrist, and was smooth as silk. It looked so effortless.

About the same time I posted this, I had sent a email to my repair man. He is a not only a repair man, he is a player and teaches private lessons on trombone. Here is what he emailed me back, I got it this morning.

"Learning to play loosely and smooth as you called it! Is as much a state of mind as it is technique. You need to relax! Have you ever lost control of your slide while playing or shot your slide across the floor? If you haven't, you are holding your slide too tight. You want just enough pressure to hold on to it. I noticed when you played here picking up your trombone, that when you hold the slide you actually ball your ring and pinky fingers up like a fist. That makes everything tight, in your hand and wrist. I suggest that you leave those fingers loose and you will be amazed how much looser you play. I don't critique customers unless they ask me.

Good luck!
S"
ttf_Geezerhorn

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: demaxx1 on Yesterday at 06:46 AMI tried last night with my metronome, I noticed I immediately started jerking again, trying to keep up with the beat! I think this is going to take me some time, to get rid of bad habits.

I watched a trombone quartet last night on YouTube. The guy playing the lead, on position 1-3 he never moved his arm, the only time he moved his arm was when he went to forth or lower. Everything else was wrist, and was smooth as silk. It looked so effortless.

About the same time I posted this, I had sent a email to my repair man. He is a not only a repair man, he is a player and teaches private lessons on trombone. Here is what he emailed me back, I got it this morning.

"Learning to play loosely and smooth as you called it! Is as much a state of mind as it is technique. You need to relax! Have you ever lost control of your slide while playing or shot your slide across the floor? If you haven't, you are holding your slide too tight. You want just enough pressure to hold on to it. I noticed when you played here picking up your trombone, that when you hold the slide you actually ball your ring and pinky fingers up like a fist. That makes everything tight, in your hand and wrist. I suggest that you leave those fingers loose and you will be amazed how much looser you play. I don't critique customers unless they ask me.

Good luck!
S"

Would you please post the link pertaining to what I have highlighted in red? I believe it is a concept that escapes about 95% or more of trombone players; even those who claim to have a supple slide technique.

...Geezer
ttf_bassclef

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_bassclef »

Here's a free lesson in slide technique from The Trombone Forum's own Sam Burtis (sabutin):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i-wZM82HXM

He's the one closest to the camera when the solos start. Everything you're asking about is demonstrated at a high level in this video.
ttf_BGuttman

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The guy in the middle is Lewis Kahn and the guy on the far end is Barry Rogers.  Quite an all-star section.

Note that all 3 are holding the slide near the bottom of the brace with no more than 2 fingers and the thumb.
ttf_bassclef

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_bassclef »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 12:44 PMThe guy in the middle is Lewis Kahn and the guy on the far end is [s]Barry Rogers[/s] Jimmy Bosch.  Quite an all-star section.

Fixed that for you.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Throw the slide, don't push it. There is no reason to maintain physical contact with the slide at all times, in case you're doing that. You just need to throw it and then catch it at the end position. No matter whether you use wrist or elbow.
ttf_demaxx1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Yesterday at 07:32 AMWould you please post the link pertaining to what I have highlighted in red? I believe it is a concept that escapes about 95% or more of trombone players; even those who claim to have a supple slide technique.

...Geezer

This is the video I was watching, Their bass trombonist moves a lot like me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJaX4ZpfULM
ttf_Steven

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Andrew Meronek on Yesterday at 04:42 PMThrow the slide, don't push it. There is no reason to maintain physical contact with the slide at all times, in case you're doing that. You just need to throw it and then catch it at the end position. No matter whether you use wrist or elbow.

What happens if I miss?  If I throw the slide into seventh position, I am catching it with fingertips.  How do I prevent the occasional embarrassing mishap?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Andrew Meronek on Yesterday at 04:42 PMThrow the slide, don't push it. There is no reason to maintain physical contact with the slide at all times, in case you're doing that. You just need to throw it and then catch it at the end position. No matter whether you use wrist or elbow.

Would you care to elaborate on this? I am having a difficult time imagining how I would do this or what it would even look like. I make a point of staying in contact 100% of the time with the slide as I am playing. I practice exercises to help me do so.
Surely throwing the slide takes away some if the precision? Unless I have misunderstood what you mean. I am keen to try it, if I know exactly how to do it effectively.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Learning to play loose!

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Yesterday at 05:06 PMWould you care to elaborate on this? I am having a difficult time imagining how I would do this or what it would even look like. I make a point of staying in contact 100% of the time with the slide as I am playing. I practice exercises to help me do so.
Surely throwing the slide takes away some if the precision? Unless I have misunderstood what you mean. I am keen to try it, if I know exactly how to do it effectively.

To move the slide out, throw the slide with a thumb and catch with your fingers. Vice versa for moving the slide in. Throwing does not mean getting your hand completely out of line with the slide.
ttf_oslide

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_oslide »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Yesterday at 05:06 PM--- snip ---
Would you care to elaborate on this?

Perhaps have a look at this video with Slide Hampton. It's quite fast though and the camera doesn't really picture it precisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5xN0xJVXs
ttf_bigbassbone1

Learning to play loose!

Quote from: Andrew Meronek on Yesterday at 05:10 PMTo move the slide out, throw the slide with a thumb and catch with your fingers. Vice versa for moving the slide in. Throwing does not mean getting your hand completely out of line with the slide.

No of course not, I wasn't thinking that, but how is that beneficial? Surely as soon as you had to play any sort of fast passage you would be working harder and have less chance of being precise with where you stop the slide?

I guess what I am having trouble understanding is that if you don't have complete control the entire time over how the slide moves, you are just making it harder for yourself Surely? How do you have complete control over the slide if there are consistent movements where the slide is not always connected to your own movement?

ttf_bigbassbone1

Learning to play loose!

Quote from: oslide on Yesterday at 05:17 PMPerhaps have a look at this video with Slide Hampton. It's quite fast though and the camera doesn't really picture it precisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5xN0xJVXs

Thanks yeah I'll have a look  Image
ttf_Geordie

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Quote from: demaxx1 on Yesterday at 06:46 AMI tried last night with my metronome, I noticed I immediately started jerking again, trying to keep up with the beat! I think this is going to take me some time, to get rid of bad habits.

When that happens to me I slow it down. If you are playing a piece of music it will sound strange and artificial, but remember the focus just now is on smooth movement. As you get better you can speed up and play good sounds in a relaxed way.  Relaxed grip on slide and brace with shoulders low and wide helped me relax which was helpful.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Learning to play loose!

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Yesterday at 05:19 PMNo of course not, I wasn't thinking that, but how is that beneficial? Surely as soon as you had to play any sort of fast passage you would be working harder and have less chance of being precise with where you stop the slide?

I guess what I am having trouble understanding is that if you don't have complete control the entire time over how the slide moves, you are just making it harder for yourself Surely? How do you have complete control over the slide if there are consistent movements where the slide is not always connected to your own movement?

What constitutes complete control?

I ask that because that's an illusion in life and in trombone.

What matters is not complete control. What matters is control where a decision matters. That is at the start and end points of a slide motion. That's all you need to control.

I'm not talking about completely flailing on the slide. Maybe just a separation of a centimeter, maybe a millimeter between the slide bar and a finger/thumb. It's not really about the loss of control during the middle of a slide movement - it's about controlling the start and end, so you just allow the slide to follow your intent as it pleases after you start the motion, and stop it where you want it to go.

Keep in mind, I am talking about using real force to move the slide FAST. There's no room for doubt.

ttf_BGuttman

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I don't throw my slide.  But I don't hold it with a death grip either.  I use the LaFosse grip with the thumb on one side of the lower part of the slide brace and one finger on the other side.  I don't let go.  I allow a small amount of flexion in the wrist but do most of my movement with the elbow.

The drill I gave (and variations, like 1-2-4-2-1 or 1-3-4-3-1 or 1-3-5-3-1) with a continuous movement of the slide allows synchronization between tongue and slide position without needing to stop the slide before you attempt a note.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Learning to play loose!

Quote from: Andrew Meronek on Yesterday at 06:02 PMWhat constitutes complete control?

I ask that because that's an illusion in life and in trombone.

What matters is not complete control. What matters is control where a decision matters. That is at the start and end points of a slide motion. That's all you need to control.

I'm not talking about completely flailing on the slide. Maybe just a separation of a centimeter, maybe a millimeter between the slide bar and a finger/thumb. It's not really about the loss of control during the middle of a slide movement - it's about controlling the start and end, so you just allow the slide to follow your intent as it pleases after you start the motion, and stop it where you want it to go.

Keep in mind, I am talking about using real force to move the slide FAST. There's no room for doubt.

Haha! That got a lot deeper than I was expecting.
Yes I think I understand what you are talking about in theory, I'm just having a hard time visualising it. I just had a go in my recent practice session. I know nothing ever works well 1st go, but I failed miserably, I think it's the kind of thing I would have to watch someone do closely. Dunno.
ttf_demaxx1

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 08:20 PMI don't throw my slide.  But I don't hold it with a death grip either.  I use the LaFosse grip with the thumb on one side of the lower part of the slide brace and one finger on the other side.  I don't let go.  I allow a small amount of flexion in the wrist but do most of my movement with the elbow.

The drill I gave (and variations, like 1-2-4-2-1 or 1-3-4-3-1 or 1-3-5-3-1) with a continuous movement of the slide allows synchronization between tongue and slide position without needing to stop the slide before you attempt a note.

This has been a great post, So much good information I am learning. It is a good post for beginner players to read too. Habit breaking is going to be hard! Last night I did some of the earlier drills, while pacing around the living room. Right now I have to watch what I am doing and concentrate on it very hard. On watching videos of really good and smooth players. They all allow their slide hand to be completely relaxed on the slide. While I am technically holding the slide correctly, it is like what someone said earlier on this post, I still have a death grip on it. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE doing it the correct way. I will use this drill today practicing.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: demaxx1 on Today at 04:22 AMThis has been a great post, So much good information I am learning. It is a good post for beginner players to read too. Habit breaking is going to be hard! Last night I did some of the earlier drills, while pacing around the living room. Right now I have to watch what I am doing and concentrate on it very hard. On watching videos of really good and smooth players. They all allow their slide hand to be completely relaxed on the slide. While I am technically holding the slide correctly, it is like what someone said earlier on this post, I still have a death grip on it. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE doing it the correct way. I will use this drill today practicing.

I can tell you from experience, be mindful of intonation while in the learning process of breaking a bad habit and learning a good one. Playing more relaxed isn't a free pass on playing sloppily! And if tongue/slide co-ordination gets wonky, you could end up sounding like a drunken sailor.

Just like a good tone/sound concept, I believe it is also important for us students to have a good posture/poise concept, with very little - if any - wasted or unproductive movement of the horn on the face or hand on the slide. That is not to say playing with style is bad, though. But good mechanics tops everything.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Learning to play loose!

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: demaxx1 on Today at 04:22 AMThis has been a great post, So much good information I am learning. It is a good post for beginner players to read too. Habit breaking is going to be hard! Last night I did some of the earlier drills, while pacing around the living room. Right now I have to watch what I am doing and concentrate on it very hard. On watching videos of really good and smooth players. They all allow their slide hand to be completely relaxed on the slide. While I am technically holding the slide correctly, it is like what someone said earlier on this post, I still have a death grip on it. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE doing it the correct way. I will use this drill today practicing.

I can tell you from experience, be mindful of intonation while in the learning process of breaking a bad habit and learning a good one. Playing more relaxed isn't a free pass on playing sloppily! And if tongue/slide co-ordination gets wonky, you could end up sounding like a drunken sailor.

Just like a good tone/sound concept, I believe it is also important for us students to have a good posture/poise concept, with very little - if any - wasted or unproductive movement of the horn on the face or hand on the slide. That is not to say playing with style is bad, though. But good mechanics tops everything.

...Geezer

Return to “Practice Room”