Multiphonics Balance Singing/Playing

ttf_cbartels

Post by ttf_cbartels »

Hey all,

I've been working on some multiphonics lately, prepping for a performance of Evan Hause's "Struggle" for unaccomp. tbn.

I consider myself to be quite good at multiphonics, so singing the proper pitches while maintaining steady and in tune pitch on the horn is no problem.

I am however not happy with the balance between the sung pitches and the played pitches. I want the singing to be higher in the mix, especially on more dissonant intervals. On things such as 4ths, 5ths, and octaves the balance is fine. The dissonant intervals get a bit muddy, even when in tune, so I'm thinking if the sung notes are louder that will help clean it up.

Thoughts on how to sing louder while playing at the same (or a quieter) volume? It is very difficult to control each volume independently. (ie. when trying to sing louder, the playing usually ends up getting louder.)

Thanks!
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

I've heard stories that Albert Manglesdorff could be found in a practice room with a piano, hitting notes on the keyboard and then singing the same pitch just as loudly as he could manage. Seems to have worked for him...  Image

ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

A problem is the trombone itself, try singing in the horn without playing, some tones will be easy to sing other tones does not come out very easy because of the trombones acoustic. When free buzzing and singing it could work fine, in the horn it is very easy to sing fifths a decimas to a played tone, the acoustic is helping. some other intervals is much harder. Just practice, nothing else helps.
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

A problem is the trombone itself, try singing in the horn without playing, some tones will be easy to sing other tones does not come out very easy because of the trombones acoustic. When free buzzing and singing it could work fine, in the horn it is very easy to sing fifths a decimas to a played tone, the acoustic is helping. some other intervals is much harder. Just practice, nothing else helps.

Return to “Practice Room”