Mouthpiece for Mirafone contrabass

ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Due to some seriously good luck and - I am pretty sure - optimally aligned planetary bodies...

I stumbled across a Mirafone BBb/FF contrabass trombone today.  And I urgently need a mouthpiece for it.  The receiver appears to be the same as (or very close to) bass trombone shank.  Any suggestions?...  THANKS in advance!

ttf_octavposaune

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

Believe it or not Bach has a great starter Contra piece.  Its 30MM inner rim and a cool outer shape.

Mouthpiece Express has one in stock.  The VB Contra piece was designed for the Conn Contrabasses.

Stock number is CB30

Benn
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

If that don't look like an old Minick mouthpiece, I don't know what does.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: greenbean on Sep 12, 2017, 10:52PMDue to some seriously good luck and - I am pretty sure - optimally aligned planetary bodies...

I stumbled across a Mirafone BBb/FF contrabass trombone today.  And I urgently need a mouthpiece for it.  The receiver appears to be the same as (or very close to) bass trombone shank.  Any suggestions?...  THANKS in advance!

Shut ya mouth!! That's a lucky find if I've ever heard of one
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You can also consider the Marcinkiewicz 105.  It's the smalles of their 3 100's and is nominally a contra mouthpiece.
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

For a BBb contra you want to go larger rather than smaller on the mouthpiece. The Bach 30CB works well with the Mirafone BBb/FF. I didn't personally much like the Marcinkiewicz 107 when I tried it in mine, for what it's worth - it needed bigger.
ttf_SBMaestro

Post by ttf_SBMaestro »

Our college also has a Miraphone BBb contrabass trombone, and after trying several mouthpieces, the Bach 30CB worked the best.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If I recall correctly there are two: 30CB and 32CB (30 being larger).  They match up to the Tuba models of the same number.  I have a Tuba 32, which was way too small for me on my tuba but was perfect for a friend who needed a smaller tuba mouthpiece (he was getting older and his current mouthpiece was too big for him to manage).
ttf_octavposaune

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

32CB is 32mm ID rim, so its bigger.  Its also out of production.  Bach only has the CB30 now and mouthpiece express had it in stock.

That design is from the 1950s, so predates Minicks work by a far bit.  Bobo apparently had these designed for the Conn Contra he owned.

Benn
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Thanks, Benn!  Thanks, all!

I will probably pick up the CB30.

ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I played one recently that was matched to a Yamaha tuba mouthpiece on the small side. It played and responded very well with that setup, surprisingly.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I played one recently that was matched to a Yamaha tuba mouthpiece on the small side. It played and responded very well with that setup, surprisingly.

Return to “Instruments”