V cornette

ttf_Jesse

V cornette

Post by ttf_Jesse »

Hello
I've been playing trombone for 2 years but all my teachers say I'm advanced for the time I've played. I can play fast pieces and am comfortable in the high range. I just got the v cornette method book but I'm not sure where to start. I already found something that might be on my level. Any ideas?
ttf_LowrBrass

V cornette

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

You mentioned in your "intermediate trombone" thread that you're studying with a private trombone teacher, right? Did he/she just throw the book at you and say "you're on your own, kiddo"? That's lousy teaching.

The whole point of having a teacher is so they can figure out what you're doing wrong, and assign you specific exercises to help you get better at it.

ttf_Doug Elliott

V cornette

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

As I recall (it's been several decades) the Cornette book isn't really about "fixing problems," it just teaches you stuff you should know.  It's a good book for where you are.
ttf_Jesse

V cornette

Post by ttf_Jesse »

I did just switch teachers and I'm not sure if she has such a good idea of my level.
ttf_LowrBrass

V cornette

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: Jesse on Yesterday at 09:33 PMI did just switch teachers and I'm not sure if she has such a good idea of my level.

Well, then, a forum of strangers who've never heard you play will definitely give you a better answer.

On a less sarcastic note, I'm not familiar with the book, but Doug's one of the most highly-regarded pros around here. Listen to him.
ttf_paulyg

V cornette

Post by ttf_paulyg »

I worked out of that book for a while, not a huge fan. A little scatterbrained. I prefer Arbans.
ttf_paulyg

V cornette

Post by ttf_paulyg »

I worked out of that book for a while, not a huge fan. A little scatterbrained. I prefer Arbans.

Return to “Practice Room”