Olds Special vs Holton 65

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If someone has knowledge of these two, I'd like to know how they compare. Both are early 1960's versions, tri-color(reddish bell), and similar condition. This purchase would be for a high school student, not pursuing a music career, but a solid player.

Thanks
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

These are both straight small bore trombones.  First question is what kind of playing would they be used for?  Is this to be the sole instrument? 

The Holton 65 is generally thought of as a "lead trombone", i.e. one for playing high parts in a Jazz Band.  Generally a bit to small for Concert Band and most definitely too small for regualr use in an orchestra.  Also will have problems with any part other than 1st trombone.

The Olds is a little more general purpose.  It's a dual bore instrument and will have a more mellow tone.  Still a bit small for use in lower parts in Concert Band or in Orchestra.

For Pep Band or Marching Band, either one will work fine, but the Olds generally is built a little tougher and may take more abuse.
ttf_Lilac

Post by ttf_Lilac »

This would be more for jazz band perhaps marching.   Out of curiosity, are the two that I mentioned of similar quality? Are they professional models or student?

If the Olds is too small for concert band, can you suggest some lower priced bargain vintage trombones for high school concert band/symphony? Maybe there are some underrated trombones that I could hunt down. Image

(I can have the Olds for free, so no brainer.)

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For Concert Band and Orchestra, many of us use large bore symphonic trombones with F-attachments, although sometimes you can easily get away with a good medium bore.

Some of the brands that seems to go for good prices because they are either discontinued or not popular:

King 4B-F (Large bore)
Holton TR-150, TR-158 (large bore) or 160
Older Yamahas: 646, 684, 682, 648, 643 (mixture of large and medium bore)
Benge 175F (medium bore) or 190F (large bore).

I'm not sure if the Special is considered a Pro or Step-up.  I know the Radio, Studio, and Recording were considered pro horns and the Ambassador was considered a student horn.  Ambassador is a great horn for Marching Band and Pep Band -- built like a tank and takes all kinds of abuse.
ttf_Lilac

Post by ttf_Lilac »

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for one of these.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

If you're looking for a Olds Special, you want to go after a mid 70's version. The issue with the Olds is, they require a mouthpiece with a Morse taper, and a lot of mouthpieces will stick too far out in the receiver, which frustrates the player and causes intonation problems and not being to lock into notes. If you don't mind this challenge, buy the Special and try to find a Dennis Wick, Warburton, or custom Doug Elliott mp that would fit the horn. The Olds mouthpieces will fit just fine, but they tend to have a small rim diameter, etc.
If you have a chance, take the student to try the horn out and take some measuring tape; measure the length of the mouthpiece and the distance that it goes into the receiver, then compare it to another small bore horn. The differences will be hardly noticeable, but the player will notice it when they start playing on the horn!
Sometime in the 70's it seems that Olds changed their leadpipe specs so that an ordinary mouthpiece will fit into the horn.
Anyways, the Olds Special is an excellent "under the radar" budget jazz horn!

Can't comment on the Holton, because I haven't played on one. 
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

get the special  !!  they are very punchy  /////65  a  bit  more open  --65  were made  for awhile and bell size  changed
========
a reynolds emperor  is  a pro model  ///and some  older  conn directors  w 8 in bells  blow  about as good as 6h
 the olds  --find olds 3  mpc --fits receiver okokok
-----65  pro model

Quote from: Lilac on Aug 31, 2017, 01:58PMThis would be more for jazz band perhaps marching.   Out of curiosity, are the two that I mentioned of similar quality? Are they professional models or student?

If the Olds is too small for concert band, can you suggest some lower priced bargain vintage trombones for high school concert band/symphony? Maybe there are some underrated trombones that I could hunt down. Image

(I can have the Olds for free, so no brainer.)

ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: dj kennedy on Sep 02, 2017, 03:09AMget the special  !!  they are very punchy  /////65  a  bit  more open  --65  were made  for awhile and bell size  changed
========
a reynolds emperor  is  a pro model  ///and some  older  conn directors  w 8 in bells  blow  about as good as 6h
 the olds  --find olds 3  mpc --fits receiver okokok
-----65  pro model

I just purchased a Reynolds Emperor for $20.  It's ugly, but I was shocked at how good it sounded.  Didn't realize what I had until I played it.  I was going to pass it along to one of the local beginners, but I changed my mind.  This one is going to our daughter. Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Olds was a "one tolerance shop". Every student model Ambassador was built with the same love and attention and care that the highest quality Recording was built with.
Always buy Olds-- you can add new slides as needed, as all small bore Olds slides are interchangeable.
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: afugate on Sep 02, 2017, 04:41AMI just purchased a Reynolds Emperor for $20.  It's ugly, but I was shocked at how good it sounded.  Didn't realize what I had until I played it.  I was going to pass it along to one of the local beginners, but I changed my mind.  This one is going to our daughter. Image

--Andy in OKC

ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: afugate on Sep 02, 2017, 04:41AMI just purchased a Reynolds Emperor for $20.  It's ugly, but I was shocked at how good it sounded.  Didn't realize what I had until I played it.  I was going to pass it along to one of the local beginners, but I changed my mind.  This one is going to our daughter. Image

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Instruments”