How do you practice scales?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

How do you practice scales? I'm asking beyond going up and down the scale one octave. Whats a really good way of practicing a scale to really know it inside and out?
So far I've heard of several ways:

1) Practice the scale up and down the entire range of the horn
2) Arpeggiate the scale "" ""
3) Play it in thirds
4) Play it in forths
5) 1231 2342 etc. patterns

any other methods you guys use?
ttf_paulyg

Post by ttf_paulyg »

At the behest of my teacher I've been running through each scale's modes, so two octaves. Known as a 'rotating' scale. Music I downloaded here http://www.olemiss.edu/lowbrass/studio/scales/tromboneandeuphbclevel2.pdf said quarter note equals 180+; a couple months ago I switched over from eighth notes to sixteenths, and it's a great slide technique workout.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Arban's has ALL of those and more.  But nothing is labeled as such.  The old man knew what he was doing.
ttf_BiggieSmalls

Post by ttf_BiggieSmalls »

I like the first few pages of O. Blume 36 Studies For Trombone (Carl Fischer edition) as a daily run-through. A short scale-based etude, repeated in every key, following the circle of fifths, with emphasis on the use of extended positions.
ttf_paulyg

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 22, 2017, 07:38PMArban's has ALL of those and more.  But nothing is labeled as such.  The old man knew what he was doing.

I just don't have the heart to flip through all of the stuff I'm NOT practicing...
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Do scales in as many patterns you can find or think of.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I do plenty of patterns, but I make sure to play them straight through (major, 3 minors, chromatic, major, minor, augmented, diminished arpeggios) in all 12 keys every few days. It's easy to lose the slide memory!
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: Parousia on Aug 22, 2017, 07:09PMHow do you practice scales? I'm asking beyond going up and down the scale one octave. Whats a really good way of practicing a scale to really know it inside and out?
So far I've heard of several ways:

1) Practice the scale up and down the entire range of the horn
2) Arpeggiate the scale "" ""
3) Play it in thirds
4) Play it in forths
5) 1231 2342 etc. patterns

any other methods you guys use?

Yes to your list, but not only the major and minor scales (in all keys). Don't forget the pentatonic scales in all keys and the chromatic scales and the diminished scales and the whole tone scales. Have I forgot something?

The blues scales? The be-bop scales?

/Tom
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Parousia on Aug 22, 2017, 07:09PMHow do you practice scales? I'm asking beyond going up and down the scale one octave. Whats a really good way of practicing a scale to really know it inside and out?

Perhaps how should depend on why. 

If your purpose is just to know it inside and out, such that you won't be thrown by an unfamiliar key signature sightreading, most methods work.  The Arban patterns are good. Treble clef is on IMSLP free. 

If you want to ingrain slide patterns for facility, maybe a different method is better. 

If you're practicing articulation, you could download the Upside Down Scales book, free download, and apply the 12 Reinhardt tonguing patterns included. 

My brother goes up an octave, moves a half step higher, comes down that scale, moves half step, goes up.  Like, Bb scale up, B scale down, C scale up, Db down, to the limit of the horn.

I'm liking that 12 two octave scales in two minutes challenge from the other thread, because I'm struggling to maintain correct embouchure across two octaves.  I start on Eb in the staff and move down chromatically.  I haven't mastered this yet!  If you don't have a trigger horn that's about the only way to do it. Circle of 5ths is good too.   
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Perhaps how should depend on why. 

If your purpose is just to know it inside and out, such that you won't be thrown by an unfamiliar key signature sightreading, most methods work.  The Arban patterns are good. Treble clef is on IMSLP free. 

If you want to ingrain slide patterns for facility, maybe a different method is better. 

If you're practicing articulation, you could download the Upside Down Scales book, free download, and apply the 12 Reinhardt tonguing patterns included. 

My brother goes up an octave, moves a half step higher, comes down that scale, moves half step, goes up.  Like, Bb scale up, B scale down, C scale up, Db down, to the limit of the horn.

I'm liking that 12 two octave scales in two minutes challenge from the other thread, because I'm struggling to maintain correct embouchure across two octaves.  I start on Eb in the staff and move down chromatically.  I haven't mastered this yet!  If you don't have a trigger horn that's about the only way to do it. Circle of 5ths is good too.   

Return to “Practice Room”