Experience with aftermarket .500 leadpipes

ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

Anyone try the Brass Ark 32H Leadpipe, any of Ferguson's vntage replica leadpipes, or any others that have impressed you?  Seems like there's much discussion of leadpipes for 547s and bass, but not much on the forum about leadpipes for .500 horns.  Any experiences you've had?
ttf_DaveAshley

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I really like Kanstul's pipes.  I have the H6, the S, and the W6.  In my Williams, I like the H6 (though the Shires nickel #2 works the best for me).  I've heard the H6 works great in Conn .500's as well. In my Lawler, I much prefer the W6. I'd like to try that BrassArk pipe, but I would need to test it first before forking over that kind of dough!

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I really dig the W6 pipe. Tried some H pipes too, those are really nice (especially the H8 3B fixer.)

The pipe I settled on for my custom 2B+ is a nickel W6. That's a really dark horn and the Nickel W6 opens it up really nicely and gives it some brightness to balance it out (it has brass outer tubes.) For a nickel slide, I'd probably recommend the brass W6.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Of all things, the YSL354 pipe is actually pretty good.  And cheap.  Though I normally end up putting a Shires #2 in basically every bore size horn I have  Image
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

I have the Brassark pipe in seamed copper.  Have tried it in Doug's 354, my (now Bill Hamilton's)  100h, a Bach 12, and some others.  It plays very big, it makes a .500 horn play with an almost legit horn feel.  Doug commented at the time he tried it that it makes a .500 feel almost TOO open. 

I think it would be best suited for an Edwards or Conn style trombone where you wanted to tamp down some of the high overtones in the sound (think reigning in a lightweight, ringing bell), or a Shires-style horn that you wanted to be a .500 that played like a legit horn for Principal/Quintet situations. 

In other metals, I would expect the effects to be completely different, so this only applies to the copper as it's the only one I've tried. 
ttf_Bob Riddle

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

Love mine! will be ordering more pipes for my other horns in the future.
Bob Riddle
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Quote from: DaveAshley on Aug 16, 2017, 09:23PMI really like Kanstul's pipes.  I have the H6, the S, and the W6.  In my Williams, I like the H6 (though the Shires nickel #2 works the best for me).  I've heard the H6 works great in Conn .500's as well. In my Lawler, I much prefer the W6. I'd like to try that BrassArk pipe, but I would need to test it first before forking over that kind of dough!

Agreed!
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Quote from: DaveAshley on Aug 16, 2017, 09:23PMI really like Kanstul's pipes.  I have the H6, the S, and the W6.  In my Williams, I like the H6 (though the Shires nickel #2 works the best for me).  I've heard the H6 works great in Conn .500's as well. In my Lawler, I much prefer the W6. I'd like to try that BrassArk pipe, but I would need to test it first before forking over that kind of dough!

Agreed!

Return to “Accessories”