Storing spare bells

ttf_BazPozaunz

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_BazPozaunz »

Since I'm beginning to add more detachable bells to my stockpile I'm wondering how other folks keep their spare bells protected/stored when not in use? Just at home, not any considerations for travel with more than one. Do you use a cloth bag, custom box, wooden dowel on the wall...?
ttf_bonesmarsh

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

RubberMaid containers full of styrofoam peanuts. You can ship them that way as well.

Cheap. Reusable. Tough. Impact proof.
ttf_SilverBone

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I keep them in a spare trombone case along with a spare slide.   Image
ttf_BazPozaunz

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_BazPozaunz »

Seems like a waste of space for just a bell flare, especially when you have more than 2, no spare slides (which can be easily hung on a hook in a spare closet) and not much room for extra cases.
ttf_BillO

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_BillO »

I came across a Pro-Tec pBone gig bag at a good price that I keep a Shires bell and gooseneck in (unless of course it houses the other bell, and/or the other valve section...)
ttf_BazPozaunz

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_BazPozaunz »

Just to clarify, I am talking about a bell flare, no neck pipe, no valves, no tuning crook. Trying to find creative smart space saving ways of stashing extra bell flares when not in use.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Not a problem I have, but I have three ideas:

1) would be very neat to make a wall mount with a fixation system that matches the one of your bell braces, so you can mount your bells to the wall.

2) run a fishing line or thin rope or straps through your bells and hang them to a horizontal pole in a closet

3) as Bonesmarsh suggests, Rubbermaid boxes, except instead of packing peanuts (which I hate, they get everywhere and stick to everything), I'd buy some protective foam and cut out bell-shaped holes, like you would do with a customizable Titan case. You can fit 2,maybe 3 bells per box depending on their size and if you place them strategically. The foam will immobilize them and prevent them hitting each other in the box.
ttf_bassboneman

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

I just put mine in empty trombone cases!
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Either spare trombone cases or just sitting on a spare bed with a chamois to keep the dust off.
ttf_Matt K

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I've got enough cases that it actually saves space to put the spare bells in cases.  They fit under the bed and keep dust off of the bells too that way. My main axes (4) I have hung on the wall though using a shelf + dowels + plunger; will have to post pictures.

If I didnt' have all those extra cases, I'd probably make some kind of box for them to keep the dust and moisture out. 
ttf_BillO

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BazPozaunz on Jul 23, 2017, 08:34PMJust to clarify, I am talking about a bell flare, no neck pipe, no valves, no tuning crook. Trying to find creative smart space saving ways of stashing extra bell flares when not in use.
I'm not sure how this alters the situation.  Does the fact that I store my bell with a gooseneck attached in a gig bag somehow negate the usefulness of storing a bell in it alone?  If so, fine, before I got my gooseneck I stored the bell only in a pro-tec pBone gig bag.  They are small, light and cheap.
ttf_BazPozaunz

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_BazPozaunz »

"I'd buy some protective foam and cut out bell-shaped holes, like you would do with a customizable Titan case. You can fit 2,maybe 3 bells per box depending on their size and if you place them strategically. The foam will immobilize them and prevent them hitting each other in the box."

Image Now we are getting someplace! I really like this idea.
ttf_Alex

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_Alex »

Have all the spare bells made in to lampshades.
You can just swap them over when you need to use a different one.

ttf_anonymous

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just stack them like traffic cones.
ttf_anonymous

Storing spare bells

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just stack them like traffic cones.

Return to “Accessories”