Valve Trombone valve section stand

ttf_ntalarico

Post by ttf_ntalarico »

I have a Yamaha valve trombone with a 354 slide (thanks, DJ!).  The Yamaha case allows me to carry the slide and valve section with the bell.

BUT . . .

I would like to keep the valve section with me while I'm playing the slide.  Is there such a thing as a stand for the valve section only???  Image I'm sure there must be a solution I'm just not seeing . . . Help, please.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I would look at perhaps a saxophone stand. Or a guitar stand that has the little latch on the U that holds the neck.

Other than that you could get another trombone stand and get another Yamaha bell that will fit ( shameless plug: I have an "intermediate" Yamaha for sale that fits all M1 sized slides and the valve section ).

But what I did when playing a bass with removable second valve or an Olds valve bone that I used with my Super bell and slide is just have my case open next to me. Of course I had room when I needed both.

Maybe a hook that can clamp onto your music stand.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Will it fit on the Hercules stand that holds by the slide?
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I know the problem you have very well. I tried for a solution to the problem with my Bach LT16M slide bone combined with a V16 valve section. I had a hook on my music stand for both the valve and slide sections when not in use.

In the end I found it too time consuming and awkward to try and switch the valve and slide sections around whilst playing on stage. So, I got myself another bell and used two trombone stands. Image

Guess who I got the extra bell from? DJ of course! Image

Of course, it did mean I had to carry two trombone cases. Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Graham's idea is probably the best.  YSL354 bells can be easily found for next to nothing because of how bad slides can get while still having a decent bell section.
ttf_ntalarico

Post by ttf_ntalarico »

I rarely -- if EVER -- have room on a stage for two horns to be set up at the same time.  And I have Hercules . . . there's no way to get the valve section to sit on that thing.  I've thought about the saxophone or guitar stand approach, but haven't pulled the trigger.
ttf_witboi

Post by ttf_witboi »

Assuming you want to pay out the $$, a bass clarinet or bassoon stand should work.
ttf_witboi

Post by ttf_witboi »

Assuming you want to pay out the $$, a bass clarinet or bassoon stand should work.

Return to “Instruments”