Intonation across different horns

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Last Tuesday I brought out my new XO 1632 to a rehearsal and even though I tuned to my usual Bb position (about 1/2" out from the stops) the 1st trombone player noticed I was playing a tad flat in some of the faster sections, but not where the notes were sustained.  I checked tuning again and everything was fine, but the problem persisted until I pushed the tuning slide in another 3/4", then everything fell into place.

I think I figured it out.  My usual horn is my XO 1240 bass, so when I measure from the MP rim to the slide grip brace the distance is 3/4" longer on my 1240 than on the 1632.  My theory is that when playing the 1632 in the faster sections my muscles went to where they were used to going, making me play a little flat.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The tuning tendencies across different horns can be wildly different. Not just due to different bell positions and, slide lengths, slide stay position etc. but the harmonics will line up differently.

My R9 and my Duo Gravis have fairly similar tendencies in and above the staff, but are very different across the valves. My 72H is different entirely. Much less in tune with itself, different bell position, longer slide. This always requires a bit of preparation when I need to play it. When I have to play my 88H I always have to remember just how unbelievably sharp the F above the staff is (among a few other notes) or I get caught out. My 48H has the slide stay further along the slide than the other instruments which has the same effect you noticed with your trombones.

Long story short, if you play lots of horns you need to put time into all of them if you want to play in tune.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Even horns from the same time period using some of the same parts have different intonation.

My main bass and my 42 play high F# and G in totally different places- much farther in on the bass.
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: Catastrophone on Jul 07, 2017, 10:40AMThe tuning tendencies across different horns can be wildly different. Not just due to different bell positions and, slide lengths, slide stay position etc. but the harmonics will line up differently.

My R9 and my Duo Gravis have fairly similar tendencies in and above the staff, but are very different across the valves. My 72H is different entirely. Much less in tune with itself, different bell position, longer slide. This always requires a bit of preparation when I need to play it. When I have to play my 88H I always have to remember just how unbelievably sharp the F above the staff is (among a few other notes) or I get caught out. My 48H has the slide stay further along the slide than the other instruments which has the same effect you noticed with your trombones.

Long story short, if you play lots of horns you need to put time into all of them if you want to play in tune.

Yes to this, and you get used to thinking of the tendencies of horn you are actually playing, as you said. You think of certain notes on the particular horn that stands out. Hopefully it is the tendencies you think of like "this partial has a sharp tendency on this horn up to the bell and then it lines up better"  Such things is what helped me, and Yes! Be in tune is the difficult part with switching, it takes time to know ALL your horns that well.

/Tom
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

On my Edwards, If my Bb is tuned with a tuner (which I do slightly off the bumper) my D4 (first position) is around 20 cents sharp. The high D is close to in tune (shap if anything). The G4 in 2nd is a real 2nd, not a sharp 2nd.

On my YSL354 I just bought, it's about 15 cents flat, and the G4 is a VERY short 2nd... that took some getting used to

ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Well Bill it sounds like you should have kept the YSL-354!
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Maybe Lee, but not for the reasons herein.  I'll get used to the XO 1632 over time. Image
ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Just pulling your leg Bill. See you Wednesday.
ttf_leec

Post by ttf_leec »

Just pulling your leg Bill. See you Wednesday.

Return to “Instruments”