ITF report

ttf_Burgerbob

ITF report

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I played the DeCarbo .547. Not good.
ttf_klimchak

ITF report

Post by ttf_klimchak »

Butler trombones are carbon fiber and made in Texas by David Butler. Modeled after a 6H.  Not dacarbo parts
ttf_JohnL

ITF report

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: klimchak on Jul 06, 2017, 10:25AMButler trombones are carbon fiber and made in Texas by David Butler. Modeled after a 6H.  Not dacarbo partsDon't remember seeing anything that looked like a Butler there. They're pretty distinctive.

To digress from the hardware side of the discussion...

Since I spent most of my time with my own display, I really couldn't attend too many of the presentations or performances. I did get to hear three of the evening concerts. Lots of top-drawer playing, of course. The Friday concerto concert (with full orchestra) was off-campus at the Redlands Bowl, a 1930's open-air amphitheater. Here's the lineup:

QuoteBallade; Eric Ewazen
Brandt Attema, bass trombone
Astrid Haring, harp

Concerto; Nino Rota
Ian Bousfield, trombone

Five Hallucinations; Carl Vine
Michael Mulcahy, trombone

The Carnival of Venice; J. B. Arban
James Markey, bass trombone

76 Trombones; Wilson, arr. Crees
It was part of their regular summer concert series, so I'm afraid the "townies" that made up most of the crowd (a few thousand) didn't really know what to make of some of the music, particularly Five Hallucinations.  Of course, they loved Carnival of Venice.

Also got to hear Jeff Reynolds' "Doubling on Contrabass Trombone" presentation. It was really more of a performance/demonstration, with five contras:
Jeff Reynolds; Minick G
Steve Trapani; Thein F
Brandt Attema; Thein F
Phil Keen; Voigt F
Ben Hansson (octaveposuane on the forum); Brad Close BBb
They christened the group "Contraband"; I think I have the lineup correct.

Benn found out on Thursday (IIRC) that he was going to be playing for this on Saturday; he spent several hours in my display area getting to know the horn and the music. It is a massive beast of a horn; a double-slide BBb with dependent valves in FF and DD.
ttf_Slipmo

ITF report

Post by ttf_Slipmo »

Phil Keen plays a Leuchter F contra FYI
ttf_klimchak

ITF report

Post by ttf_klimchak »

Butler trombones were at the giddings mouthpiece booth. David Jackson was doing double-duty representing both.
ttf_Burgerbob

ITF report

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

RE: concerts and recitals:

Brandt Attema played a set with his wife, a harpist. This was the first thing I saw. Wow. I was completely blown away by the blend between the two and his command of bass and contra. So musical!!

I left that early to catch Mick Mulcahy in recital. Due to the hall, it was not as attention grabbing and I don't remember much of it.

The Northwestern choir (the winner of the choir contest) was amazing. Some of the best tenor and alto playing I have ever heard.

However, the Columbus State choir blew me away in every way. In the top tier of ensemble playing and sound I have ever heard. Bass trombones were the best of any choir I heard at the conference. Wow.

Ian Bousfield's recital was captivating. Amazing playing and programming.

The programming was probably the biggest issue I had with most of the recitals and concerts. I expect to be "tromboned out" at a certain point, but I found myself losing focus in many recitals as he same sort of piece was played over and over again (Schubert lieder, modern tonal works, etc). Megumi Kanda played very very well, but played much of the same rep in her recital, for instance.

ttf_Burgerbob

ITF report

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

RE: concerts and recitals:

Brandt Attema played a set with his wife, a harpist. This was the first thing I saw. Wow. I was completely blown away by the blend between the two and his command of bass and contra. So musical!!

I left that early to catch Mick Mulcahy in recital. Due to the hall, it was not as attention grabbing and I don't remember much of it.

The Northwestern choir (the winner of the choir contest) was amazing. Some of the best tenor and alto playing I have ever heard.

However, the Columbus State choir blew me away in every way. In the top tier of ensemble playing and sound I have ever heard. Bass trombones were the best of any choir I heard at the conference. Wow.

Ian Bousfield's recital was captivating. Amazing playing and programming.

The programming was probably the biggest issue I had with most of the recitals and concerts. I expect to be "tromboned out" at a certain point, but I found myself losing focus in many recitals as he same sort of piece was played over and over again (Schubert lieder, modern tonal works, etc). Megumi Kanda played very very well, but played much of the same rep in her recital, for instance.

Return to “Instruments”