Cutting a rath R9d

ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Hi,

Instrument plays a bit flat (I use a doug elliott with a 1 1/4 type cup), tuning slide is in all the way. Were to cut to bring it up to pitch? There is a brace very close to the smaller side of the main tuning slide, leaving not much room to cut without moving the bracing (i d rather not do that).

Any tips, tricks?

Dont know if it matters but it is an older one (sn: r9-24x).

ttf_BillO

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BoneyW on Jun 18, 2017, 02:33PMAny tips, tricks?

Yes, bring it to an experienced tech.  It's not just a simple matter of cutting.  A good tech will know what to do.  In all likelihood braces, ferules and receivers will have to be removed, the correct tubing cut, then all carefully re-assembled.
ttf_Sliphorn

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Extremely surprising to hear that an R9 is playing sharp.  I assume this is not a problem with you other horns?
ttf_blast

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Jun 18, 2017, 07:04PMExtremely surprising to hear that an R9 is playing sharp.  I assume this is not a problem with you other horns?

He said flat not sharp  Image
Mick did make shorter tuning slides for me for my first Raths, so shortened tuning slides do not affect the playing qualities of the R9, but as has been said, modification will not be too simple.

Chris Stearn
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Quote from: blast on Jun 19, 2017, 12:41AMHe said flat not sharp  Image
Mick did make shorter tuning slides for me for my first Raths, so shortened tuning slides do not affect the playing qualities of the R9, but as has been said, modification will not be too simple.

Chris Stearn

Thanks! I am thinking the best place is the last cylindrical tube part near the bend (where the r is soldered). But that would mean losing the R...
ttf_Sliphorn

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Whoops...I meant flat.
ttf_Lawrie

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

I know it might be a little more expensive, but this is a modular horn...  Why cut it and make it unable to be fitted with other parts from the modular options available?

Rather, I'd approach Rath and get a shorter tuning slide made.  This will keep the modularity effective.

ttf_wgwbassbone

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Doesn't a shorter tuning slide mean changing the curvature of the tuning slide crook? Chris would know better that I but I would think, leaving the modular issue aside for the moment, cutting the tuning slide receiver tubes and the the legs of the actual tuning slide would be the way to go. Many folks had their tuning slides cut on Bachs years ago buy altering the actual tuning slide itself and there were issues with pitch.
ttf_daveyboy37

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Have you tried contacting Rath directly regarding this? Maybe they have some other suggestions, like a different leadpipe.
ttf_elmsandr

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Another often mentioned method (depending on construction) is to slightly shorten the handslide.  The outers on most makes are often 1/2" or more longer than the inners.  Sometimes a bit can be trimmed off before the crook with minimal effort (though still basically a slide rebuild).

I would contact Rath before you make any permanent cuts, they may have a better idea of what is going on.  Maybe the slide(s) you have are intentionally long?

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Thanks all. I have contacted Rath now, we ll see. This one is build solid (older one).

There is not much room to cut the handslide, so thats not an option. Actually to most easy thing to do (did it on a tenor with great succes).

I do not see how the leadpipe could lower the pitch...

Maybe Rath can build a schorter tuning slide...
ttf_blast

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: BoneyW on Jun 19, 2017, 10:57AMThanks all. I have contacted Rath now, we ll see. This one is build solid (older one).

There is not much room to cut the handslide, so thats not an option. Actually to most easy thing to do (did it on a tenor with great succes).

I do not see how the leadpipe could lower the pitch...

Maybe Rath can build a schorter tuning slide...

You need to reduce the length of the two inner and two outer main tuning slide tubes. 240 on build should not be solid... that changed earlier.... the dependent option was not on early instruments either. Could be a special order solid build ?

Chris Stearn
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Quote from: blast on Jun 19, 2017, 11:11AMYou need to reduce the length of the two inner and two outer main tuning slide tubes. 240 on build should not be solid... that changed earlier.... the dependent option was not on early instruments either. Could be a special order solid build ?

Chris Stearn

Thanks! It was indeed special order (all yellow, solid)
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Quote from: BoneyW on Jun 19, 2017, 01:21PMThanks! It was indeed special order (all yellow, solid)

Rath says exactly the same, cut the ts legs. @chris: did you bother to keep the rings at the end of the outer legs??
ttf_blast

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_blast »

Mine were done at the factory so the ring was retained by cutting the other end, having first disassembled the parts.

Chris Stearn
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Update:

Just had the handslide shortenend. Agreed with the tech that it was easier to do. Rath advised both options btw (for me to choose which option). 1 cm was cut. Much better Image
ttf_BillO

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BillO »

Did the have to cut the inner tubes?

If they did, do you still have a usable 7th?

Of course, you probably don't use 7th much with an R9.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: BoneyW on Jul 12, 2017, 02:29PMUpdate:

Just had the handslide shortenend. Agreed with the tech that it was easier to do. Rath advised both options btw (for me to choose which option). 1 cm was cut. Much better Image

Just curious how was cutting and reassembling the hand slide easier than cutting a tuning slide?
ttf_elmsandr

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Jul 13, 2017, 07:04AMJust curious how was cutting and reassembling the hand slide easier than cutting a tuning slide?
If you only have to cut 2 tubes instead of four, it isn't too bad.  Just take off the crook, trim, put it back on and make sure you don't screw up the alignment.

I screw that up, but I have seen a couple of slide guys do this really well and really quick.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

I had to have this done on an early R9DTIS. Not a big deal and the horn played great after the handslide was cut down.
ttf_Catastrophone

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I also had to have an early R9 shortened (#27). I think the early horns had a tendency to be flat with larger mouthpieces.

I believe much of the development was done by a player using a 2G which may have had something to do with this.
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Quote from: elmsandr on Jul 13, 2017, 08:53AMIf you only have to cut 2 tubes instead of four, it isn't too bad.  Just take off the crook, trim, put it back on and make sure you don't screw up the alignment.

I screw that up, but I have seen a couple of slide guys do this really well and really quick.

Cheers,
Andy

Yup, very easy. Slides were very straight said the repairman, no wear on the inside of the outer tubes at all
ttf_BoneyW

Cutting a rath R9d

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Quote from: elmsandr on Jul 13, 2017, 08:53AMIf you only have to cut 2 tubes instead of four, it isn't too bad.  Just take off the crook, trim, put it back on and make sure you don't screw up the alignment.

Cheers,
Andy

Yup, very easy. Slides were very straight said the repairman, no wear on the inside of the outer tubes at all

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”