Unboxing the wessex tenor trombone stand

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I just received my Wessex stand, I will post some pics later on.

What stroke me, is that it was much lighter than it looks. Generally I am pleased with that thing, but it seems to me, that if the palm (I don't know if this is the correct english term, I mean the small platform on which the bell is resting) was stationery/fixed instead of the spring thing it may be a good thing to change in the future.

I am a beginning  user of trombone stands, so I maybe wrong. If I need to know anything before I start to use the thing/warnings, feel free to chime in.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I like the spring device. Put a sock around it.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jun 15, 2017, 09:18AMI like the spring device. Put a sock around it.

These work great on all of my trombone stands.  Better than a sock shaped for a foot. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bone-Sock-Trombone-Stands/dp/B003VYBD4E

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Here come the photos:

The sticky tape was the strongest ever. I didn't have a knife on me and trying to cut it with a key was a real pain  Image

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I like it.  Your "King Silver Sonic" looks nice on it (man, that looks like a Bach copy).

Does it work as a standing trumpet stand also?
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 15, 2017, 01:51PMI like it.  Your "King Silver Sonic" looks nice on it (man, that looks like a Bach copy).

Does it work as a standing trumpet stand also?

Well, I would say that it sounds quite more like a Bach than a King. I guess that it could work like standing trumpet stand, but I would never will - for me the tbone is a complimentary instrument and I will always have the trumpet at the gig as well (I would rather go without a tbone on some)
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 15, 2017, 01:51PMDoes it work as a standing trumpet stand also?I tried. It works, but one have to adjust to rod in order not get blocked in the bell. But definitely needs a sock or something.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It looks like the Hamilton Bone Sock will work.  Here in the States we have something called a "tube sock" which is not shaped for a foot.  That would probably work as well.

I asked because in many of the Big Bands I play with the trumpets stand the whole gig.  A trumpet stand set up for a seated player leaves the instrument way too low to grab.  Or you could use it for the Flugel to swap off with trumpet.

I'm waiting for a box to come to Matt K.  He's going to send one here and it will cost a few dollars less than it would to have one shipped directly from Wessex.  Shipping in bulk from England to the US is less expensive per piece.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

The ideal accessory in my case would be a standing triple stand that can hold a tenor trombone, trumpet and a flugelhorn...never seen such a beast, though. Converting a trombone stand to a real standing trumpet stand is not a big deal, you just need a second rod with a trumpet base. BG surely got a valid point about standing big band trumpet sections. In a sitting orchestra that's not really an issue.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

That stand will probably accommodate your flugel nicely. My buddy Floyd used to use my trombone stand as his Flugel stand during shows (sneaky bastard.)
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Quote from: Posaunus on Jun 15, 2017, 10:09AMThese work great on all of my trombone stands.  Better than a sock shaped for a foot. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bone-Sock-Trombone-Stands/dp/B003VYBD4E

Wow, there really is a niche market for everything! TIL there's something else I want to buy.  Image Image Image
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

I thought we were obligated by tradition, if not law, to use crown royal bags on stands?
(I don't use any on gigs anymore, just too lazy and the rubber on the K&M stands is fine).

Also, I hate those spring features, I'd take that off if it were mine, but they work just fine most of the time.  My issue is that it is one piece that moves that doesn't need to and provides no useful function.  With what I paid for the horn, I don't need that spring to give me feedback on being careful placing the horn, and it doesn't do anything useful to help me pick it up. So, I'd rather just omit unnecessary parts.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: elmsandr on Jun 16, 2017, 06:58AM My issue is that it is one piece that moves that doesn't need to and provides no useful function.  With what I paid for the horn, I don't need that spring to give me feedback on being careful placing the horn, and it doesn't do anything useful to help me pick it up. So, I'd rather just omit unnecessary parts.

Cheers,
Andy

+1. Absolutely the way I feel about. Sounds like something I'm about to do....
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: bonenick on Jun 16, 2017, 07:24AM+1. Absolutely the way I feel about. Sounds like something I'm about to do....

I actually did take the spring off of my first trombone stand (a cheap On Stage one) and simply drilled a hole into the stand and screwed the thingy that the trombone sits on (what you call a palm) into the stand, and I like it a lot better because of it. 
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: bonenick on Jun 16, 2017, 07:24AM+1. Absolutely the way I feel about. Sounds like something I'm about to do....

I actually did take the spring off of my first trombone stand (a cheap On Stage one) and simply drilled a hole into the stand and screwed the thingy that the trombone sits on (what you call a palm) into the stand, and I like it a lot better because of it. 

Return to “Accessories”