Help Identifying Conn 88H Year of Manufacture

ttf_TromboneTube

Post by ttf_TromboneTube »

Hi, I need help identifying this 88H.  I have owned numerous Conn 88H's but I can't find the year of manufacture for this one.

The serial is on the Trigger Brace and is 5 (with a space) 765234   There is also two serials on the slide. J 0677

Your help finding the age of this horn is appreciated.  The bell appears to have much more "red" "copper" than any 88H I have owned...

ttf_jackbird

Post by ttf_jackbird »

The year usually comes from adding 50 to the first two numbers of the serial, for this era horn. From the engraving, stamping placement, valve lever and cover, this is a Gen II. 2007 sounds about right. If orange lacquer was used, it might be earlier, but then the engraving might be Abilene style. Orange lacquer was I think 80s or 90s.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

A Gen II horn from the 2000's.
ttf_TBigdaddy

Post by ttf_TBigdaddy »

Prefix "5" means that horn is from 2000 or a little later. My 88HCL from about 2007-2008 hasn't this prefix, so I think that Conn has stopped use it earlier.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

The "serial numbers" on the slide are production numbers so they can match the two parts of the slide to eachother when they get separated. Many makers us a similar system so that all the parts of a horn can be kept together.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

The "serial numbers" on the slide are production numbers so they can match the two parts of the slide to eachother when they get separated. Many makers us a similar system so that all the parts of a horn can be kept together.

Return to “Instruments”