BNAD Wind Ensemble GoFundMe (moved)

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi guys, I am the founder and music director (it's a fun title, doesn't mean a whole lot) of a fledgling wind ensemble at my church called BNAD. Most of us are students, and as such we don't have a ton of resources, so we started a GoFundMe to raise money to pay for music and clinicians. We want this to be a musically and educationally enriching event for both the community (audience), and the musicians involved.

Here's the link to our GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/bnadwe
And our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BNADwe/

I sincerely hope this is not out of place, feel free to kick me or the post if it is.

Thank you!

ttf_dougm

Post by ttf_dougm »

I imagine there are opportunities for you and your fellow students to find people in your neighborhood/community who need their grass cut, their flower beds weeded, perhaps their garden weeded, etc.  If their are older students perhaps they can wash windows, trim bushes and more for neighbors, relatives and friends.  Charge a nominal fee for this work.  Earning money for your activity will result in more interest from the members of the group.

Give it a try and see.

Doug
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

No disrespect to the OP, but it seems like Gofundme has become a replacement for doing actual fund raising for many people and groups. There was a college student on a local musicians group that recently started a gofundme to get people to buy him a $15K cello. I don't think he got any takers.

When starting a band, you can often borrow music and percussion equipment and so forth. The most important thing you need is people.
ttf_The Last Trombone

Post by ttf_The Last Trombone »

Hi all. First, no offense taken! I understand that the GoFundMe isn't the "optimal" means of fundraising, especially since a large majority of you are not affected by this! Thanks for your input!

We now have a flyer for doing yard work, construction, odd jobs, etc. in exchange for funding. We also are getting in touch with local businesses, seeing if they can run an event that donates a small cut of the proceeds to our cause, as well as seeing if we can set up a few gigs. We're also entertaining the idea of a Yankee Candle drive. And this is actually thanks to you. Being a young and I guess stupid I hadn't really thought of the human interaction part, but you are right.

As far as people (if you're talking about members), we have about 40, so no shortage there. The issue, and reason we thought of buying our own music, is because the band director at my school refused to allow me to borrow any music, saying it's a performance rights issue, which I understand. I hope this isn't seen as just a random person trying to get other people to buy him crap, it's meant to be a good (and rigorous) musical and educational experience for the students in my area.

Thanks!

Spencer
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If you really want to challenge your members, go to BandMusicPDF.org and download some of the classical transcriptions.  Since all the music is Public Domain you don't need to worry about licensing.

Warning: your horn players need to be able to read Eb parts.  Your piccolo player may encounter a Db piccolo part which can be very confusing unless you happen to own one of them.  Finally, there are often no full scores.  Your conductor will have to conduct from a Solo Cornet part.  Of course if you want to create a full score, that's an interesting musical challenge.

Good luck.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If you really want to challenge your members, go to BandMusicPDF.org and download some of the classical transcriptions.  Since all the music is Public Domain you don't need to worry about licensing.

Warning: your horn players need to be able to read Eb parts.  Your piccolo player may encounter a Db piccolo part which can be very confusing unless you happen to own one of them.  Finally, there are often no full scores.  Your conductor will have to conduct from a Solo Cornet part.  Of course if you want to create a full score, that's an interesting musical challenge.

Good luck.

Return to “Performance”