Neotech grip vs Yamaha strap

Bach5G

Neotech grip vs Yamaha strap

Post by Bach5G »

I left my Get a Grip somewhere so I am weighing replacing it with a Yam strap or a Neotech grip.

Pros and cons?
Burgerbob

Re: Neotech grip vs Yamaha strap

Post by Burgerbob »

What's the horn? I use a strap on one horn and a Neotech on another.

Also, the leather specialties strap is miles better than the Yamaha.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Yam bass trb primarily.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't find the Neotech to work especially well on bass trombone because of the 2nd valve. I use mine on a small bore straight tenor.

Right now I use straps on my basses, which work great.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I generally prefer the Getagrip because it's removable, but it doesn't fit every horn and you have to be willing to adjust it. I use my Getagrip even with an ergobone. The lengths we go to to make our horns usable.

I have a Neotech on one bass, but it requires some adjustment as well, and it pushes your hand away from the second valve lever. Plus, the slide may not fit in the case with it mounted. Neotech was cheap, though, and comes with 3 brackets to fit different cork barrel styles.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The GAG worked well enough on my tenors but not so well on the bass. In any event, I’ve lost it.

I ordered the Yam strap. A bit cheaper and it’s supposed to fit everything.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 pm What's the horn? I use a strap on one horn and a Neotech on another.

Also, the leather specialties strap is miles better than the Yamaha.
Would you mind elaborating some on this; I did not know Leather Specialties made a strap. I just looked on their site and saw a few sizes; is that based on hand size or on the horn size (slide width)? At $20 I might get one to try out. Also why would a bass one not fit tenors?
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I think a smaller one for a narrow slide might be good for a small horn. As for all the different sizes, I'm confused as well, because the largest is still not quite as long as the Yamaha strap. I bought the large bass version.

Here's how I use them:

Here's how I think most people assume they are to be used:

It ends up being the same length, so not sure why the sizes are different. I should point out that I do not have large hands.

Here's the Yamaha:

You can see it fits differently. It's also not real leather and is not nearly as comfortable.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Very useful. Thanks.

Schmitt Music has a couple of YouTube videos demonstrating the Yamaha strap and the Neotech for those who are interested.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

There is also the Clebsch Strap. Leather and well-made.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

greenbean wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:20 pm There is also the Clebsch Strap. Leather and well-made.
I thought those were long gone. That was my first strap, used it until it disintegrated. When I looked for a replacement the only option was Yamaha.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 am I think a smaller one for a narrow slide might be good for a small horn. As for all the different sizes, I'm confused as well, because the largest is still not quite as long as the Yamaha strap. I bought the large bass version.

Here's how I use them:

Here's how I think most people assume they are to be used:

It ends up being the same length, so not sure why the sizes are different. I should point out that I do not have large hands.

Here's the Yamaha:

You can see it fits differently. It's also not real leather and is not nearly as comfortable.
Thanks for that! Maybe I'll order a bass medium to use on bass and or tenor(?)
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The bass large works on wide slides for me, my A47 is as wide as my Shires dual bore so it fits the same.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
greenbean wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:20 pm There is also the Clebsch Strap. Leather and well-made.
I thought those were long gone. That was my first strap, used it until it disintegrated. When I looked for a replacement the only option was Yamaha.
I just picked one up. $30 included shipping.

http://clebschstrap.com
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

That looks pretty slick. I’d like to see a photo of it on a trombone though.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 pm That looks pretty slick. I’d like to see a photo of it on a trombone though.
They're the same as the Yamaha and leather specialties. The picture on the site is the horn strap.
GMB

Post by GMB »

Does anyone know where to get the Yamaha or Leather Specialties straps in Europe?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I bet Dillon’s will ship to Europe. Otherwise, Phil Parker’s in London (in Europe for a few more months)?
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

greenbean wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:37 pm I just picked one up. $30 included shipping.

How exactly does the bone strap work? I have a few horn friends with the horn strap. Does it work the same as the leather specialities and yamaha strap?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

mrdeacon wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:59 pm
greenbean wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:37 pm I just picked one up. $30 included shipping.

How exactly does the bone strap work? I have a few horn friends with the horn strap. Does it work the same as the leather specialities and yamaha strap?
Yup, it's the same.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I solved most of the issues I had with my Rath grip by wearing one of my bike gloves on my left hand.

I am surprised at the difference it made. Not surprisingly being able to concentrate without being distracted by left hand/wrist pain helps a lot.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

greenbean wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:37 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I just picked one up. $30 included shipping.

Thanks for the link! They list two for trombone, but do not give descriptions. Which do I want for a 72H bass bone? The first one, or the second one?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Here's one of the Neotech adapters on a 72h.

Here's the get a grip on a 72h.

greenbean

Post by greenbean »

bigbandbone wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 am Thanks for the link! They list two for trombone, but do not give descriptions. Which do I want for a 72H bass bone? The first one, or the second one?
I only saw one trombone strap when I ordered mine. I can say that it is quite large. A bit larger than I need it to be, actually.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I use the Neotech product on my XO, and Holton Bass trombones. One of my students used it on his Mack Brass bass trombone.

I started using the Yamaha strap, and while it worked well, I found it was not easy getting it off and on my hand while doing commercial work - using a plunger, or doubling on tenor bone and doing a quick horn change. The Neotech is far easier to use.

The Get a grip never worked well for my hand at all.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

+1 for Neogrip

I just got a XO bass and my Neogrip works great. I had been using it on a 88H so I was used to it. Takes some adjustments for the grip and the triggers. Lots of adjustments are available on the Neogrip. I have tried a Bullet Brace, but that was a pain to get even close to feeling comfortable and then it would not fit in the case without removing it.
Steve
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

First I got a Neo Grip for my 72H. Couldn't use it. It was in the way of 1st position. Just didn't like it.
Then I got the Yamaha Strap. "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"! It works great for me! Played a 4 hour job last night and my hand didn't crap up!
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I made my own Clebsch-like strap with some scrap leather. Maybe the length wasn’t right because my attempt didn’t solve my issues. I’ll never look back from the Get a Grip. I tried a Rath brace and I always wanted a K&H or a Hagmann brave because they’re gorgeous, but I couldn’t match the comfort of the Get a Grip so that’s where I’m at. I only use it with one horn/set up. It won’t fit on my other slide I use on bass and I don’t want to get another one yet
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The biggest problem with the GAG is leaving it behind. I’ve left it behind a second time and this time I don’t think I’m getting it back.

It gives me the chance to try the Yamaha strap. Frankly, this device works remarkably well. I think the strap cost about $12 or so. It would be nice if it came in a slightly softer leather but that’s my only quibble. Someone said it distorted the upper tube but I can’t see it.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Rath grip for sale if anyone is interested.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:28 pm The biggest problem with the GAG is leaving it behind. I’ve left it behind a second time and this time I don’t think I’m getting it back.

It gives me the chance to try the Yamaha strap. Frankly, this device works remarkably well. I think the strap cost about $12 or so. It would be nice if it came in a slightly softer leather but that’s my only quibble. Someone said it distorted the upper tube but I can’t see it.
As it ages, the strap gets softer. It also stretches out so it may need to be replaced just as it is getting comfortable.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

When I realized that I was just not made to hold my Yamaha 620 (F-attachment) with any degree of comfort, I went on a trombone grip safari. I ordered the Yamaha strap, the Get-a-Grip, and the Neo-Tech. They all can work, but the Neo-Tech, for me, was by far the best of the lot (and the Get-a-Grip was the dodgiest). The Neo-Tech has served me very well now for about a year and I never play that horn without it.

But, the Neo-Tech has to fit you and your horn, and there may be no way to find out other than by ordering it and giving it a try (it works for many but not all). The Neo-Tech does have about a dozen(?) or so different adjustment slots you can use to change the positioning, but out of that dozen(?) or so positionings, only one worked for me (a couple others would have worked... if I had gotten either another trigger or another thumb).

As I knew I would only be using the one positioning option, I glued the adjustment interface into a solid bond to reduce any stress and possible flex with the screw-held joining. I have no idea if that helps or not in that regard, but it's done now and sure hasn't hurt.
Last edited by PaulT on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I did try the Get-a-Grip with my small tenor, a Yamaha 897, and it worked fine with that horn... I just didn't need or want to use it with that horn.

My current instructor was interested in my Neo-Tech as she has been considering getting a holder or grip thing for her horn. But, she has heard the Neo-Tech didn't fit well on the Bach 42. I have no idea if that is true or not. I would have let her try my Neo-Tech and see for herself... but for the the gluing it into one position thing.

I didn't see anything about her horn that looked like it would be an issue with NeoTech. Bach people? Any issue with fitting the NeoTech on a Bach 42 (or any other number)? It does seem suspiciously odd that it wouldn't be designed to work on one of the most commonly found horn designs in trombone history (so my guess would be that it does). Should I tell her to go ahead and order one?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I didn't find the Neotech to work especially well on my 36B. Just couldn't find a good spot for it. 42 would be a bit different with a wider slide, of course.

I use a Yamaha strap on my 42.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I screwed up the phrasing when I first posted the below [now edited]
PaulT wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 pm ..., the Neo-Tech has to fit you and your horn, and there may be no way to find out other than by ordering one and giving it a try (as it works for many but not all). The Neo-Tech does have about a dozen(?) or so different adjustment slots you can use to change the positioning, but out of that dozen(?) or so positionings, only one worked for me...

(a couple other positionings would have worked... if I had gotten either another trigger or a different thumb).

Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I now have both a Clebsch and a Yamaha strap. The Clebsch might be a little softer but not by much. Slightly higher quality, but twice the cost.

Both work well. Frankly, I’m surprised not to see more people using them, especially on bass and large tenor trombones.

So, on a cost basis, the straps do a fine job. The GAG works well, can be easy to use but can be a little fussy to fit, especially with double trigger bass trombones. Still reasonably priced.

The Rath brace was good, but a little uncomfortable on your left hand and certainly not case friendly. And expensive.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I love the Neotech. I have yet to find a horn that I don't like it on, including altos. But it does take some tweaking. I don't have the worlds biggest hands though so ymmv
btone

Post by btone »

I really like the Neotech. Helps take weight off your fingers and relieves stress in your grip. It's great on a Bach slide,especially traditional wrap, like the 50B. Had to modify my 42af trigger paddle to reach it more easily.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:07 pm The bass large works on wide slides for me, my A47 is as wide as my Shires dual bore so it fits the same.
Bringing this thread back to life: do you or anyone else know what size is best for a narrow, 88h style slide?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tombone21 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:07 pm The bass large works on wide slides for me, my A47 is as wide as my Shires dual bore so it fits the same.
Bringing this thread back to life: do you or anyone else know what size is best for a narrow, 88h style slide?
Medium, maybe? I still don't know what size mine is :pant: but the cool thing is, if it's too large, it'll still work. Better than too small IMO.

Return to “Accessories”