Slide cleaning

WGWTR180

Slide cleaning

Post by WGWTR180 »

Anyone ever used OxiClean to clean their playing slide? Pros. Cons.
tbonesullivan

Re: Slide cleaning

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oxyclean creates Hydrogen Peroxide when in water, which is part of what helps it clean. I found a study looking at the effect concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide on the rate of brass de-zincification, or red rot.

If Hydrogen Peroxide causes red rot, you definitely do NOT want it anywhere near your slide. I would stick to dish soap or cleaners designed for cleaning slides.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

If you need something that strong to clean your slide, you have bigger issues!!

Cool to lukewarm water & dish soap should be all you need!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Bonearzt wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 am If you need something that strong to clean your slide, you have bigger issues!!

Well I personally don't have bigger issues. I purchased a horn that's been sitting for quite awhile. The slide was gross now just not as clean as I'd like. I used a combination of warm water/white vinegar/a drop of dawn and soaked it twice. Was just curious about the use of Oxyclean. If needed I'll have if professionally cleaned. But thanks for the enthusiastic response!!!!!!!!!!! :good:
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Gotcha!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am Oxyclean creates Hydrogen Peroxide when in water, which is part of what helps it clean. I found a study looking at the effect concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide on the rate of brass de-zincification, or red rot.
If you're referring to the paper by Al Kharafi, Ghayad and Abdullah in the Journal of Material and Environmental Science, it should be noted that they were investigating dezincification of brass immersed in an electrolytic solution of acidified sodium sulfate solution, under free corrosion conditions, so their findings may not be directly pertinent to this use condition.
afugate

Post by afugate »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am
Bonearzt wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 am If you need something that strong to clean your slide, you have bigger issues!!

Well I personally don't have bigger issues. I purchased a horn that's been sitting for quite awhile. The slide was gross now just not as clean as I'd like. I used a combination of warm water/white vinegar/a drop of dawn and soaked it twice. Was just curious about the use of Oxyclean. If needed I'll have if professionally cleaned. But thanks for the enthusiastic response!!!!!!!!!!! :good:
I've purchased a fair number of beater horns of the years to clean up and donate to our local schools. Often the slides are just nasty - sometimes to the extreme. :horror:

I purchased some bulk Citric Acid to use as a cleaner. I keep some premixed in a jar under the sink. And when I encounter one of these slides, I fill the slide with the mix and then let it sit while I do a little work on the bell section. (Make sure the cork is good on the water key first... :x )

It's worked very well for this purpose. Of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary)

--Andy in OKC
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

afugate wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:08 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am

I've purchased a fair number of beater horns of the years to clean up and donate to our local schools. Often the slides are just nasty - sometimes to the extreme. :horror:

--Andy in OKC
I ran into something weird this weekend. My trigger linkage was clanking a bit, so I tightened everything down and got it working right, had a lesson this Sunday and didn't want that extra click. So I noticed the nail polish had worn off where it contacted my neck. (yeah this is a long story, sorry) Got my daughter's nail polish remover and some 2000 grit wet or dry, thought I'd redo that. Well, on the back there was a black crud, lots of it, that didn't come off with the remover and could only be scraped with a knife. It was the consistency maybe of a soft crayon or gum. I hadn't noticed it building up because it's on the back side. It's gone now but I have no idea what it was. It's not the direct skin contact area but it must come from the same source.

Return to “Maintenance”