Re-assemble spit valve that came off

StefanHaller

Re-assemble spit valve that came off

Post by StefanHaller »

The screw of the spit valve of my new Getzen trombone came off today. This happened before, last time I could just screw it back in, but this time the whole thing came off and I'm not sure how to put it back together. I think the two single ends of the spring somehow need to go the other side of axle, but I'm not sure how to get them there. I'm afraid I'm also very untalented when it comes to manual work.

Any hints? I would hope I don't have to take it to a technician to repair this...
IMG_2701.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonearzt

Re: Re-assemble spit valve that came off

Post by Bonearzt »

You need some thin hollow metal tubing to use as extensions for the free legs of the spring to comfortably wrap them around and be able to reinsert the screw.

Best bet is to have a tech install a new spring & NOT cut those legs so short!!! Makes it easier to reassemble if it does come off again.

This serves as a good reminder to ALL to check your horn regularly for loose screws!!!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

StefanHaller wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:53 amI'm afraid I'm also very untalented when it comes to manual work.
In that case, you might want to just get someone to do it for you. You are correct in thinking that the spring needs to be set; there are special little tools that make doing so easy. Trying to do it yourself with just your bare hands can get very frustrating (not to mention cutting your fingertips when the spring slips - again).

If you do decide to do it yourself, a third (and even fourth) hand can be helpful. Someone to slide the screw in while you manage the spring, water key, and slide.

Here's a video from Edwards on installing a new spring that might be helpful.

Unfortunately, your spring has already been trimmed, so working with it won't be as easy.

I tell young players to get in the habit of checking water key and linkage screws whenever they assemble their horn.
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it to the tech then. I guess I'll consider having them install a saturn key instead, while at it.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Take a couple of coffee strirrers/straws and stick them on the ends of those springs. Use the extension to turn them tighter and move them into position so you can get the screw in. Not hard, but will take patience and a few tries. Don’t put your thumb where it will get poked when the spring pops out of the straw. I actually use the rubber tips of my needle applicator valve oil bottles for this, but some other small tube will work.

Cheers,
Andy
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:08 pm Take a couple of coffee strirrers/straws and stick them on the ends of those springs. Use the extension to turn them tighter and move them into position so you can get the screw in. Not hard, but will take patience and a few tries. Don’t put your thumb where it will get poked when the spring pops out of the straw. I actually use the rubber tips of my needle applicator valve oil bottles for this, but some other small tube will work.
Cheers,
Andy
Nice idea Andy, but with these GetWards springs, they are usually cut too short & the plastic wouldn't be strong enough.
Eric Edwards

mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

If you have a tech close to you just have them do it. It's a pain in the a*$ to reset the spring and isn't worth the effort.

I've reset a couple for high school and middle school kids and always regretted it afterwards haha.

Andy did offer a good solution! I'll have to try that next time.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
tctb

Post by tctb »

I found the easiest way is to buy a new spring , with long ends putting the valve together is so much easier . The springs are cheap , I usually buy a few as spares.
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Lol, this is why springs come on packs of 100.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I did it myself on my Bach 42B, I think I have a thread here on it somewhere when I replaced the cork. It was tricky but doable.

That Getzen one looks much harder though.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

timothy42b wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:48 am I did it myself on my Bach 42B, I think I have a thread here on it somewhere when I replaced the cork. It was tricky but doable.

That Getzen one looks much harder though.
The only thing that makes the Getzen/Edwards more difficult is that they are cut too short from the factory to reinstall easily, if at all.
Otherwise same as all other w.key springs.

Eric
Eric Edwards

timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

On the earlier thread, someone described using a pin to hold the parts together before attempting to get the screw threaded.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

timothy42b wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:58 pm On the earlier thread, someone described using a pin to hold the parts together before attempting to get the screw threaded.
The problem is getting the spring legs in position to be able to get the screw in.
Eric Edwards

StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

I took it to the tech this morning, it was a three minute job (as expected, I guess). He put in a new spring.

He had never heard about Saturn keys though...
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

StefanHaller wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 am I took it to the tech this morning, it was a three minute job (as expected, I guess). He put in a new spring.

Saturn w.keys are great!!

http://www.deniswedgwood.com/saturn.htm

Eric
Eric Edwards

timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Bonearzt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 pm
timothy42b wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:58 pm On the earlier thread, someone described using a pin to hold the parts together before attempting to get the screw threaded.
The problem is getting the spring legs in position to be able to get the screw in.
I didn't have any trouble with that, but I did struggle a bit getting the screw lined up while holding everything else in place.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Bonearzt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am
StefanHaller wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 am I took it to the tech this morning, it was a three minute job (as expected, I guess). He put in a new spring.

Saturn w.keys are great!!

http://www.deniswedgwood.com/saturn.htm

Eric
I have Saturn water keys on my bass and my tenor. I like that they don’t snag on stuff, and they empty more quickly and quietly than Amado water keys. However...

I’ve noticed they tend to leak. Little water drops thrown right in front of the slide. While it’s fun to watch the violas wonder whether there’s a leak in the ceiling :twisted: , I wonder whether anyone else has this same issue and, if so, what have you done about it?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

You might want to get some Loc-Tite or even Nail Polish and use that on the threads at the end. It'll help keep it from working its way loose again.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Modification & Repair”