Thor Trombone Identification?

ThirdDJ

Thor Trombone Identification?

Post by ThirdDJ »

Admin, please move to appropriate thread if I put this in the wrong place, I apologize!

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum and if I've posted this in the wrong thread please forgive me. I am looking for help identifying my trombone.

I played t-bone all throughout high school and was briefly in the Marine Corps Band until life happened and I was forced to pursue other things. Because of that, I hadn't picked up a trombone in almost a decade and a half. A dear friend gifted me with a vintage trombone that I honestly know nothing about. If any of you have insight I'd be ecstatic to hear it!

The trombone I have is what I assume to be a "THOR" brand. Although I'm only basing that off of the "THOR" logo etched into the outer face of the bell. Here is what I know about the instrument so far:

- "THOR" etched into outer bell with a diamond shape surrounding it.
- Seems to be an almost all brass construction.
- I believe it is a Tenor Trombone (no valves, F-stop, or anything else that would leave me to believe otherwise)
- "T720" stamped into the crossbrace opposite the connection between bell and slide.
- "Made in USA" stamped in slide mechanism directly under connection between bell and slide.
- "7" stamped into outer slide on crossbrace handhold.
- another "7" stamped into crossbrace between mouthpeice and connection between slide and bell. (basically where the three fingers hold the instrument while playing.

Aside from that I have really no other information. I will enclose pics if allowed. ANY insight is massively appreciated as I've had no luck turning anything up on the interwebs. Thank you all so much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnL

Re: Thor Trombone Identification?

Post by JohnL »

It's what's called a stencil; the company that made it slapped some other name on, likely because they built if for some third party (e.g., a music store that wanted its own brand of instruments).

Since it says "Made in USA", that narrows the suspect list down quite a bit (used to be a lot of stencils came from Czechoslovakia, now they mostly come from China). E. K. Blessing made a lot of stencils back in the day, but so did Conn and several others. Probably a decent quality student horn
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

Thank you for the reply! Any idea whatsoever about the age of it? I really have no idea. Even the mouthpiece is a mystery. And is there a way to narrow down who may have made the horn even further? Thank you so much! Also any ideas what the "T720" marking would be? Serial? Model?
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Notice the engraved "A" above and below the "Thor" marking. I would say this was made for the Royal Asgard Trombone choir assembled for the birth of Thor. T720 is for trombone player number 720 of the 1000 member trombone choir.
Last edited by jthomas105 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

jthomas105 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:19 am Notice the engraved "A" above and below the "Thor" marking. I would say this was made for the Royal Asgard Trombone choir assembled for the birth of Thor. T720 is for trombone player number 720 of the 100 member trombone choir.
That's awesome lol! Although I'm inclined to doubt as the trombone seems to be able to get picked up by anybody. And I have to assume that not all are worthy to play in the Royal Asgardian trombone choir.
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

All trombone players are worthy!!!!!!
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

jthomas105 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:05 am All trombone players are worthy!!!!!!
Point well taken.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Official trombone of the Avengers.
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

Thought I should add a few photos of the horn if any of you are helping me dig. I noticed the hex key stock water valve and bell braces at the top. I know Getzen used that type of material in "The Duke" trombones back in the '50s, but in a different style. I'm at a loss guys and gals. Thanks for helping me out here!

NOTE: The Serial Number (I assume its the serial number) is "T720" the angle of the photo is tricky and can make the "T" look like a "1"

NOTE 2: The small marking above the connection from bell to slide is a "7". Perhaps the actual serial number? or just a production number?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ThirdDJ on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The hex stock braces are just like the Getzen I had as a kid. It was called "Deluxe" (which it wasn't). Mine was made in the 1950s. Sorry, no pictures.

This kind of brace can't be adjusted for any misalignment of any other parts and I'd expect there might be some pretty strong manufacturing stresses, even after all these years.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JoeStanko

Post by JoeStanko »

To the OP..in a couple of the first photos, what can be seen of the case to me says Getzen - can you add some photos of the case and also carefully look as there may be some information there.
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm The hex stock braces are just like the Getzen I had as a kid. It was called "Deluxe" (which it wasn't). Mine was made in the 1950s. Sorry, no pictures.

This kind of brace can't be adjusted for any misalignment of any other parts and I'd expect there might be some pretty strong manufacturing stresses, even after all these years.
Thank you for that! My thoughts are leaning toward Getzen for sure. I contacted the company (its half an hour from where I live) and they stated there was a fire that destroyed most records before 1960 so they wouldn't be able to help me figure it out. But seeming more and more that Getzen is most likely the manufacturer. Thanks for the insight!
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

JoeStanko wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 pm To the OP..in a couple of the first photos, what can be seen of the case to me says Getzen - can you add some photos of the case and also carefully look as there may be some information there.
Consider it done! Although, I have looked over every inch of the case and have found no identifying markings aside from the name scrawled on the top with marker.
ThirdDJ

Post by ThirdDJ »

As long as we are on the subject of this, I'll throw in a few pictures of the mouthpiece that came with the horn. Seems to be in decent shape. No identifying marks whatsoever. Looks like silver-plated brass? Any thoughts on that would be helpful as well. Thanks all!
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am Official trombone of the Avengers.
Is it the same one that Hawkeye plays?
NBischoff

Post by NBischoff »

Go for the head

Return to “Instruments”