Bill Prince

Discuss the people that make the music here.
SimmonsTrombone

Bill Prince

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Multi-instrumentalist Bill Prince has a book out - I suppose you'd call it a memoir - Music Is My Ticket. It covers his life growing up in Detroit, his time with the NORAD band, Pee Wee Hunt, Billy Maxted, etc., and then his time creating the jazz departments at Florida International University and the University of North Florida.
I've never met the man, but the book was interesting to me. Available on Amazon.
https://amzn.to/2RwRRCq
Doug Elliott

Re: Bill Prince

Post by Doug Elliott »

I know a guy who grew up with him in Detroit. He is definitely a legend. I'm ordering it, and some extras for gifts.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

I’ve heard him play and met him at UNF. When he was ready to unleash his genius, he made a funny gesture and then really let us have it. Killed it on piano with Rich Matteson. He’s the real deal.

Thanks for the heads up.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
timbone

Post by timbone »

I've known Bill for years and played a lot of gigs with him. He's a great writer also and has done a couple of big band albums with him playing everything except drumset and bass trombone. For bass trombone he substitutes bass clarinet! Apparently he was given the option to play ride trumpet or lead alto for Buddy Rich. He was also in the Sammy Spear orchestra which was the house band for the live Jackie Gleason show from Miami some of you may remember. he told me playing Jackies birthday parties were three day events!
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

He includes Gleason in the book. Great stories.

Return to “Musicians”