Stuck thayer valve(s)

pete

Stuck thayer valve(s)

Post by pete »

Hi,

I have a really nice Jupiter X0, double, independent trigger bass trombone with Thayer valves. I love the trombone but the valves are a PIA. The second trigger, in particular, is always sticking. I tried cleaning them myself for the first 6 months, but that only lasted for a month each time, and it would stick again (even when playing regularly). Then I took it to a qualified tech who did the ultrasound and other stuff, but the first time I was gone for more than a week - when I returned, it was stuck. I've tried to unstick it with force from my thumb, but I don't want to start tapping it with anything stronger. I've had two professional cleans so far, but the last one only worked for a month before it stuck. The cleans cost between $135 and $200, so I can't keep doing this.

The company now responsible for the X0 line weren't that helpful (their advice was to take it to a technician), so I'm wondering what I should do now? Some possibilities:

1. Sell it / trade it for another bass trombone (but I don't want to pass on the issue to someone else really).
2. Force the manufacturer to repair it properly (hopefully switching out the defective valves)
3. Have it rebuilt with standard rotary valves (but almost everything behind my head would probably need to be replaced).
4. Pull the first tube out enough and treat it as a single trigger instrument (this is what I'm doing at the moment, but I really don't like it).

Any thoughts about what to do? I love the sound of the instrument, so I would like to keep/fix it. Plus, I got it as a demo unit for a relatively great price ($2500), but that's still a huge investment.

Thanks, Pete
BGuttman

Re: Stuck thayer valve(s)

Post by BGuttman »

Axial valves are quite "fussy" and need frequent lubrication. On the Edwards site there is a video of how to clean and lube them.

They also need to be "calibratee", a service that requires a Tech who will adjust the bearings.

Watch the Edwards video and make sure you are doing what they say. If it still doesn't fix the problem you need to bring it to a Tech. At your expense.

I think your options are not realistic:

1. If you like the horn you may not like what you replace it with.
2. You can't force them to do anything; they own the Warranty and you may already have broken it.
3. Rebuilding it with any other valves will far exceed the cost of bringing it to a tech for an alignment.
4. This is a workaround and not a satisfactory option.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Replace them with Olsen axials :wink:
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

If you’ve cleaned them several times, then cleaning them again probably won’t solve the problem. You may have something else going on like a spindle that is bent, a dent in the casing, a burr left over from machining... who knows? Take it to a different tech who has experience working on a lot of different Thayer valves and knows about the different manufacturers of Thayer valves.

There are a few good repair techs here on TC like Eric Edwards (bonearzt). If you’re on the West Coast, there’s John Sandhagen, Benn Hansson, and many others.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
pete

Post by pete »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestions. As noted, I've had a respected tech clean/rebuild them twice, but it's a frequent problem. I also followed the Shire videos to the letter as well as another YT version that had a few differences.

Pete
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks for the suggestions - I've contacted the makres of the Olsen axials and, I'm not far from LA so that might be the next step...or combine the two and have one of these repair techs put in the Olsens, which have some great reviews. It'll depend on the cost...
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Not all techs can really get down to the nitty gritty on Thayers. You'd need an expert.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bassmike

Post by Bassmike »

There could be stress in the build or the bell section could have been put back together with a slight misalignment that would cause the valves to bind. If you are comfortable with taking the bell apart do so and then reassemble putting the tuning slide in before tightening the bell braces. In other words make sure that everything is lined up before you clamp down on the bell braces.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

This is almost impossible to diagnose over the internet.

I will say the following things:
-Thayers eat oil. May need to be oiled and moved daily to keep them happy.
-Thayers can be too tight, the fit may have to be opened up. I would not let but a few folks do this. Not hard, but easy to screw up.
-Thayers can be really susceptible to tiny tensions in the build of the horn. Something may be slightly out of alignment, maybe even just in how the horn is held in the case.

This is not uncommon for Thayers. They are finicky. This is one of the reasons that I think they are becoming less popular, they just require more effort than a rotor to maintain. My Bach rotor from 1942 requires less thought and effort than my 2006 Thayers.

Cheers,
Andy
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

Something else to consider--Not all axial valves are Thayers. I'm not sure what Jupiter was using, but it's possible that they're a Chinese-made knock-off. Sometimes the metals used in these knock-offs aren't right. I've had Chinese-made rotary valves that would seize every time they were out of use for more than three days. Are these actual Thayers? Most descriptions of the Jupiter XO describe it as having "Thru-Flow" valves, which I'm pretty sure are an unlicensed imitation of the Thayer.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The Patent on the Thayer valve expired years ago, so none of the axial valves being made today are/should/need to be licensed. Regardless of where they are made. FYI
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:57 am The Patent on the Thayer valve expired years ago, so none of the axial valves being made today are/should/need to be licensed. Regardless of where they are made. FYI
This
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:57 am The Patent on the Thayer valve expired years ago, so none of the axial valves being made today are/should/need to be licensed. Regardless of where they are made. FYI
I hadn't realized that. Still, I do think the problem may not be an issue with the particular valve on that horn, but with a run of valves used by Jupiter. On the horn that I had with a similar problem, there was no visible corrosion on the spindles, but it had to be disassembled, cleaned, and relubricated each time I used it.
CapnHal

Post by CapnHal »

I've had the same problem with a Thayer I had retrofitted on a Bach 42. I've had mine cleaned twice in 2 years, which maybe isn't that bad, but I'm afraid to use it on a gig for fear it will seize up. I've been advised that Thayers like water, you can take the tuning side off and run water through it with a garden hose, then dry it and oil. As noted earlier they like a lot of oil, so I oil it every time I play it, and haven't had any trouble for the past few months.
Hal
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

You could try another route: instead of oil, clean them, dry them and try Yamaha slide snot (silicone based water emulsion we use for trombone slides). I use it on yt tuba piston valves, because it lasts much longer than oil, and degrades slowly, such that I know when I have to re-apply before they stick. Works also like a charm on my Hagman tenor valve. And does not mess with the lubrication of my slide, if/when it runs down there.

Maybe you want to try that on a Thayer and report back?
BillyBonz

Post by BillyBonz »

Work with a Jupiter Dealer for warranty maintenance or replacement.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

pete wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am Hi,

I have a really nice Jupiter X0, double, independent trigger bass trombone with Thayer valves. I love the trombone but the valves are a PIA. The second trigger, in particular, is always sticking. I tried cleaning them myself for the first 6 months, but that only lasted for a month each time, and it would stick again (even when playing regularly). Then I took it to a qualified tech who did the ultrasound and other stuff, but the first time I was gone for more than a week - when I returned, it was stuck. I've tried to unstick it with force from my thumb, but I don't want to start tapping it with anything stronger. I've had two professional cleans so far, but the last one only worked for a month before it stuck. The cleans cost between $135 and $200, so I can't keep doing this.

The company now responsible for the X0 line weren't that helpful (their advice was to take it to a technician), so I'm wondering what I should do now? Some possibilities:

1. Sell it / trade it for another bass trombone (but I don't want to pass on the issue to someone else really).
2. Force the manufacturer to repair it properly (hopefully switching out the defective valves)
3. Have it rebuilt with standard rotary valves (but almost everything behind my head would probably need to be replaced).
4. Pull the first tube out enough and treat it as a single trigger instrument (this is what I'm doing at the moment, but I really don't like it).

Any thoughts about what to do? I love the sound of the instrument, so I would like to keep/fix it. Plus, I got it as a demo unit for a relatively great price ($2500), but that's still a huge investment.

Thanks, Pete
I actually owned one for a short while, and while the sound is definitely better than it should be at the price point, the build quality is not.

Try and find an oil that works (Hetmann 1?) and apply it daily. If you play that horn every day then just do it at the start or end of your practice every day.
Also when I bought the horn the valves were quite awful. I took apart the valves and cleaned them pretty thoroughly myself using a lot of oil and really wiping down the surface of the cores and the inside of the valves with an appropriate cloth. I found the places of contact were quite dirty, so after the initial clean a daily oiling helps keep the valve clean and prevents buildup.

Also I agree with the people saying take it to a tech that really knows axial valves; there are some on this forum you could try contacting.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I think Jupiter uses O.E. Thayer valves, or at least did at one point. They may use something made in house now. It's not like they are that complicated to make with a CNC set up, as long as you know what you are doing.

Sticking like that usually makes me think that stress somewhere in the bell section is causing one of the bearing plates to shift. Have you tried loosening or tightening the rings that hold the valves together?

Also as stated, THAYERS EAT OIL. They just do. There's no way around that. The design doesn't hold the oil in very well, so you've got to repeat it often.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I can't speak to the past, but the XO lineup uses the same thayers for both their tenors and their bases and have a bore of .571" so much undersized compared to OE Thayer (or oversized for tenors).
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I just worked on a newer "factory second" XO with a sticky (not quite as bad with the cap loosened, apparently...) Thayer-style valve and there seemed to be some lacquer over-spray inside the casing. I noticed it after its chemical cleaning when I was stabilizing things; it came off with some Dremel wire wheel time and worked better than when it was "new."
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

Regarding Axial Flow valves "drinking" valve oil, this is largely the result of using oil that is too thin. For many years I used Superslick valve oil on my valve and didn't have to oil it very often. Unfortunately, Superslick changed the oil (it's now labeled "Light Viscosity"). I'm currently trying to find a better oil for my valve. I cannot use any of the synthetic oils as they cause a yellow goo to form (a common problem with older instruments). I need to clean the valve first, then I'm going to try the Denis Wick valve oil. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Monster Bio Rotor Oil or the 5 Starr Red Zone oil.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

wayne88ny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:24 am Regarding Axial Flow valves "drinking" valve oil, this is largely the result of using oil that is too thin. For many years I used Superslick valve oil on my valve and didn't have to oil it very often. Unfortunately, Superslick changed the oil (it's now labeled "Light Viscosity"). I'm currently trying to find a better oil for my valve. I cannot use any of the synthetic oils as they cause a yellow goo to form (a common problem with older instruments). I need to clean the valve first, then I'm going to try the Denis Wick valve oil. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Monster Bio Rotor Oil or the 5 Starr Red Zone oil.
Ultra-Pure does not leave yellow goo.
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

It's my understanding synthetic oils have built in cleaning characteristics. I've gotten the yellow goo from both Hetman oils and Monster synthetic rotor oil. Perhaps Ultra Pure does not have this cleaning ability. Have you used it on older trombones?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

wayne88ny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 pm It's my understanding synthetic oils have built in cleaning characteristics. I've gotten the yellow goo from both Hetman oils and Monster synthetic rotor oil. Perhaps Ultra Pure does not have this cleaning ability. Have you used it on older trombones?
I have, but not on an Axial valve. It does not produce yellow goo on rotors.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

wayne88ny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 pm It's my understanding synthetic oils have built in cleaning characteristics. I've gotten the yellow goo from both Hetman oils and Monster synthetic rotor oil. Perhaps Ultra Pure does not have this cleaning ability. Have you used it on older trombones?
I use Ultra-Pure on everything with no issues.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I think the "cleaning" myth came from Hetman and I think it's not exactly true. My bottles of hetman have had yellow goo develop on the bottles themselves where the oil has never been in contact with brass.

But I have come to the realization that different oils are compatible with different people's body chemistry. What works well for you may not work for me. Ultra pure doesn't work for me at all and a lot of people like it. I've had really good luck with Resilience oil.

But I totally agree that the original poster should do a good cleaning and then try a few different brands of oil and see if that helps.

If this instrument has an aluminum core valve and the coating on the core has worn, it's never going to not have problems though.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I think many people assume that axials are perfectly fit from the factory or that the after-market kits are also perfectly fit. I have seen many axials in which the plate was too tight against the spinning valve, even when the threaded ring was not fully tightened. If it is too tight, it doesn’t matter how much lube you put in there……it just won’t operate properly.

The rule I use is…..the valve must be able rotate perfectly without any lubricant. Sometimes just the slightest bit of lapping is needed on the plate/flat side of valve point of friction. I always do the lapping in very small doses… just to the point where the valve works well when it is clean and dry. I do it in very small doses because I don’t want to prematurely start the “wear” on the valve that can eventually make them leak.

This is not the only problem that can occur with axials, but I have seen it several times. If an axial valve only works for one or two days after applying oil, there is definitely something going on that needs to be addressed. If a tech is just cleaning it, reapplying lubricants and it still does not work, you need to get it to someone who can get to the root of the problem.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:39 am I think many people assume that axials are perfectly fit from the factory or that the after-market kits are also perfectly fit. I have seen many axials in which the plate was too tight against the spinning valve, even when the threaded ring was not fully tightened. If it is too tight, it doesn’t matter how much lube you put in there……it just won’t operate properly.
Bach also assumed this, which is why many of their early 42T trombones had a lot of end play in the valves. Part of the fitting process was adjusting / removing metal from the top of the casing.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

In recent years, I have seen a few examples of the opposite. Maybe due to complaints about loose fitting valves or short-lived valves, but manufacturers seem to be making that plate fit rather snug against the valve. Those have needed a little bit of lapping.

A big issue with axials is the construction all around them. If something around the valve is forced or stressed during the construction, it will have profound impact on the performance of the valve.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Maintenance”