Stanford Jazz Institute Workshop

bimmerman

Stanford Jazz Institute Workshop

Post by bimmerman »

Anyone from here going? I'm attending the 7/29-8/4 portion.
BflatBass

Re: Stanford Jazz Institute Workshop

Post by BflatBass »

I'm not going but I was just wondering, is this an annual thing?
I'm thinking maybe next year if I can afford it.

Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

BflatBass wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm I'm not going but I was just wondering, is this an annual thing?
I'm thinking maybe next year if I can afford it.

Robert
Yeah, me too. I just went to the JA Camp last week. It was just great, but I'm thinking the weather in PaloAlto might be more... temperate!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

Yep, annual event going back a few decades apparently. This will be the first time I've attended, and am pretty excited!

The weather here's hard to beat in the summer...
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

Update!

Last week was the Jazz Institute, and I had a blast. I'm a terrible improviser, having not intensively studied it except for the last couple months, so I got a lot out of the camp. The majority of people there were much better though, so it was motivating to see and hear them and talk with them. The camp definitely caters to a variety of skillsets-- some college-bound jazz majors, some adult hobbyists of various skill levels (new to experienced), and skilled younglings.

It's structured pretty well. Each day has a variety of classes and playing opportunities. The cool part is that none of the schedule is prescribed aside from your combo-- you can go to any of the classes that you want.

9-10a Theory Class (Options: beginning/intermediate/advanced/piano/applications of theory)
10-12 Instrument-specific Masterclass (Wycliffe Gordon for trombones, this year)
12-1 Lunch
1-2:30 "Special" Presentations (think of it like masterclasses on a specific topic. Topics I went to were Sing-then-Play (by Wycliffe), Transcribing tips and tricks (Melissa Aldana), Crafting Melodies from Chords (Rob Kohler)
2:30-4:30 "Early" Combo (if you're in Late combo, then free time)-- I practiced and reviewed stuff during the time
4:30-6:30 "Late" Combo (if you're in Early combo, then free time) -- you are only in one combo.
6:30-8 Dinner break
8-10p Nightly concert from camp faculty or special guests -- Charles McPherson, Jimmy Heath, Taylor Eigsti, Melissa Aldana, Jeb Patton, Yosvany Terry, etc etc. Great lineup.
10-?? Jam sessions for students, or go watch faculty jam session

It was an amazing, humbling, and motivating experience. Can't wait to do it again.

Return to “Performance”