Yamaha trombones - 8xx and 4xx

JonTheCadet

Yamaha trombones - 8xx and 4xx

Post by JonTheCadet »

Hi all,

I've been looking around for a decently-priced trombone, and I have found 2 trombones that are for sale, both by Yamaha, for the same price. Below are the model numbers:

YSL-882O
YSL-456G

Both are for sale for around £600.

As far as from what I can search on the internet, the 456G is only sold in Japan (so how did it end up in the UK?) and the 882O is from the Xeno line. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Xenoes their professional line?

I would like some opinions regarding how they play/feel. I know either one of them is overpriced/underpriced. I just couldn't tell. They are both large-bore tenors, right?

Regards,

Jon
greenbean

Re: Yamaha trombones - 8xx and 4xx

Post by greenbean »

I can say that the 882 is great deal unless it is a beater! I would investigate further.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Are you sure it’s a 456G? That horn has a small shank, dual bore at .500/.525, F attachment, and an 8” bell. It’s marketed as an intermediate, but it’s a really nice trombone. The 8820 is a large-bore tenor with an F attachment and an 8.66” bell. Xeno is one of their pro lines (Custom Z is the other), and they’re really top-notch horns. There’s a variant of the 8820 with a reversed tuning slide (8820R) that plays differently than the 8820. £600 is a little much for a 456G, but it’s an absolute steal for an 8820 in decent condition. Think 88H instead of Bach 42. For that kind of money, I’d buy the Xeno on pictures alone. Even if it needed a slide job, you’re still going to come out way ahead unless there’s severe structural damage to the instrument. The Xenos I’ve played play really well, have largely handmade components, and the craftsmanship is very nice.

Matt
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

If you are sure that there aren’t anything BADLY wrong with the 800 series, grab it. The normal price for secondhand 800 series in good shape (in Japan though), even for the cheapest 820G, is around $800.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
JonTheCadet

Post by JonTheCadet »

Thanks for the replies.

The 882O does show some oxidation on the bell, but the lacquer on the gooseneck seems fine. The 456G is in good condition as well.

I think I know which one to buy... only if I'm not 7 weeks late to the listing. Last time I checked it's sold.

Regards,

Jon

*hitlerian rage arises*

Return to “Instruments”