In bell trombone stand

Harpcat

In bell trombone stand

Post by Harpcat »

Does anyone make a good in bell stand for small bore like a Yamaha 697Z?
walldaja

Re: In bell trombone stand

Post by walldaja »

I like the Hercules in-bore stand. Beats carrying a stand separately; however, it does add a little weight to your case. After playing and before putting the horn up, I take it out. I've found it picks up condensation from the warm bell and I had one that had serious rust problems. It's replacement is doing just fine. Here's a link to Hercules:

http://herculesstands.com/us/products/w ... /trombone/
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I've yet to use one that I felt comfortable using with anything more support stantial than a pbone myself. I've only tried the Hercules though so it's possible there's something I don't know about
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I can tell you one to avoid: the K&M in-bell. Mine broke and could not be fixed. Most K&M stands are really good, but this one isn't.

Hercules is probably the only other game for an in-bell. I know somebody who uses one and likes it.

I use a regular stand. I have the K&M 14980 and it works pretty well. The real top of the line is the K&M 14990, which is even good for a bass trombone. All NOT in-bell.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I'm confused. What is an "in bell" trombone stand? I have the K&M 14990, and it has a flared rubber stopper on a tube which is placed inside the bell and is what holds the trombone in place. I thought that was an "in bell" holder.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122938910836?chn=ps
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

In-bell. Means you can break it down and store it in the bell while in the case.

I have 2 in-bell stands. One is the Hercules and the other is a no-name. Neither is very sturdy, and I only use them at home. The Hercules is the better of the two. The other is light aluminum tubes, and will lift off the ground by sticking to the bell when the horn is lifted.

I wouldn't use either on a rickety stage. On a solid floor I might use the Hercules. I usually carry an Aida stand, which is not in-bell, but it's light and fairly sturdy. The trombone is an inherently unstable shape to hold up. It's top heavy, and supporting it by the bell can actually bend the bell. Stands are both overkill and still unstable. The Hercules hand grip stand is probably the best in terms of stability, but it doesn't fit in the bell .
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

The Hercules stand is a piece of crap. I bought one online from Horn Guys and have been meaning to return it. It has four legs for some reason, and wobbles frighteningly, as only three of the legs contact the ground at any given moment. I had high hopes for it- I carry my stand separately. I still do. I don't trust my horns to such a wobbly stand.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

paulyg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:56 pm The Hercules stand is a piece of crap. I bought one online from Horn Guys and have been meaning to return it. It has four legs for some reason, and wobbles frighteningly, as only three of the legs contact the ground at any given moment. I had high hopes for it- I carry my stand separately. I still do. I don't trust my horns to such a wobbly stand.
Is it possible that one of the legs is bent or is not deploying properly? My friend doesn't seem to have that problem.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

paulyg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:56 pm The Hercules stand is a piece of crap. ...
This overstates the case significantly. It's not a "piece of crap".

Yes, technically, a plane is established by 3 points, but with the flex in the stand and the corresponding flex in a floor like a carpet, the 4 leg base actually provides a more stable footing than a 3 leg base. The inscribed circle of the square is larger than the inscribed circle of the triangle by over 25%, and this circle represents the tilt line if the stand were to fall over, so there is a benefit to a 4 leg stand over a 3 leg stand. In the end, only 2 legs have value, and those are the two supporting it as the stand tilts before it falls over.

Would I use Hercules on a wobbly stage? No. Do I carry it with me (ever)? No. But I use it at home, and if I had to travel where weight and/or space were a premium, I might take it.
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

K&M 15270.
The stand Bruce loves to hate!
If I had bought one and had it break I would doubtless feel the same way.
I have owned and used one frequently for about 25 years with no problems. I only use it in areas which are stable and protected as it can be wobbly. I always give the base a good spin and let inertia tighten it in place. It is not unusual to have to re-tighten it after getting in my place. If the base is not tight it is very wobbly.
It is expensive!
When I bought mine it seems like I paid about $70. For that price it should be better than it is! I think it is even more expensive now.
If you don't absolutely need a compact package for traveling / carrying, I suggest the old reliable Hamilton stand and some bungee cords to hold it to the case.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Wobbly wasn't the problem. The cone was. I wanted to like it, but apparently it didn't like me.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
DiegoStine

Post by DiegoStine »

I've used a Hercules stand. They're ideally made for tenors, my bass makes it lean uncomfortably to one side. It's too weak to support a bass.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

anyone tried the new one from the Netherlands? I forget the name.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

I’m also curious...
—Julien—
Courtois Xtreme AC430TL - XO 1634LT
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I have 3 in-bell stands. Hercules, K&M, and some no name I can't identify.

The no name is lightest, smallest, and easiest to collapse/setup. Made from aluminum tubes. From an efficiency point of view, this is my favorite. It is so light that if you don't have a sock on the cone, it will stick to the instrument when you pick it up. As light as it is, it is still reasonably stable. Would not use on a stage with clumsy trombone players around.

The Hercules seems most stable, but is not exactly easy to collapse, although still better than the K&M. From an engineering design and function point of view, this is my favorite.

The K&M has the poorest function and is difficult to collapse/setup. The big problem with this for me is that when you pick it up to move it, the double hinged legs dangle like a dead chicken, and getting them all splayed out again is difficult with one hand, worse yet if you have the trombone on the stand. Also, to collapse it, you have to disassemble and reassemble it backwards. Overdone in that uniquely German way.

I have to say, though, that the carbon fiber stand in the previous post looks pretty nice, but about 3x the cost I could justify for a stand.

whitbey

Post by whitbey »

PaKETaZ wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:35 am

I’m also curious...
This is one to watch.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium