Bach 1864 case fit?

pompatus

Bach 1864 case fit?

Post by pompatus »

I’ve got a spare Bach 50B slide, with no case or box to store it in. I have a chance to pick up an old case from a Bach 36 straight horn, very cheaply, but it’s a 2 hour drive away. The case is the old brown “leather” covered 1864 style Bach from the early 90’s and prior. I can find next to no information about the old Bach Stradivarius 1864 cases. If it’s listed as fitting everything up to a 42, and the 42 slides use a bass crook, is it safe to assume it’d hold a 50B slide okay? I just need it to hold the slide, and not a bell section. Does anyone have experience with these old cases, or have one laying around that you could check with a 50B slide?

Many thanks, for any response or information.

Terry

Burgerbob

Re: Bach 1864 case fit?

Post by Burgerbob »

If it fits a 42 slide safely, it'll fit a 50 slide.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My 36C came in a case like this. The case is intended for 36 and 42 models.

If you don't need to open it a lot, consider a Slide Doctor box. They are pretty reasonable.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

I had been intending to buy a Slide Doctor box, but I can get this case for half the cost of having one shipped to me. I appreciate the info, guys, thanks!
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

pompatus wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:47 pm Does anyone have experience with these old cases, or have one laying around that you could check with a 50B slide?
I have a 50 slide, but a student of mine is borrowing my 36B in the 1864 case. We have a lesson tomorrow; I'll try to remember to take the slide to check.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Thanks, Larry. I’m going to meet the guy today, and will be taking my bass along to check slide fit. I’ll post regarding the success or failure of the endeavor when I return home, in case anyone else has a similar question in the future.
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

I have a straight 42 in a similar but not identical case. Mine has the two mouthpiece holes nearer the middle and an open box shaped area at the right hand end.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

I just got home with the case. It’s not a looker, and I wouldn’t trust it to protect a horn on tour, but it’ll work great for storing an extra slide. I confirmed that my spare 50 slide would fit before I handed over any cash. I feel like I got a pretty good deal for $20, and with new hinges it’ll be a great case overall.

Return to “Accessories”