88H Trigger

Goodgig

88H Trigger

Post by Goodgig »

I just bought a Conn 88H made in 1972. Great condition, except the F trigger, mounting brace and linkage to the rotor is missing. Rotor is not damaged. Since I have to replace these parts, I was wondering if any aftermarket improvements are available for the 88H trigger that serve the purpose and, even better, make it more ergonomic friendly. Conn Selmer charges an unreasonable amount for these parts from what I see.
Posaunus

Re: 88H Trigger

Post by Posaunus »

I have a 1972 88H - the rotor (with string linkage) works great. I think it's a lot more ergonomic than other F-attachment valves I have used. I don't think the open-wrap versions of the 88H are really any better. This is still my favorite large-bore trombone!

There are some fine trombone technicians around the country - perhaps near you (some members of TromboneChat) who could probably fix this up - with original equipment parts - so that you would then own a real treasure of a trombone!
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Good advice on using the original parts and string linkage. Thanks!
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I like 88H's a lot but simply cannot play the original set up due to the intense pain the trigger will cause me. If it were my horn, I would put a more modern set up where the trigger comes in from the left of the thumb (looking down at it). In addition, a modern trigger with a mechanical linkage will help resale, IMO, should you sell the horn. Something to think about.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Would not want thumb or hand pain if it can be avoided. Didn’t they make an adjuable paddle on 88Hs?
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Goodgig wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:23 pm Would not want thumb or hand pain if it can be avoided. Didn’t they make an adjuable paddle on 88Hs?
The older style of trigger on Elkharts and Gen I horns is literally just a rod. Very comfortable though for a lot of people. That's the type that was originally designed to fit your horn and can be picked up for dirt cheap from a tech.

The newer style on the Gen IIs is the flat paddle thing you can adjust. This did not original come on the vintage 88Hs.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

MeDeacon - Thanks for the background. I think I will go ahead and restore it using original trigger set up.
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Anyone know exactly where I can find the old style 88H string trigger parts for my trombone? Website searches are coming up short.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

It should be easy to locate a tech with one. A tech who had done lots of conversions, etc. Todd Clontz at Rosso Music Repairs in Maryland (410-636-1007), Best Repair in Oakland, or the several tech who are on this forum... Eric Edward, Benn Hansson, John Sandhagen, ...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Modification & Repair”