New Bach 42AF rings at B flat below middle C

JWMbone

New Bach 42AF rings at B flat below middle C

Post by JWMbone »

Has anyone had the experience of a Bach 42AF ringing at B flat below middle C? It seems when the horn is cold it doesn't happen as much, but when warmer it seems to effect the back pressure of the horn. I have held the bell in several places and it seems to reduce the vibration.

Also what are the adjusters for on the bell by the tuning slides?

Any suggestions?
castrubone

Re: New Bach 42AF rings at B flat below middle C

Post by castrubone »

Feeling the horn vibrate with resonance is a good thing IMO! I wouldn't try to dampen it...let it ring! It must be a particularly sweet note on your horn.

The screws are to make disassembly of the axial flow valve section easier when it needs maintenance.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

The bell on my early 90s 42 has always rung very strongly on that Bb
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

My mid 90s 42K rings LOUDLY on As in all registers - but especially on A above Middle C.
JWMbone

Post by JWMbone »

At the time the horn rings it seems to have a restricted air flow as i feel some back pressure. Are others feeling this as well??
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Well there are two kinds of possibly ringing with a horn...

There is when something is ringing in your horn like you have a leak or a loose solder joint. Maybe one of your screws isn't tightened all the way down?

And there is your horn being resonate whether as a whole or just the bell. Which is what the other posters were describing.

I have a feeling you're describing the first one... because the second one should have no effect on how the blow "feels".
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

castrubone wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:52 pm Feeling the horn vibrate with resonance is a good thing IMO! I wouldn't try to dampen it...let it ring! It must be a particularly sweet note on your horn.

The screws are to make disassembly of the axial flow valve section easier when it needs maintenance.
It depends. If you just feel vibration it could be a good thing but if the horn sings it is disturbing. I would not like a horn that behaves like that on certain notes.

/Tom
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have experienced that with some horns that ring too much. There is such a thing as too much bell vibration.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:58 pm I have experienced that with some horns that ring too much. There is such a thing as too much bell vibration.
Agreed. I'd go one further (my personal preference): I don't really like any ringing at all, as it somehow feels like the horn isn't even up and down the horn. If it resonates a lot on Bb, do I need to back off on that note to compensate, for example?

I find a ringing in the horn, anywhere, to be distracting and disturbing.
lauriet

Post by lauriet »

I had the same issue with my brand new Yamaha 354. I hear a ringing when I play C above the staff. I took it back a the tech said there was nothing wrong. No one else seems to hear it. If I twist the slide a little it does reduce, so I am convinced that something is vibrating. I suppose I will have to live with it and hope that one day it will become obvious, but it is a bit 'off putting'

Return to “Instruments”