The Bunker

Spin your yarns here.
BaritoneJack

Re: Burnt

Post by BaritoneJack » Wed May 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Jhereg wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm
In other news. I think it's time to admit I've burnt out on being a musician. Don't feel obligated to respond or convince me otherwise or anything, I'm just thinking out loud. Kind of wish this really were a bar, I feel like this is something to be discussed over a beer.
Yep - been there, done that, still occasionally have nightmares about it, 30 years on; though in my case, it was working with horses, rather than as a pro musician. I ended up feeling as though I was their slave, and hated the sight of them. Getting out of it was a good move, and I only wish I'd done it sooner than I did. For several years, I didn't even want to look at a horse, let alone have anything to do with them. But several years later, when I'd just got an ordinary, 9-5, humdrum job, I started riding again, and thoroughly enjoyed it. No pressure, no demands, none of the relentlessness of having to think about them, and be responsible for them, every waking minute. Now, if I want to ride, I go to the yard, pay the bill, enjoy the ride, and walk away. If I don't feel like going, I don't.

And I remember when I ended up working for a multi-national company; supposedly a 'good job', with prospects, etc, etc, etc - but they treated their staff like cannon fodder. I used to wake up in the morning, think about going there, and groan. It was run on the 'just in time' basis - which meant if anything went wrong, everyone was tearing their hair out, because there was no slack in the system at all. One morning, I went in and was told that a bloke called Bob had been rushed into hospital after a massive heart attack. I was shocked, but not surprised - he was the production manager, and his job was to "get it out by Friday". So guess who took the brunt of the chaos when "just in time" became "OVERDUE!" ? That's right - Bob. He was just 41.

That night, I started looking for another job. Two weeks later, they sacked me - "not temperamentally suited to the company's ethos". Damn right, I wasn't! I walked up the road with my severance pay in my pocket, feeling as though I'd been let out of prison!

I believe it was Artie Shaw who was phoned up one day by his agent who had yet another string of bookings for him. Shaw said forget it, and intimated that if he had to play 'Begin the Beguine' once more, he wouldn't be held accountable for his actions. The agent pressed him, and asked what he was supposed to say to the people who wanted to book him. Shaw said "Tell them I'm insane."

"How do you mean?", asked his agent.

Shaw replied "If an all-American boy turns down a lot of money, wouldn't you say that he was insane?"

Sometimes, Megan, in order to take good care of yourself, you have to let the rest of the world go hang. Those who care about you will cut you all the slack you need, and still be there for you. Those who won't are no loss.

God bless.

Jack
PhilipEdCarlson

Re: The Bunker

Post by PhilipEdCarlson » Wed May 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Lawrie wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm
A couple of us were thinking about collective nouns for trombones the other day. In having a look around the internet for suggestions I found a reference to a "plague" of conductors :D :D :D
This Skeleton (¿group of trombones?) got together at a local Jazz Jam last night!
20180529_223549.jpg
Skelton Jam
20180529_223549.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 329 times
With so mmy members of this forum together in real life it was like a Virtual Trombone Chat. You know, like any artificial Online Community. Live Action Internet. My wife, Sarah (who took this pic) suggested afterword that we should have a trombone party at the house this summer. Wonder how the neighbors would feel about that!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am

Wow, you guys are really young!

I'm used to thinking our group is mostly old furts like me.

I was at a conference for work last week, and we talked a bit about generations. To my surprise most of the group was GenX - in the past they've been Boomers like me. When I got back I checked my own workplace. We're about half and half, plus a couple of token Silent and Millennials.

Community bands in my area have tended to be older, white, and male, but that's changing a bit. I played with a different group last night and they were on average younger.
badger

Post by badger » Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm

I guess hanging from the ceiling like that must be some late night tomfoolery.
Vampires?
StevenC

Post by StevenC » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

timothy42b wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am
Community bands in my area have tended to be older, white, and male, but that's changing a bit. I played with a different group last night and they were on average younger.
The groups around here tend to have pretty good age and gender diversity. It's good for the group.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:22 am

badger wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm
Vampires?
what's that about?
It did that in Preview too, so I knew it'd be upside-down. I tried editing the original pic. Flipped it upside-down thinking TC would flip it right side up. That didn't work so I went back to the original.
timothy42b wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am
Wow, you guys are really young!

I'm used to thinking our group is mostly old furts like me.
At 54, I'm the oldest in this pic by nearly a decade and a half!
I'm usually on the young end in the Community Groups I play in, so, it is nice to hang out with some young people. I'm definitely on the older end in my department at work though!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 am

Uh oh, a week since the last post.

I just want to share some success I'm proud of, even if it drives my family nuts.

On August 21, 2015, I went to our work Wellness Center and had them evaluate my health. I'd hovered around 180 the past two decades. They stuck me in a Bodpod to determine my body composition, and an oxygen hood to find my metabolic resting rate. Yup, overweight at 30.1% body fat. They made recommendations for calories per day, etc. I came down 22 pounds quickly and stabilized. My friends said I looked too skinny, but when I went back in I was still overweight at 22%. Last September at 155 pounds (I'm 5'10") I was still overweight. But I felt pretty good. They have my photo up in the Wellness Center holding 20 pounds of simulated fat, as a success story.

This spring I decided to take off a little more and see if I could get below that magic 20% body fat percentage. Today I weighed 141 and am officially no longer overweight at 15.8% fat. Dropping the first 30 pounds was easy, but the last 10 were hard fought.

On trombone I'm struggling with endurance a bit, I wonder if the recent weight loss affects it. I've dropped a bit in bench press strength too. Per the Bodpod, since September I've dropped 12 pounds of fat and 3 of nonfat. That isn't necessarily muscle, it can be water etc. and varies quite a bit. My disc golf drive stubbornly refuses to increase, but that's more a form issue rather than strength.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Good for you, Timothy! I was 194 when I retired two months ago, am down 8 pounds. Nothing special, just not tied to a computer or steering wheel all day five days a week, and not being on the road I don't eat fast food and soft drinks near as much as I used to. No need to "reward" myself with a donut or 32 oz. fountain drink (or both if I was REALLY bad) on the way home on a day with 7 hours on site and four hours driving.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm

PhilipEdCarlson wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:22 am
badger wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm
Vampires?
what's that about?
It did that in Preview too, so I knew it'd be upside-down. I tried editing the original pic. Flipped it upside-down thinking TC would flip it right side up. That didn't work so I went back to the original.
Fixed: :)
jam_session_june_2018.jpg
jam_session_june_2018.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 167 times
JPEG files sometimes have a property that is auto set when you take the picture that records the orientation of the phone. Thusly, this was taken 'upside down' relative to what it was expecting. So even when you rotate it, the change isn't persistent (it doesn't wipe out that orientation). Why anyone would find that a useful feature that overrides being rotated is beyond me :idk:

Return to “Tangents”