Edwards CR valves

MTbassbone

Edwards CR valves

Post by MTbassbone »

Anybody have experience with Edwards' CR valve option on bass trombone? Does it come in a dependent setup? Cost of either setup (just the valve set)? Are they lighter (weight) than Thayers?
Neo Bri

Re: Edwards CR valves

Post by Neo Bri »

I don't know about Edwards CR valves, but I thought that Kanstul makes CR valves. Am I confused, or you?

Or both of us, perhaps.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Probably calling the wrong thing. I am talking about the traditional rotor on the T350-CR-E and B454-CR-E.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

For Getzen/Edwards, I believe it it either stands for "Custom Reserve" or "Conventional Rotor" based on their marketing material.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Kanstul CR = controlled resistance
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Confusing & Ridiculous?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Conn-Selmer
Bassmike

Post by Bassmike »

MTbassbone wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:40 pm Anybody have experience with Edwards' CR valve option on bass trombone? Does it come in a dependent setup? Cost of either setup (just the valve set)? Are they lighter (weight) than Thayers?
I've played on a set for the past year. The valve set is $2395 for an inline set, they're not making a stock dependent.
I haven't weighed my set to see how they compare to my thayer set, but I don't notice a big difference between the two. They are fantastic valves.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Kind of reaffirms my belief that pretty much everyone is making god valves now.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:41 pm Kind of reaffirms my belief that pretty much everyone is making god valves now.
Submerged in holy water before shipment? :wink:
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Matt K wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm
Neo Bri wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:41 pm Kind of reaffirms my belief that pretty much everyone is making god valves now.
Submerged in holy water before shipment? :wink:
Holy Blue Juice. Hetman's translates to Heathen's.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have one of these valves. Had it for a few years. It is simply great! I love how it does not feel heavy in the upper register as the horn just vibrates very nice. In the lower range it puts out. I can get a low C pretty good then if I pull the slide a bit I can nail it. The sound is very smooth when the valve is rotated. No pops.
My valve in on a 547 horn and bounces between two 547 horns. I did not like the bigger valves as they made the horn play heavy. This is a regular valve that has been designed as every thing worked over can be. It also has the sound pillar that can also be helpful. It has always been trouble free.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

MTbassbone wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:40 pm Anybody have experience with Edwards' CR valve option on bass trombone? Does it come in a dependent setup? Cost of either setup (just the valve set)? Are they lighter (weight) than Thayers?
They do come in dependent. I inquired about this when they first introduced the CR valves and I was on the hunt for a bass.

I can't remember what wrap they come in though... I think they either come in a wrap similar to the Getzen 1062 or in a wrap similar to the Edwards Pagano bass. Like I said I can't remember for sure how they build them.

Just a heads up though... They did tell me the wait on a dependent setup would be realllly long (and this was back about 4 or 5 years ago). They basically have to make to order the dependent setups since there isn't much demand for them. The wait could be anywhere from 3 months to almost a year depending on where you are on the wait list.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
GBP

Post by GBP »

I have those valves on a inline bass I use for big band playing. It took me awhile to dial in the right equipment (slide, mouthpiece and those things that screw in), but once I get that squared away, it turned out great. I have great range on the horn and it plays loud without much effort. I was so impressed, I ordered a 502i that will hopefully be here in August.

Return to “Instruments”