WTB: Bach 36 slide only!

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
InstantMapleSyrup

WTB: Bach 36 slide only!

Post by InstantMapleSyrup » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Cats,

After much deliberating and reminiscing about when I played a nice medium bore horn - I am looking to buy a Bach 36 slide for my current tenor (Bach 42). As far as I know, it should just fit? If I'm on the wrong track here please let me know - but otherwise do let me know if you have one for sale. I'm aware of one on eBay, but it looks like the buyer is located in Italy, which means that the customs charges will be huge along with a long wait.

Thank you,
dukesboneman

Re: WTB: Bach 36 slide only!

Post by dukesboneman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:02 pm

The Brass Exchange has one i believe
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:07 pm

As far as I understand, a 36 slide does not fit a 42 without modifying either the tenon or the receiver.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Massimo Pirone has a Corporation 36 slide for sale in some Facebook groups.

Granada Brass
Almería Symphony Orchestra
greenbean

Post by greenbean » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:30 pm

InstantMapleSyrup wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:53 pm
... but it looks like the buyer is located in Italy, which means that the customs charges will be huge along with a long wait.

I have read repeatedly that custom charges kick in at $800 for some items. I don't know which types of items are subject and which are not. But I do know that I bought a horn from a guy in Italy for $1000+ and I didn't pay anything. FWIW.

Also you will have to put a new tenon on a 36 slide.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:01 pm

I've sent some horns to the USA from Spain and the buyers did not have to pay any taxes. However, from the US to Spain, I do have to pay... :weep:
Granada Brass
Almería Symphony Orchestra
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:37 am

A 36 slide will screw onto a 42 bell but the 36 tenon is smaller than a 42 receiver. And if you find a 42 tenon, it will need some shimming with a sleeve to fit because there's quite a bit of difference in size between 36 and 42 tubes. If you really want that combination, it would make more sense to put a 42 bell flare on an existing 36 bell section.
baileyman

Post by baileyman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trombone-Bach- ... SwCDZa0n~W

Started out high. Getting more reasonable now.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 pm

baileyman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 pm

That was the aforementioned one that OP was concerned about paying the duty on it. Still seems like a good price even if it were to add 50% additional cost though!
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm

baileyman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 pm

$70 shipping! HAHAHAHAHA. That's pricey.

Post by MichaelMedrick » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:44 am

I have 42/36 set up for me by Eric Edwards. I was playing a 36GLW when the "Madness" overtook me.
Our project is based on mating the 42 bell to pre-existing tuning slides and neck pipes. The 42 and 36 differ only at the tenon connecting the slide to the bell. The neck pipe and tuning slides are the same.

I'm also enjoying a dual bore .525-.547 slide Eric Edwards set up for me. I think Bach has really missed the boat by not delving into "stock" convertible parts. A less overbuilt, less resistant trombone may not suit players that are full time orchestral performers, but many trombonists work in situations offering a variety of performing situations. .547 tenors set up for orchestral playing are not that pleasant for working solo literature either.

Have fun! It is worth it!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I have not had to pay duty shipping US-built horns back into the US (from Canada). There is paperwork that kicks in at the $800 level. There is additional paperwork that is required at the ~$2700 level (a bond for potential duties/taxes).

The shipping cost appears reasonable to me.

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”