Modern Bach 6.5 vs Faxx 6.5 Build Differences?

Pre59

Modern Bach 6.5 vs Faxx 6.5 Build Differences?

Post by Pre59 »

Does anyone own a modern V/B 6.5 AL AND a Faxx 6.5AL?

In January I blew a lot of money on a Kurun and Gilbert T6B which I like a lot, but then I found a Faxx 6.5AL that I forgot that I owned..

The issue is that the Faxx 6.5 AL has something of the V/B 11C tone that I used to like but the rim was never wide enough for me.

In view of how variable Bach mp’s have been I’m a little cautious about buying a 6.5 variant untested.
Last edited by Pre59 on Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davidus1

Re: Modern Bach 6.5 vs Faxx 6.5 Build Differences?

Post by Davidus1 »

I own both and find them to be very close if not identical. Again, my opinion. I have play tested them back to back and find them to be the same in response and sound. Best wishes in your search!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Thanks. I was wondering about getting a V/B 6.5 "A" for the occasional big-band gig if the "AL" turns out to be a little too broad. Am loving the Faxx though, shame that I had to spend so much on the K+G which does tick most of the boxes apart from the 11C factor..
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I've found that many different mouthpiece manufacturers vary quite a bit from one piece to the next.
I've had some very good success going to a larger shop, and spending time playing every copy of a particular size that they have.
Once I spent half an hour going through 20 different 5Gs.
It might not seem like an efficient process, but I still play that piece quite a bit 25 years and many, many pieces later.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I remember trying a V/B 6.5AL decades ago that had a very rounded rim that didn't work for me. That might why I didn't try the Faxx 6.5 seriously when I bought on Ebay for next to nothing, thinking that I might sell it on..

Return to “Mouthpieces”